Thread: Grey Tree Frog carrying eggs?

nevertoomany

Default Grey Tree Frog carrying eggs?

I have two grey tree frogs. I have had the first for about 9 months and it hasnt gotten any bigger than it was when I got it. (about 1.25" long) I recently got another one (2.5 months ago) and it was the same size as the other one. However, the new one has grown a lot! (probably 2.25" long now) Is it a female? And if so, could she currenly be pregnant? (pics below) She is constantly looking like she is inflated. But when she sits on the glass parallel to the ground her whole stomach droops to the lower side, leading me to believe she is carrying eggs?...

If she is pregnant, what would be the perfect set-up for her own tank so that she will lay the eggs and everything will be ok?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Justin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog carrying eggs?

It sounds like a female but the stomach looks distended and unhealthy. I am going to guess she has some kind of gut blockage.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

nevertoomany

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    It sounds like a female but the stomach looks distended and unhealthy. I am going to guess she has some kind of gut blockage.
    Uh oh, really?! Is there anything I can do? Those pictures make it look like she has an object in it, she was mid walk up the glass in them. When she was just sitting there sideways her stomach shifted to the lower side.

Not to say at all that you are wrong, but I hadnt thought of her having a blockage because she has been jumping around like normal and eating as usual as far as I can see. I am going to seperate her from the rest and keep a closer eye on her, hopefully it will end up not being anything serious.

Thanks again John!

Both mine (one male and one female) look the way you describe when hanging on the glass parallel to the ground (the upper side looks sucked in, the lower side looks bloated). I've always chaulked this up to gravity and a squishy body. Pictures of her in other positions might help tell if she's messed up, the upper side does look odd there but it could just be how she was hanging on the glass mid stride.

I do wonder the following and hopefully more knowledgeable members can answer and hopefully help you:

How to tell if a frog is gravid (carrying eggs)?

Is it even possible for her to be gravid? I understand they need to be cycled (i.e. go through a cold winter brumation period), and she couldn't have been a fully grown adult when this happened (if it even did happen) given her size when you got her.

Are there even any health risks for a gravid frog not mating in captivity? (I thought no, but another opinion would be good)

Hopefully someone can answer. Best of luck

nevertoomany

I will try to get some better pictures of her Brian.

I would like to see the answers to the questions you have as well...

Thread Information