Thread: Greatest cricket feeding trick ever!

Rae

Talking Greatest cricket feeding trick ever!

Okay so I read in a post on here not to long ago about puting crickets in a glass bowl to feed frogs that they apparently cant get out. If anyone knows of this post please post link Thank-you!

Well I had forgotten about it till I was at Zehrs and saw a glass spice container for 4 dollars. maybe 3 inches indiameter and 2.5 to 3 inches high, opening slightly smaller than base.

Tonight I put it in the Terrarium and Frodo curiously stared at it. I grabbed a cricket and tossed it in and it just ran around in circled never jumped at all... I added a second... same thing. Moments later Frodo jumped onto the edge then into the bowl and ate the crickets. NO MESS, NO SUBTRATE IN HIS MOUTH, NO DIVING INTO WALLS AND WATER BOWLS NO GETTING COVERED IN SUBTRATE! It was great!

THANK-YOU ONCE AGAIN FROG FORUM

ITS A MUST TRY AND USE OPTION FOR CLEANER EASIER FEEDINGS!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Frog Mom

Default Re: Greatest cricket feeding trick ever!

I just saw that post the other day and went out and bought myself a glass dish to try. A few crickets that were already wandering around in my viv landed in there, but so far, no frog has gotten brave enough to go in after them. I am glad that it helps keep the crickets from hiding out in the moss, though.

scstewart20

Talking Re: Greatest cricket feeding trick ever!

Yes, this is truly the best way to deal with feedings. My Vada and Thomas J love peering over the edge of the dish I have my crickets in then jumping in for a surprise attack!

heyjude2200

Do you have a pic of the spice container you used, or can you tell us where you found it?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Another way to avoid a mouthful of substrate... I have leaf litter, moss, and ground cover type plants in my viv. They have always hated the substrate! Now they don't even have to touch it
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Okay so I read in a post on here not to long ago about puting crickets in a glass bowl to feed frogs that they apparently cant get out. If anyone knows of this post please post link Thank-you!

Well I had forgotten about it till I was at Zehrs and saw a glass spice container for 4 dollars. maybe 3 inches indiameter and 2.5 to 3 inches high, opening slightly smaller than base.

Tonight I put it in the Terrarium and Frodo curiously stared at it. I grabbed a cricket and tossed it in and it just ran around in circled never jumped at all... I added a second... same thing. Moments later Frodo jumped onto the edge then into the bowl and ate the crickets. NO MESS, NO SUBTRATE IN HIS MOUTH, NO DIVING INTO WALLS AND WATER BOWLS NO GETTING COVERED IN SUBTRATE! It was great!

THANK-YOU ONCE AGAIN FROG FORUM

ITS A MUST TRY AND USE OPTION FOR CLEANER EASIER FEEDINGS!
    Do you sit the glass container on top of the substrate, or do you have to bury it (with the top level with the stop of the substrate)?

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Do you sit the glass container on top of the substrate, or do you have to bury it (with the top level with the stop of the substrate)?
    I'm guessing that he buries it level with the substrate, otherwise the frog would have a harder time trying to figure it out. I got to try this method, although my pixie got a lot better at grabbing crickets running around in his terrarium.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    I'm guessing that he buries it level with the substrate, otherwise the frog would have a harder time trying to figure it out. I got to try this method, although my pixie got a lot better at grabbing crickets running around in his terrarium.
    Thank you. The breeder who sold me my monkey frog told me about this method, primarily as a way to avoid wasting crickets. I have tried it once but I guess my container was too shallow because the pinheads all crawled out within a few minutes! I will try again with a deeper container.

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Thank you. The breeder who sold me my monkey frog told me about this method, primarily as a way to avoid wasting crickets. I have tried it once but I guess my container was too shallow because the pinheads all crawled out within a few minutes! I will try again with a deeper container.
    Oh ok cool, let me know how it works out.

BG

Oh absolutely i use large soup bowls when feed du bias cause the little buggers love to dig in the subs so i put them in the bowl with powder and in the tank it goes

Nabced

Do you have a pic?

mafoo

well heres your link! some pics of it on the thread but im glad im being usefull on my first day on here and actualy contributing!

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html

JennTigercat

hmm I have used the glass bowl when it comes to feeding my geckos Crickets but never tried to do it without pulling off the jumping legs on the crickets. Will have to try this and hopefully my two will be ok with it. Do plastic bowls work as well as glass just thinking about using the little dish that they traveled to my place in.

MonsterPyxie

Quote Originally Posted by JennTigercat View Post
    hmm I have used the glass bowl when it comes to feeding my geckos Crickets but never tried to do it without pulling off the jumping legs on the crickets. Will have to try this and hopefully my two will be ok with it. Do plastic bowls work as well as glass just thinking about using the little dish that they traveled to my place in.
    glass is smoother, so plastic should work, but the glass stops them from getting traction to jump.

Like stated, burying the bowl would be best. Don't want all these frog's bangin' there head into the glass bowl trying to get at the bugs

also be sure your frog themselves don't get stuck somehow

JennTigercat

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterPyxie View Post
    glass is smoother, so plastic should work, but the glass stops them from getting traction to jump.
    That makes sense thanks

My red eyeds will actually sit on the lip of the feeding bowl around feeding time. They're not dumb.

Thread Information