Thread: Strange infection!

premiumhawks

Question Strange infection!

Yesterday i posted that one of my african clawed frogs (ACF) had red blotches on his underbelly. i changed its water as well as separated it from the rest on the frog population. monitored it closely and things started to look up. today the infection had spread all over the frog and it was dead (as far as i could tell anyways... totally lifeless)

i think i found what may have caused this... and it's totally my fault. everyone agrees that any type of metal is harmful to ACF's... well when i bought the live plants for their tank the plants were bundled together by metal strips (also used to weigh them down). they have been in there for days hidden by the rocks i buried them in. i have since removed them and have done another 100% H2O change. Could this have been the reason for the infection? any feedback gratefully appreciated.

sorry so long... is it common for some albino clawed frogs to have black eyes and some red?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Strange infection!

the albino thing is natraul with the eyes i think u should get your water tested for disease though

premiumhawks

i would check the water but i have already changed it.

Kurt

Are Xenopus the only inhabitants of the aquarium? Now you have done a massive water change you most likely destroyed any bacterial tables the aquarium had. So watch your ammonia and nitrite levels, keeping the pH below 7.0 will help a lot with this, but not too low.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Those metal strips are inert - your frog would have to eat one to suffer any harm from it. It sounds like your frog died from a real disease, not a poisoning or anything like that. I would investigate possible causes of stress in the tank (excessively flowing water, significant and repeated temperature changes, etc).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information