Thread: Getting new whites soon

mommyof4froglovers

Default Getting new whites soon

On the 1st of August, because we are getting rid of our dog do to her jumping, we are getting my 5 year old another Whites tree frog. I want to make sure I have quarintine procedures down before we get him or her.

We are going to use our old 15 gallon for quarintine.

How long do we keep the new frog in quarintine?

Can we keep the cages in the same room? (I read somewhere we shouldnt)

When we do interduce them what is the best way?

At our local pet store, not the chain stores, they have 3 whites that are very close in size to Frogger. That is where we will probably buy from. Are there anythings I should look for when buying the new one? They have a pretty bare set up with only one small plant and thier cage is too small, but they do feed them every few days with small to medium crickets and do water changes daily. I have been looking in on them and talking to the workers a couple times a week since we knew we were going to do this. The ones at the big chain stores and online only seem to have really small Whites. I would love to get a blue phase online but they all say baby, so I assume they are way smaller than our 2.5 inch Frogger.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting new whites soon

Congrats on your decision to adopt a new White's! But I am sorry about your dog.

A 15 gallon should be ok for quarantine as long as the frog isn't too large for the space. Usually the period is 30 to 90 days, but as long as you don't see any problems within the first 45 days I think you should be ok.

As far as I know it's ideal to keep the tanks in different rooms as some diseases can be airborne, but I have quarantined all my frogs in the same room with no problems as of yet.

As long as you're sure your frog is healthy and happy, it is ok to introduce them together. As for HOW to introduce them I'm not quite sure, as I haven't done it yet!

With buying the new frogs, just make sure they have no obvious signs of illness. Lethargy, cloudy eyes or physical wounds or issues. Anything you see that may pop up as a problem could potentially grow later on, but as long as you don't see anything on the outside that's blatantly wrong, I think it's safe to purchse the frog.

Some experts can probably tell you a bit more, but I hope what little information I had has helped you!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

mommyof4froglovers

Thanks for your help. I can put them in separate rooms if needed. I just dont want to buy one without advice this time. I really envy your Whites of different colors. But the only ones at the petstore are regular which will be fine. The 3 they have are about 2.5 inches so the 15 gallon is a little small, but should be fine for a month since our current frog was fine in there for longer and it will be moving in to a much better home at the end of quarintine.

We will miss our dog, but she will be happier, because of her jumping on my babies she has not had lots of interaction lately so she will be happier with another family.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof4froglovers View Post
    Thanks for your help. I can put them in separate rooms if needed. I just dont want to buy one without advice this time. I really envy your Whites of different colors. But the only ones at the petstore are regular which will be fine. The 3 they have are about 2.5 inches so the 15 gallon is a little small, but should be fine for a month since our current frog was fine in there for longer and it will be moving in to a much better home at the end of quarintine.

We will miss our dog, but she will be happier, because of her jumping on my babies she has not had lots of interaction lately so she will be happier with another family.
    Well you can always shop around. There are lots of places to get frogs online, someone may have the size you want in a new color, you never know! O:

In fact, I picked up my blue phase a local petstore (which I was a little worried about), but he came out as healthy as can be. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

But if you're willing to compromise color a healthy frog is always best.

And I've learned something with all my time with my frogs and on this forum. There are never two of the same colored frogs. XD

I think your plan with the 15 gallon should work just fine, as long as it's not for too long.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

mommyof4froglovers

The only ones around here I have found are just regular whites. Which I am ok with, because with a 64 gallon tank I can get atleast two more later and have time to wait. But right now we are going to get one that can go in with Frogger as soon as possible. When we get moved I will find the ones I would like and wait till they get big enough to put with the other two. For now a healthy frog is our objective.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The only ones around here I have found are just regular whites. Which I am ok with, because with a 64 gallon tank I can get atleast two more later and have time to wait. But right now we are going to get one that can go in with Frogger as soon as possible. When we get moved I will find the ones I would like and wait till they get big enough to put with the other two. For now a healthy frog is our objective.
    Good choice, I'm glad you made the decision to go with healthier frogs.

With a 64 gallon tank you will have plenty more opportunities to get prettier frogs. I've had my baby blue phase in his ten gallon tank since February, soon to upgrade, but he seems to be doing fine. He's almost 2 1/2 inches now too.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

mommyof4froglovers

That is awesome. When we move there will be little to know need for the 15 gallon unless we get baby frogs or someone gets sick so I think that is what we will do. I will get two blue phase frogs. I wanted to ask you what your yellow/white(?) whites is and how did you find him?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That is awesome. When we move there will be little to know need for the 15 gallon unless we get baby frogs or someone gets sick so I think that is what we will do. I will get two blue phase frogs. I wanted to ask you what your yellow/white(?) whites is and how did you find him?
    Do you mean the big guy in my avatar or the one in this picture?

If you mean the one in my avatar then I actually got him at Petsmart back in December.

The one in the picture (who is now sadly deceased ) is a blue eyed White's I got from a breeder in San Diego. If you'd like I can PM you his web site, I believe he still has some available.

The other blue eyed White's I got from the same guy is doing fine by the way, I think this one passed away from an illness relating to stress and a bad shed.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

mommyof4froglovers

Can you PM me? I had forgot he was the one who passed till I went back to look at his picture. I am so sorry, but he was so pretty I liked him the first time I saw him.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Can you PM me? I had forgot he was the one who passed till I went back to look at his picture. I am so sorry, but he was so pretty I liked him the first time I saw him.
    Sure! Thanks...he was a beautiful frog. Too bad I lost him, but you win some, you loose some, as they say. Oh well.

I'll send that PM now.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

mommyof4froglovers

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Thread Information