clownonfire

Default Article: Choosing a Frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I love this article! Would it be OK if I printed this off and took it to work to use there (if the boss agrees)? I work at a little mom & pop pet store and I think something like this would be good to have on hand for any customers who are looking to get frogs. It will (hopefully) make them stop and think before impulse buying. ...I need to find something like this on all the animals we have in the store.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Article: Choosing a Frog

I don't think the author would object. Go ahead.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

Well said Eric very helpful article and lots of pros and cons lol

mzbluntz

i recently bought a backyard safari outcritters kit 2in1 wet and dry and don't know what kind of tadapole/frog would be right for it and i am very new to this

the kit is approximately

12.5"L x 8"H x 6.5"W

PLEASE HELP ME OUT and been looking for a decent tadpole for it and that can also be comfortable as a frog in it

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Mzbluntz, I think you should start your own thread for this.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

phrog73

great info and no bull to the obsessive thing, within a month i have a three by three glass enclosure eight feet tall in my living room with eleven grey tree frogs and couldnt live without my new friends and their croakin but i am always lookin to learn more to make them as happy as i can so if you know of any grey-specific sites i,ld love to know

CaterpillarArts

This is a really good resource, I'll definitely point people to this article in the future. I especially liked the what you should know sections - that's the kind of thing that most general care guides/introductions leave out.

Skylar

Hello, My daughter and I are turning my 120 gallon fish tank into a terarrium to house a variety of tree frogs and possibly day gekos or some other land creature. Since I am in the very beginning stages of this, and I have gotten a variety of different answers from pet places, I have a few questions I was hoping you could answer. First, do I need a special light or can I use the light I used for my fish and provide some sort of spot lighting for the heat? From what I gathered from some of the forums, the tree frogs do not need the UVB light but I wanted to make sure and I am wondering if the gekos would need it? What would be the best tree frogs to mix, I know we definitely want a Red-eyed and were thinking a small Whites and some others that are all approximately the same size. Were the gold dusted day geckos a good recommendation to live with the tree frogs or would you recommend a different roommate for the frogs? I was thinking about putting glass on one side of the top and metal mesh on the other to help keep the humidity in and purchasing a fogger, do you have any other recommendations to control humidity in such a large tank? I think that is all for now, but I may have more as we go along. I am so thankful this site exists.

Thank You!!!

ethanv1

Thank you this is so awesome!!!!

Petlover500

Very helpful! I will always come back to this!!!!

SaraClassic

Made my decision much easier! Thank you for your effort and time in this. (First thread read and first post )

I love Tree Frogs 20

I am thinking about getting either Green Tree frogs or Whites Tree frogs or Red eyed leaf frogs what would you recommend

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

For your first, I would recommend an American green tree frog. I would look into red eyes once you have some experience
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by I love Tree Frogs 20 View Post
    I am thinking about getting either Green Tree frogs or Whites Tree frogs or Red eyed leaf frogs what would you recommend
    Agree with Amy, AGTFs are better for a beginner. Whites are OK if you can provide them a spacious home and meet their ventilation and basking needs: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea. RETFs are challenging and probably will need veterinary care ($$$) and lot's of effort to get healthy if you do not start with healthy stock. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

I love Tree Frogs 20

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    For your first, I would recommend an American green tree frog. I would look into red eyes once you have some experience
    What size Vivarium would to recomend and are AGTF loud Because I have to keep them in my bedroom if there a little loud thats ok but if there super loud like an alarm clock then I won't be able to sleep so is there another Beginner Tree Frog you would Recomemend if so let me know I am also interested in Toads such as Fire Belly and other toads what would you recomend

Nationality
    [United States]

A 12x12x18 can house one or two. They can be loud from what i have heard but i dont think they're at it all night. My whites dont do that but im not sure about the greens. Whites or greys are good species to start out as well

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

I love Tree Frogs 20

I want to house at least two max four so what type of frogs toads or tree frogs are good in groups of Four

Nationality
    [United States]

You would need at least an 18x18x24 to house 4 AGTFs and thats pushing it. You would need an insanely huge tank to house four whites. A 20 gallon to house four fire bellies

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Thread Information