Thread: New RETF?! Please help!!

Chaser

Exclamation New RETF?! Please help!!

Okay, On Wednesday i got my new adult red eyed tree frog from lllreptile.com. Problem is, i think he is wild caught and will not order live animals from them again, ( i have had two frogs dead on arrival. )
    If my frog is wild what can i feed him? i have heard of wild caughts not eating crickets. I have two crickets in a bowl in his cage, he hasn't eaten them at all. i have temp. and humidity just right, and have a day and night light cycle. He has a large leafy plant and a vine to climb at night. There is a water bowl available at all times but i haven't seen him in it. I am new to frogs and am very worried. Please help me, any advice at all would be very nice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: New RETF?! Please help!!

First, why don't you post a picture of his enclosure so that we can see what his environment looks like. Next, you've only had him for two days it can often take up to a month for them to get use to their new environment. There are some things you can do to help that process. Cover up at least three sides of the tank with black construction paper to act as a visual barrier. I personally cover all sides. Make sure he is in a room that has no traffic or activity which includes loud noises. Make sure it is completely dark at night. No moon lights or even lights from across the room. Completely dark. Make sure the crickets are no bigger than the width between his eyes. Depending on the size tank I would have crickets in a bowl near his water dish but also some running free. Your frog is brand new to his new home. Give him some time to settle in. Especially since he was shipped to you. I had a red eye named Waldo that I had for two years. I simply moved him into a new bigger tank. I cut off the leaf he was sleeping on and moved it to the new tank. I swear after that he didn't move for almost a month and there was no traumatic event like being shipped. But sure enough over time he woke up and started moving around again. So give your new guy some time to get comfortable. Just keep it quiet and dark for him at night with lots of plants for cover. On a side note....I live near LLL and I have never seen them carry wild caught red eyes before. I suppose there's always a first. I personally don't think its a good idea to ship frogs in the summer time...especially when we are having heat waves across the country. There's always a risk.

Chaser

My cage is not very big, its only 12x 12x 18x big...

Here is a pic of his cage...Name:  IMG_0273.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  94.3 KB sorry it's sideways i couldn't fix it.
    He does have a water bowl i was changing it when i took this picture.
    I will also cover the side of the cage with cardboard.

bshmerlie

The size of the tank is okay for the one tree frog. But you are definately going to need some more plants. Right now the one plant only looks to be about eight inches off the ground. All the space above it will not be used and the frog will feel exposed. They want to feel hidden. So if they have a lot of plants they will feel secure knowing that no one can see them as they are up walking around. When you first get them into a new tank its almost like they're afraid some predator is ready to pounce. Once they find out nobody's going to try and eat them they will move around freely. So you want to give them things that will speed up that process and lots more cover would do that. That's why we suggest covering up the sides and keeping it quiet for them. Once your frog settles in he wont hide at all and he wont be hesitant to move around. That's when you'll start seeing him eat. Help him to feel secure and you'll have a happy frog.

Chaser

Okay i added my only other plant, and an extra vine. I know my plants are not tall enough but it is all i have at the moment. I also added cardboard to the other sides of my tank. Name:  IMG_0277.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  100.9 KB

Thread Information