Thread: Red eyed tree frogs and Black eyeds, etc.

Default Red eyed tree frogs and Black eyeds, etc.

Hi all. I am new here, and looking forward to discussions and learning from you all.

I just bought my first 2 red eyed tree frogs today, and have a few quick questions.

1) I have an 18x18x24 Exo Terra. How many frogs can I keep in there? I'd like to add 2 black eyed tree frogs. Can they exist with red eyeds? And is 4 frogs ok for that size of an enclosure?

2) Tonight when I peeked in on the frogs, I noticed one has turned a darker green color (and I notice a brown spot on its head). The other has stayed the bright green that they were earlier in the day. Is this normal?

3) How can I possibly sex them> They're both around the same size right now.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Chaser

Smile Re: Red eyed tree frogs and Black eyeds, etc.

Well from what i have heard, you shouldn't house different species together. I have one red eye in a 12x 12x 18x Exo Terra, so 4 frogs might be a little crowded in your tank, But then again I am new to frogs too. I would just get a separate tank for your black eyed tree frogs, and if you get them post pictures! At night time red eyes turn dark to blend in, as for the brown spot i wouldn't know. Just let the frogs get used to there new environment, it will take a few days or even weeks, during this time your frogs might not eat but leave crickets in a small candy dish or what is available just encase they get hungry. As for sexing your frogs, males are the only gender that call. I am looking into getting some Tiger Legged Monkey Frogs! They look very cool. Good Luck! and if you ever have any questions just post it on my profile. (i am usually on every day or so.)

Oh, and welcome to Frog Forum!

bshmerlie

Default Re: Red eyed tree frogs and Black eyeds, etc.

I think you could keep four in that tank size. Red Eyes get along with each other so that wont be an issue. Please keep your frog species separate. They all produce a certain level of toxicity that only they can deal with. If you start mixing different species they may slowly poison each other. If you're looking for a little diversity..why don't you check out the albino red eyes.

Default Re: Red eyed tree frogs and Black eyeds, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Well that's too bad, was hoping to house a pair of red eyes and black eyes together. Maybe I'll just get 3 red eyes.

If I already have 2 red eyes living together, and I add a 3rd in lets say a month or so, will the other 2 accept it?

Thread Information