Thread: Pacman suddenly stopped eating?

SkinkyDinker

Default Pacman suddenly stopped eating?

I've had this pacman frog (Flubber) since January 2010 and he has only grown a few cm's since then. He's now 5 1/2 (around) cm's, but I don't really know why he's so small for his age because he's very active, and usually eats large crickets every other day. He stopped eating almost 2 weeks ago and has been starting to look very thin. He still jumps around and is active but just acts as if the crickets aren't there. He doesn't eat worms like butter worms or wax worms, he just doesn't really notice them on the ground (and didn't before) and I don't know what to do. When I gently touch behind him, he jumps up and hisses (and tries to bite me!) and he croaks sometimes too, but he still isn't eating the crickets! Thanks...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demeteraurion

Default Re: Pacman suddenly stopped eating?

You might want to have his feces checked for parasites. That could be one reason he isn't growing a lot.

JeffX

Having him checked out would be a good idea. Also what are the temps and the humidity in the enclosure? Have you tried taking the worms with feeder tongs and enticing him a bit?

SkinkyDinker

Thanks for the replies. Would I see anything is his feces if he has them? Cause last time I checked (I remove them from his tank) it looked fully brown. We don't have any good vets around here. When the worms crawled infront of his face or touched him, he's jump away from them. Crickets is all he'd eat.

His temps are around 23 C and the mumidity is usually 50%, but rises when I mist him. Thanks!

demeteraurion

You might want to get a glass lid or put aluminum foil over it to raise the humidity. It should be higher than that. After I sealed off my lid my humidity never goes lower than 70. And 23c is too low for temperature, it would be okay for night time temps but during the day it should be at least 80 or 85 (farenheit). I find that the sealed lid will also work wonders on holding heat in. Lots of eating problems are related to the temperature, so he may turn around after it gets hotter. Also, I don't think you'll be able to see anything in his droppings but any regular vet will be able to check for parasites. Good luck!

JeffX

And I agree. The temps and humidity are way too low in that tank. I'd raise them to see how he does.

mommyof4froglovers

plstic wrap across the top of the tank woks well on humidity too. I use it on my 10 gallon for my kids hermit crabs and they have to have as much or more than you frog.

SkinkyDinker

Ok thanks. I mist him often, so the humidity rises, but about the temps, I was scared of over-heating him. I do have a heater (for humans) under his tank but I only use it when it's cold outside. I'll try to raise the temps and let you guys know! Thanks again.

SkinkyDinker

The temps are in mid 20's now, but he still isn't eating. I've tried holding the cricket in front of his face and ticking him with it, but he just closes his eyes. Any suggestions?

demeteraurion

I'd leave a few crickets in with him and something for the crickets to eat and let him be, mine will only eat when he feels secure and no one is around. Also you could try soaking him in a warm bath, my frog ate right after I bathed him once.

LizardMama

Have you tried anything other than crickets? Try and see if he'll eat a Meal Worm. My Pacman stopped eating crickets and when I dropped a Meal Worm and a Wax Worm in front of him he gobbled them up right quick. Might be that your Pacman is trying to tell you that he wants something other than crickets

Thread Information