Thread: Red eye tree frog escaped?!

coolicarboy

Default Red eye tree frog escaped?!

I am VERY confused and don't know what to do. My baby red eye tree frog has escaped. I have NO idea how. The top of the tank is covered with a mesh top, and i put a book on top to cover half of it. I noticed that I hadn't seen her in a couple of days, so I decided to look in the tank. Sure enough, shes not there. My room is a MESS because of my pig brother, so I don't know where to start. Im guessing I should put plants and water on the floor? Should I clean up my room first? Is it possible the frog can be hiding in some clothes on the floor or something? Please help, I was very happy to have this frog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red eye tree frog escaped?!

I would get some water dishes and plants out for sure. Make sure you get a very secure lid on there now too, it's amazing what those frogs can slip through!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

coolicarboy

How big should the water dishes be???

This is shocking, there are literally NO holes! Ill take a picture of the tank!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I woke one morning to find one of my gray tree frogs sitting on TOP of the tank. To this day, I have no idea how she got out. I ended up covering the tank with screen and duct taping it on until I moved them to a new viv. It was a pain to take apart for every feeding though.

bshmerlie

Keep the tank closed. If tore apart my tank before and swear the frog escaped only to find him staring at me later that night from inside the tank. Red Eyes blend in really well with the plants. Check again.

coolicarboy

I FOUND HIM! I had searched my whole room and thought to myself, "The bathroom is the only place I haven't checked, AND the lights are off.... Might as well...."

I walked in the bathroom, turned on the light, and boom. There he was sitting on the counter.

All I have to say is..... WHAT A RELIEF!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh good!!!!! I wonder how long he was out of there though! If it's been a few days, he's likely dehydrated and in need of a good meal and some warmth. I've heard of people doing honey soaks after situations like these (a few drops of honey in some water for them to soak in) or pedialyte soaks.

coolicarboy

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Oh good!!!!! I wonder how long he was out of there though! If it's been a few days, he's likely dehydrated and in need of a good meal and some warmth. I've heard of people doing honey soaks after situations like these (a few drops of honey in some water for them to soak in) or pedialyte soaks.
    Yeah this is actually kind of weird. Now that I think about it, Ive never seen him soak, and I don't think he's eaten since ive gotten him. He came with a sick frog so I hope he doesn't have what the other frog had. Also, he's asleep right now, and the lights have been turned off in my room for awhile. Should I soak him? When I put him in the cage, I put him in his water bowl and he jumped right out. :\

I got him like 3 days ago, so maybe he's still stressed?

The other frog that came in today is roaming his separate cage, and ate RIGHT away. So im starting to get a little worried about my little guy.

coolicarboy

Oh gosh, it happened AGAIN.... Im getting a new cage ASAP. This time, I haven't found the little guy. He escaped last night. I noticed when I came home at 2 AM. He was in the cage at around 7PM yesterday. How many plants should I put around? Should I also put them on the furniture? His cage is on a thing with cabinets in it, is it possible he is hiding in one of the cabinets? I also have a bookshelf with lots of scattered books in it. It seems like theres a lot of small spots where he can hide, but I don't think a red eye tree frog would like to hide there. The spots are dusty and don't have any plants around them. Could I be wrong? Is it possible he would hide under the bed or behind the bookshelf or something?

When I have plants all around the room, do you think ill be able to eventually find him? Im worried for my little guy. His name is Budweiser.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Glad you found the little guy.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information