Thread: Question about my dumpy.

TwiAly

Default Question about my dumpy.

Ok hopefully this comes out making sense cause I'm doing it on my iPhone while out and about. Anyway my dumpy tree frog Kiwi seems bored or depressed, he's been kind of moppy and will sit there are stare at himself in his water dish. Other then this he's fine, he eats fine, moves around fine, still jumps onto my hand when I open his door to do anything. So my question is are dumpy tree frogs supposed to be community frogs, should I get him a buddy? Or any tips you might have to get him out of his funk.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jon K

Default Re: Question about my dumpy.

well im no expert but to me he sounds lonely
    i think he would be happier if you got him a buudy

Rae

Before you consider getting him a friend make sure you have a big enough space for a 2nd Dumpy. How big is your terrarium? it should be atleast 20gallons for 2. Also incase you are not aware do not mix species =)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Have there been any significant weather changes in your area recently? Sometimes weather can effect a frogs mood or activity level.

From what I know it seems lots of people keep more than one dumpy, I'm sure you could introduce a friend and see if that perks him up a little bit. If he's still active and eating and there are no physical signs of distress, your frog is fine. Just monitor his eating habits and activity level closely and see if there are any significant changes.

My White's will go through very active periods and then times when they slow way down and don't move around much for a few nights. I think this is normal.

But Rae is definitely right, make sure your enclosure is big enough (20 gallons for 2 White's being the absolute minimum. It'd be best to go with a 30 gallon or higher since these frogs get so huge in adulthood) and that you do not mix species.

Good luck! I hope your little guy perks up soon!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Kurt

I think your frog is fine. Some people have a tendency to project human qualities and emotions on their animals, thinking they have think and feel the same way we do. Most species don't. I assure you, your frog is not depressed and adding another frog will not change his mood or behavior.

TwiAly

Thanks everyone. Kiwi seems to be back to his usual self now, I think maybe the rainy weather we've been getting. I kind of figured as much but then I got to worrying that maybe I should have gotten 2 from the start and was worried that I had done something wrong. His enclosure for just him and he's still young is 20 gal so I'm ok there. Thanks again.

Thread Information