Thread: Article: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas

Kurt

Default Article: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Article: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas

Perhaps adding somewhere in the article that they are on CITES II (and B-listed in Europe)?
    Just at thought!

BigErnandRoy

Hi, I have 2 Red - Eyes and after reading this i realise the emclosure is much too small.. so am working on getting that changed. I am also curious to knwo the gender of my frogs and how likely they are to breed. Are the frogs always a dramatic size difference?thanks for this article it has helped alot!!

Planaria

Terrific article! Thanks!

Frogkeeper6

Wink Re: Article: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas

Quote Originally Posted by Planaria View Post
    Terrific article! Thanks!
    It is very great please check out the one on leopard frogs I wrote it also try taking up frogs as a hobby they are very nice pets you love them they love you back

Frogkeeper6

Please save frogs all over the world they are dying I'm also buying 2 red eyed tree frogs as pets very soon check them out on my youtube account Frogexpert6

J Teezy

you say to add LECA ontop of the eggcrate as the first layer. From what I understand if you build an eggcrate false bottom it really isn't necessary to put leca on top of it. LECA is more commonly used if you do not use an eggcrate FB yes? I mean it wouldnt hurt to use LECA on the eggcrate but I don't think is necessary. The reason to use LECA is so that your soil wouldn't be sitting in water if you didn't.

so for instance an eggcrate FB setup could look like this

Eggcrate covered with fiberglass window screen (or weed block) > soil (ABG mix, plantation soil, or w/e you use to plant your plants in > possible thin layer of sphagnum moss > leaf litter

Then if you didn't use the eggcrate you would do something like this

LECA (hydroton) > window screen > maybe a thin layer of pea gravel (i probably wouldnt use it) > soil > sphagnum > leaf litter

I could be wrong here just putting what i've picked up from my researching. Just seems from what I've seen in builds and read that people who use eggcrate don't use LECA as the eggcrate is providing a place for the water to go like LECA does to get it away from your soil so your soil doesn't get soaked

AReaHerps

This may seem like a dumb question but is it necessary for the frog to have a UVB light? I have read some conflicting care sheets that state you should have lights which mimic the sun. My common sense is they prefer to hide under leafs in the wild as to not dry out right? I could understand a plant light but UVB? For a nocturnal frog? Kind of confused?!?

katieb92

Are red eyes social or can they be housed alone? I am planning on purchasing and was wondering if I should get two instead

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Article: Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas

Hi Katie. Kurt isn't on much these days. He stops in from time to time, but I'll answer for you.

Red eyes are social and tend to prefer others. Too many males in one tank and there may be some leaf shaking, but generally if it's not too crowded, they should be fine.

Depending on the size of your tank, you can house one per 10 gallons of space.

If you purchase them together you can quarantine them together. If not, you should quarantine them separately to prevent any risk of disease or contamination.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information