Thread: Article: Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Article: Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Now i have it down packed . lol tomorrow I'm going to work on his house. These guys were in cypress mulch

frigs

is this care sheet relevant to fowler's toads?

nicodimus22

Default Re: Article: Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Quote Originally Posted by frigs View Post
    is this care sheet relevant to fowler's toads?
    Yes, they are Bufo toads.

bufoguttatus

Are these temps suitable for most central/south american Bufo as well? I have a sub adult male B. guttatus at room temp right now (71-73 is my room's thermal range) and was wondering if supplemental heat is necessary for him or marine/cane toads.

P.S.
    First post on the forums!

mandelay

I have an American toad, about 2 months ago i noticed her rubbing her eyes as if somethging were in them... she burrows alot so i dont see hertoo often.... now she came out of burrowing and her one eye is puffy... it looks like the eye lid is puffed out and swollen and she can barley open her eye.... she keeps trying to rub her eye and now she is having a hard time eating because of her eye... the actual eye ball itself is clear and deosnt looklike any problems but the lid that covers it looks puffy and watery.... anyone know what this could be caused from?

arielgasca420

Default Re: Article: Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

thanks John!

kayliszumita

i have a wood toad.

LeeAnn

I absolutely love the toads in my backyard. They are the Gulf Coast Toad and I am contemplating keeping a couple as pets. My biggest concern is - do I have to feed them live crickets? I have a bug zapper and they congregate on the ground below and eat the "fried" bugs so could I feed them dead crickets?

rodofruin

Just got an north american toad girlfriend has been bothering me to get her an frog/toad of her own and figured it would be a good starter and not only are they easy to care for but really fun to watch mine is very active and loves night-crawlers definitely recommend to the beginner keeper.

mommafrog3

Quote Originally Posted by mandelay View Post
    I have an American toad, about 2 months ago i noticed her rubbing her eyes as if somethging were in them... she burrows alot so i dont see hertoo often.... now she came out of burrowing and her one eye is puffy... it looks like the eye lid is puffed out and swollen and she can barley open her eye.... she keeps trying to rub her eye and now she is having a hard time eating because of her eye... the actual eye ball itself is clear and deosnt looklike any problems but the lid that covers it looks puffy and watery.... anyone know what this could be caused from?

We found a toad in our backyard, that is having a issue with "his"1 eye. you know how the eyes kind of sit out on the head? our toads eye in sunk in. when he eats he leans up and turns his head toward the left (that's his good eye). At first it didn't look like there was a eyeball in there, but today while feeding him I noticed there is. not sure what damage was done.

keyloleether

I have an American Toad who has a prolapse which happened 2 days ago. I let him soak in a bowl of water with sugar & kept him on a paper towel, then attempted to use a q-tip to slowly push back in the cloaca. I think it was just too far gone by the time I tried to help him because there was alot to push back in and it just wasn't working. I didn't notice right away because its winter time & he stays under the dirt most of the time. I just don't want him to be in pain anymore so I wanted to know the easiest & most humane way to put him out of his misery. I heard you can leave them in the fridge overnight in a container and then put them in the freezer for a couple days but that just seems cruel so I don't know what to do, please help !

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keyloleether View Post
    I have an American Toad who has a prolapse which happened 2 days ago. I let him soak in a bowl of water with sugar & kept him on a paper towel, then attempted to use a q-tip to slowly push back in the cloaca. I think it was just too far gone by the time I tried to help him because there was alot to push back in and it just wasn't working. I didn't notice right away because its winter time & he stays under the dirt most of the time. I just don't want him to be in pain anymore so I wanted to know the easiest & most humane way to put him out of his misery. I heard you can leave them in the fridge overnight in a container and then put them in the freezer for a couple days but that just seems cruel so I don't know what to do, please help !
    Bring your toad to a vet that specializes in amphibians. The vet will be able to either treat the prolapse or humanely euthanize the toad. Never try to put it back by yourself. You aren't trained and probably did more harm than good. If there is no vet available anywhere, do some research on humane euthanasia for frogs and follow its instructions.
    No frogs currently!

toad11

I have a common toad i've had him for 4 days and he is about the size of a quarter he has some pealing skin near his joints what is happing is he hurt or is he shedding

lovedrugger

lovedrugger

Quote Originally Posted by toad11 View Post
    I have a common toad i've had him for 4 days and he is about the size of a quarter he has some pealing skin near his joints what is happing is he hurt or is he shedding
    Toad11 It's probably normal shedding. They grow some. I was told that they eat it most of the time :/

Thread Information