Thread: Leopard Gecko

Sprout

Default Leopard Gecko

Hi everyone, wondering if someone could help me?

I've been asked to adopt a Leopard Gecko who currently is an unwanted gift my friend bought for her boyfriend. I have a spare tank, heat mat and plenty of crickets for when I can pick him up but unfortunately can't collect him until Sunday. He is now apparently living in a shoebox on some woodchips with no heat mat. Do you think he'll be OK in that state? Is there anything I should tell her to do in the meantime apart from to keep him warm and with a water dish? He's a male, 5 inches long and hasn't been fed since yesterday.

I feel real sorry for the little guy, hope he's OK..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

AandKReptiles

My Leos have gone through periods of cooling due to a failed thermostat and they were okay until I got my new one a few days later. Just don't feed him during that time period because they need a belly heat temperature of 95° for digestion purpose. When you get him though make sure the warm side is a constant 93-95° to aid in digestion. I keep mine in 15qt hefty tubs one a rack with heat cable attached to a thermostat. Their temp is always 95-96° on the hot side and 85° the cold side. Crickets don't have much nutritional value for Leos. I would suggest gutloaded mealworms and superworms. If you can swing it dubia roaches are even better! The ocassional pinky mouse dipped in calcium is good too. Make sure there is calcium out on the cage at all times, And dust every meal. They are really notorious for MBD. Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

A&K Reptiles
    aandk.reptiles@gmail.com
    (607)-372-4195

4. This member thanks AandKReptiles for this post:

Sprout

Default Re: Leopard Gecko

Thanks so much for your help! I have some superworms and frozen pinkies here that my frogs sometimes have so hopefully will be able to feed him when he arrives, and calcium too.

Will update when I've collected him, hopefully he'll settle in well!

AandKReptiles

Just don't feed pinkies on a regular basis. I do one every couple weeks or when I'm running low on supers. I'm converting over to dubia roaches soon as they are so much more nutritious than other feeders.

A&K Reptiles
    aandk.reptiles@gmail.com
    (607)-372-4195

Sprout

Default Re: Leopard Gecko

Hello, Gecko arrived safe and sound! He's extremely inquisitive and docile, travelling didn't seem to stress him out at all. He had some mealworms when settled and has spent the night exploring his new home. So pleased he seems healthy and happy!

Thread Information