Thread: What's the most accurate temp and hygrometer?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default What's the most accurate temp and hygrometer?

What is the best tempreture and hygrometer gauges? Are digital gauges better than needle gauges?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lacibeth

Default Re: What's the most accurate temp and hygrometer?

I have a Zilla digital thermo/hygrometer w/ probes () that I like. Part of the like may be due to the fact that I got it cheap.

One of the analog (needle) dual thermo/hygrometers at work I'm about to take a hammer to as the needles never move. But we also have a ZooMed dual (side-by-side) analog that works beautifully.

My horticulturist buddy tells me that Lowe's/Home Depot carry something that's essentially the dual digital with probes in their seasonal garden stuff, but I haven't checked.

4. This member thanks Lacibeth for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Ill have to look into that. I have two different analog gauges. I have a Zilla dual analog temp/hygrometer and Flukers individual temp/hygrometer. They both read differently. I think the Zilla combo gauge is more accurate than the Flukers but its hard to be certain.

demeteraurion

I have the Petco brand temp and humidity gauges and I think they work well. I've used them before with my hermit crabs with good results. I have used the Fluker's Digital Thermometer and its good but it broke after about a year, which I think if I'm paying extra for digital it should last :P I'd like to get the probe kind mentioned because it would be easier to get a reading in a certain area.

bshmerlie

As you are using a quality gauge observe the dampness of the soil, the water droplets on the leaves and eventually the condensation on the glass. These are the indicators that I look for. Eventually you wont need a gauge.

Nationality
    [United States]

I went out and baught the Flukers dual digital gauge. It reads completely different from my analog gauges I have. Hopefully its actually right as it reads around 77 at night instead of either straight 70 or alil lower. During the day it reads anywhere from 80 to 83.5 temp wise anyway. The hygrometer has been reading perfect 70 to even higherand it goes up and down but almost never below 70. Even after I was at work all day.

Lacibeth

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I went out and baught the Flukers dual digital gauge. It reads completely different from my analog gauges I have. Hopefully its actually right as it reads around 77 at night instead of either straight 70 or alil lower. During the day it reads anywhere from 80 to 83.5 temp wise anyway. The hygrometer has been reading perfect 70 to even higherand it goes up and down but almost never below 70. Even after I was at work all day.
    You can calibrate the hygrometer w/ something like this:
    Amazon.com: One Step Ez Hygrometer Calibration Kit: Everything Else

I checked the one that's begging for some Hammer Time at work, and it's a Zilla dual analog.

Nationality
    [United States]

If its black and round with the temp on the bottom and the hygrometer on top then its the same one I have.

Lacibeth

If its black and round with the temp on the bottom and the hygrometer on top then its the same one I have.
    Black back--huge Zilla logo in color, larger hygrometer on the top and smaller thermometer on the bottom. Temp is always at 80, humidity is always at 60. Never changes. I have a decent idea of what the humidity based on the condensation, and I'm guessing on the temp based on the toads setup next door. The only reason it's still in there is b/c the one of my chorus frogs likes to sit on it. Once the new digital one is in, that one's getting a beating.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yep that's it. It barely goes above 80 if it does and the humidity goes down pretty fast even aftef I use my reptile fogger and have sprayed. It worked well when I first got Grif in early March, but since the Flukers analog gauges don't read the same as it anf neither read like the Flukers digital gauge do id say that the digital gauge is probably the closest to being right. Its pretty annoying that 3 different gauges all read different climates. Shouldn't they all be calibrated to read the same? I mean SERIOUSLY!

Lacibeth

Yep that's it. It barely goes above 80 if it does and the humidity goes down pretty fast even aftef I use my reptile fogger and have sprayed. It worked well when I first got Grif in early March, but since the Flukers analog gauges don't read the same as it anf neither read like the Flukers digital gauge do id say that the digital gauge is probably the closest to being right. Its pretty annoying that 3 different gauges all read different climates. Shouldn't they all be calibrated to read the same? I mean SERIOUSLY!
    Ahh, but if they all read the same then you would only have bought 1 instead of 3.

Nationality
    [United States]

True and there are so many different models and designs and brands and blah buh blah buh blah. With out knowing which is best it makes me unhappy with any I have because I really have no way to be sure. I ordered a calibration kit off of Amazon.com. hopefully that will help me be alil more satisfied until I buy the Zoo Med's HygroTherm control so I can let it control the environment for me.

Thread Information