Thread: URGET!!! is it normal...?

Chaser

Default URGENT!!!! Is it normal...?

I got my new baby red eyed tree frog in the mail Tuesday, today all he has been doing is laying in his water bowl. He hasn't eaten yet and he hasn't been sleeping a lot today. I have been having many problems with him witch is probably because he is not in the tank I planed on keeping him in, the aquarium he is in now has a paper towel bedding, a ivy vine, many leaves and his water bowl. It's 77 degrees in his cage humidity is 68. I am new to frogs and am despret for help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: URGENT!!!! Is it normal...?

You need to give the frog something to climb up on and hide. Branches, thick vines and so on.
    You should also cover three sides of the tank and keep the tank in a dark quiet place for a while. Turn a light on in the day but give it full darkness at night to settle in.

Make sure the crickets you feed are no bigger than the width of the frogs head.

If you feed in a cricket bowl you'll know if it is eating too.

Hope this helps
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Chaser

Default Re: URGET!!! is it normal...?

I forgot to say I have cardboard on 3 sides of my tank. I have a heat lamp on now and I will shut it of every 10 minutes because I dont wanna roast the poor fella' I keep it off at night and I have 1/8 size crickets coming in the mail tomorrow.

bshmerlie

How big is the tank?

Chaser

It does not matter anymore I have decided that I am not suited for caring for frogs. Mine has died I won't be able forgive myself for taking that poor frogs life. I wish he would of lived I was in love with this frog bUt now he is dead I did not plan and forgot that the supplies I order would come later. it all my fault. Good bye www.frogforums.net

rcteem

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    It does not matter anymore I have decided that I am not suited for caring for frogs. Mine has died I won't be able forgive myself for taking that poor frogs life. I wish he would of lived I was in love with this frog bUt now he is dead I did not plan and forgot that the supplies I order would come later. it all my fault. Good bye www.frogforums.net
    We all make mistakes...I killed my first dart frogs but I learned from my mistakes and researched a lot more and got my viv built the way it needed to be before I got the animal...don't let this stop you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. This member thanks rcteem for this post:

Chaser

I just feel so bad. What do I do with him? Should I even bother to get a another one? Would an adult be a Better choice?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry for your loss. I really doubt you killed the frog in just a few days.
    Stress from travel, possible internal health issues unseen, can all play a roll in this.

I myself would think about another but make a home first. Take your time making it just right.
    Then select a nice healthy looking frog from a breeder.

I would also do a pair since they seem to be more apt to adjust when another frog is there to provide competition for food and interaction.

Again, so sorry :-(

Don

11. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

rcteem

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Sorry for your loss. I really doubt you killed the frog in just a few days.
    Stress from travel, possible internal health issues unseen, can all play a roll in this.

I myself would think about another but make a home first. Take your time making it just right.
    Then select a nice healthy looking frog from a breeder.

I would also do a pair since they seem to be more apt to adjust when another frog is there to provide competition for food and interaction.

Again, so sorry :-(

Don

I would def do an adult next time as they are more forgiving and less fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaser

Okay I am going to buy an adult AFTER I have all of my supplies in. Thanks for supporting me, It ripped my heart out when he died. I can't let this happen ever again and I will try my hardest to keep that promise.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice Chase.
    Look over some of the members photo albums and set something that is very natural. These frogs love to stay off the ground and will carefully move from plant to vine to branch and so on.

If you need any help building something and have questions, please ask.
    And don't beat yourself up over this.

Don

Treefrognewbie

Chase, i just got some new baby red eyes too. but i got mine at an expo, not in the mail. i don't know if anybody said this, because i only skimmed through, but he was probably very stressed because of the shipment. Sorry if somebody already said that. But don't give up!!! Get that tank ready, get those crickets, and get another frog!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
    Perhaps you typed "Good bye Frogforum" when you decided to let frogs be entirely. But if you typed it just because the frog died, and you are waiting a while before getting your next frog, you should perhaps rethink. Lurk around here, learn how to set everything up, how to feed, how to recognize diseases etc. Just because you don't currently have a frog, doesn't mean you shouldn't be here, learning

I'm sure you have read about the frogs already, but there is always more to learn about everything, no matter how much you already know.

17. This member thanks ViperJr for this post:

bshmerlie

We all learn from our mistakes and that's what life is all about. Frogs are more delicate than many other pets but once you understand and can meet their care requirements they are rather easy. Its just getting over the hump. Like everyone said plan and prepare and you wont have those problems. But don't give up.

19. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'll provide you a link to my Red Eye's home and maybe you can get some ideas for doing your next frogs home.
    Pretty basic with some hydroball drainage, a screen then coco-fiber and plantation soil on top of that.
    The a few plants (mine love the snake plants and sleep there all day) put right into the soil and then some pieces of cork rounds cut up to put some other plants in. It has a two lamp top with two compact florescent light bulbs from Home Depot that are 5500K color temp.
    It grows like crazy, is pretty self sustaining except water changes, and a routine spot cleaning of visable droppings.

Once planted, (rinse all plants well) very soon after you can add the frogs.
    Heres the link to some pics: http://www.frogforum.net/members/don...ye-s-home.html

21. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Chaser

Funny thing, I just revived 1/8 sized crickets today... With no frog to feed... If I keep them will they grow quickly?

bshmerlie

Sorry you got them too late. But don't see it as a complete waste. Part of the learning process is taking care of the feeders. How to feed them, hydrate them And keep them clean is what you also need to know before you get frogs. That way you're not asking, "why are my crickets dying" when you have frogs to feed.

Thread Information