Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown tree frog from egg to tadpole, will update

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Post Brown tree frog from egg to tadpole, will update

july 23rd litoria ewingi eggs obtained and taken home via bus and 30 minute walk which mixed the water up and shaked the eggs around also when i tried putting the eggs in the bottle they slid over the side of the bottle and i had to handle them a lot but managed to get the goey egg mass in the bottle and besides the rough handling they all seem to be developing, also one very small tadpole not active probably a few days old from a different egg batch water temp 11 degrees C not good lighting conditions etc for clear pics:

july 24th water ph photo and temperature 11 - 14 degrees C

july 26th closeup of egg developing and water ph water temp 8 degrees C at night on 25th and 11 degrees C in day :

27th water temp 11 to 14 degrees:

july 30th now 3 tadpoles have left the clear 'jelly' stuff they were in, water temp 16 degrees C today ph the same also a new pic of the random tadpole from another older egg clump which is still just sticking to things but fatter and darker swims around in circles then sticks to something for a long time:

31st july tadpoles are still quite small 0.75 cm from tail tip and still inactive just swimming to a different spot occassionally, water temperature 10 -16 degrees C, ph still 7, 10 hours natural but not direct and shaded light and terrarium then gets about 7 hours of light from six 18W 'cool white' flourescents:

3rd of august 2011, a few tadpoles are now slightly more active and fattening up, water temp 11 - 19 degrees C, heres an average size tadpole:

4th of august, water temp minimum 10(night) maximum 19 (day) degrees C here is 2 tadpoles:

6th of august 2011, tadpoles now noticably more active and vary in size although from same tadpole egg batch, water temp 13 night 19 day, also i have uploaded a video:

2. This member thanks dlordoftheflies for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: brown tree frog from egg to tadpole, will update

Wow, what a post. Well done and thanks for sharing!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Exclamation whistling tree frog from egg to tadpole, UPDATED VIDEO ewingi tadpoles love lettuce.

Tadpoles love lettuce, this article is an update for the first article found here: http://www.frogforum.net/introductio...html#post69447

Today at exactly 4 weeks old from egg (23 july till 20th august) i have taken some interesting updated videos of the fastly growing tadpoles, according to most websites it takes 12 weeks to 6 months for litoria ewingi tadpoles to develop into frogs but at this rate in 20 degrees water im guessing it might only take my wee fellas 2 months.

the water ph has stayed on average around 7 but fluctuates between 6.8 and 7.4, and the water temp ive managed to keep at 20 celcius in daytime and down to as low as 14 at night but 17 degrees at night is the average water temperature ( i use both a digital thermometer and also a mercury thermometer ), as you'll see in this video litoria ewingi tadpoles really do actually love lettuce:

and here is another video of tadpoles frenzied eating of lettuce :

Heres an interesting video taken 2 weeks ago which shows how a 2 week old brown tree frog tadpole reared in water on average only 6 degrees C warmer at 20 degrees C than the cooler water reared tadpole of the same age which it's water temperature is on average 14 degrees C, the warmer reared ewingi tadpole is almost twice the size of the same age cool water raised tadpole and also the tadpoles reared in the warmer water are a lot more active.
    also interestingly this video i took just minutes after i moved a tadpole from the warm pool to the colder pool,so it shows how the larger tadpole from a darker lined pool is a lot darker looking because it has come from a black plastic lined pool and the pale smaller tadpole is from a clear plastic aquarium with lower light, but the dark tadpole soon changed pale after i took this video. also ewingi tadpoles change a pale light colour at night when the light is switched off so i guess this is camoulflage (2 WEEKS OLD):

i have been adding this product which removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia and also 'detoxifies nitrate and nitrite' and 'provides slime coat', everytime i change the water (every day 1 tenth of the water i change) :

Name:  proime 001.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  68.9 KB

and this is a quick photo ive just taken of the skeleton that remains of the lettuce three hours later actually right now just as i'm finishing this post their like little piranhas :

Name:  skeleton lettuce.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  55.7 KB

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: whistling tree frog from egg to tadpole, UPDATED VIDEO ewingi tadpoles love lettuce.

Thanks for updating us!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: whistling tree frog from egg to tadpole, UPDATED VIDEO ewingi tadpoles love lettuce.

update

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Post UPDATE 3rd september tadpoles with legs

UPDATE AT 3rd of september 2011, these ewingi tadpoles started developing back legs just after 4 weeks and its now 6 weeks after i found these eggs.
    they are noticably not quite as active as when they were younger and seem to rest on the bottom more often, the water temp i have managed to keep at about 19 degrees during daylight hours (16 hous per day), the ph has stayed around 7.0, here they are at 6 weeks today :

if you cant see this try this link litoria ewingii tadpoles 6 weeks old back legs growing bigger - YouTube

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: UPDATE 3rd september tadpoles with legs

sunday 4th, ill add that its taking them a very long time to eat the lettuce i have feed them compared to normal, thier behaviour has certainly changed, they are not as active. illl also add that last year i had a few hundred of these tadpoles caught not from egg but as small tadpoles then placed into my aquarium, but after they started developing back legs and almost front legs every single one was dying so i released them and lost hope, i think it may have been a disease i also noticed that a few of them had difficulty swimming and would swim round in a circle very fast as if they had no ability to swim straight, i havent noticed this this year and i rinsed the eggs before putting them in the tank this year, and te old tank and equipment is gone, its all new gear, so we'll see in the next few weeks...

Default Re: brown tree frog from egg to tadpole, will update

Hope everything goes the way you want it.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default UPDATE 8 september, tadpole trying to beach itself..

8th september 6 weeks and 4 days
    about from what i can count 6 or 7 of the tadpoles are more further ahead in leg development than the others (they are all from the same egg 'jelly' thing except for 1 tadpole which is a week older which may have left the water already and could be hiding) these clips are a few shots i decided to take today when i had the opportunity of three different ewingii tadpoles almost about to pop out their front arms :
    if you cant see this try this link 6 weeks 5 day old litoria ewingi tadpole quite sharp focus in this clip - YouTube

heres an ewingi tadpole trying to beach itself :
    if you cant see this either try this link 6 weeks 5 days old litoria ewingi tadpole trying to beach itself.MOV - YouTube

and this one i didnt get much footage of because it was brief but this tadpole is clearly getting the brown tree frog markings on its back now :

if you cant see this try this link : dlordvid2.MOV - YouTube

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Post Exactly 7 weeks old video of 4 legged litoria ewingii tadpole...

Today the 10th of september i got a video shot of a litoria ewingi tadpole with 4 legs, it will be leaving the water in the next few days, very quick for average 19 degrees water during daylight and down to 14 at night, here it is
    if you cant see this video try this link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCfXWKXNRWs

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Exactly 7 weeks old video of 4 legged litoria ewingii tadpole...

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default a brown tree frog tadpole froglet first emerges from the water video

7 weeks and 1 day, the 11th of september i got this froglet emerging from the water today, hes moved two centimetres in the last two hours and his tail is shrivelling up
    if you cant see this video try this link : A brown tree frog tadpole frog emerges from the water - YouTube

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: a brown tree frog tadpole froglet first emerges from the water video

another video a few hours later litoria ewingi froglet with tail - YouTube

Default Re: a brown tree frog tadpole froglet first emerges from the water video

Awesome........ Congratulations on the new froglet.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

another video of one climbing the wall
    litoria ewingii froglet figuring its legs out a.mov - YouTube

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Post litoria ewingii frogs from egg took 7 weeks (week 8 now)

i found these eggs in this photo on july 23rd at coordinates of (copy and paste into google earth: 43°33'33.50"S, 172°34'15.99"E )

Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture14214t-closeup-l.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  4.6 KB
    Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture14213-brown-tree.jpg
Views: 4395
Size:  74.0 KB

its now the 17th of september and over the last week most of these eggs have become frogs, the first one i noticed only took seven weeks 1 day to become a frog, now at the 8 week mark about half maybe a little bit less than that have become frogs heres some photos:

Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture17265-litoria-ew.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture17272-ruler-lito.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  109.7 KB
    Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture17266-litoria-ew.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  73.7 KB
    Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture17267-brown-tree.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  92.7 KB
    Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture17498-litoria-ew.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  81.7 KB
    Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture17497-two-litori.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  75.5 KB
    Name:  dlordoftheflies-albums-various-photos-litoria-ewingii-litoria-raniformis-picture17269-litoria-ew.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  99.5 KB

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Red face litoria ewingii sees rain (bottle sprayer) for the first time and eats the droplets before jumping away and looking back, i found it quite a

litoria ewingii sees rain (bottle sprayer) for the first time and eats the droplets before jumping away and looking back, i found it quite amusing.
    heres the video:

if you cant see it try this link:
    litoria ewingii sees water for the first time and eats droplets before running away amusing.MOV - YouTube

frogface

Default Re: litoria ewingii sees rain (bottle sprayer) for the first time and eats the droplets before jumping away and looking back, i found it qui

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! LOL at that last video, too cute.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default ewingii sees fruit flies for the first time, uses its hands to flick food into mouth

heres a video of one spotting fruitflies for the first time, watch how it uses its hands quite a lot to flick food into its mouth, i thought they only used their mouth

litoria ewingii gets its first treat of fruitflies - YouTube

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Blog Entries

Default video of litoria ewingii investigating the terrarium roof upside down (with mission impossible soundtrack)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information