Thread: A few Toadlet pics

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default A few Toadlet pics

The toads were awake and bouncing around so I thought I'd get some pics of them in the critter keeper while they were up and about.

All 4 of them...

Can see the one off to the far right has a tiny bit of tail left.

2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Baelari

Default Re: A few Toadlet pics

They're so cute!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you! I originally was not keeping ANY toads! Then I got suckered and let them keep one...yes now we have four. When the kids came running in the house screaming "Mommy!! We found Bob Marley!" (We had toad tadpoles that they named and we released in the pond behind our house) How could I resist another one...

Pete

Very nice, so which one is Bob Marley?

scstewart20

Awwwwwwww

nicodimus22

Nice pics, Amy. So cute!

Those are *exactly* like mine. Same size, same color, same markings. Mine look a
    little lighter overall in the pictures, but that's because of the camera flash. Please read this
    if you have a minute (and see the photo comparisons) and see if you agree with my
    conclusion or not:

Digital Clarity: We have a winner!

If I am incorrect, I would like to know. But in either case, it definitely looks like we have the
    same species, and based on the range map I looked at, it's entirely possible with me in
    Pennsylvania and you in Wisconsin. Let me know what you think.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have no idea Pete LOL They all look the same to me still! My kids could probably tell you though.

nicodimus, fowler's and eastern american toads look very similar. Based on their range though and the species of toads found abundantly throughout my yard, it is definitely Eastern American Toads. There are very few distinguishing characteristics between them, and being this tiny, it makes it extra difficult to id!

lnaminneci

Amy,

They are sooo darling that tiny! So which one is Clar- reeeeece.

~Lesley

Lacibeth

One of the handy identifying tools for toads is the shape of the cranial crests which will become more distinctive with age.

11. This member thanks Lacibeth for this post:

nicodimus22

Gah. I thought the multiple warts in the dark patches of skin and the daytime activity were
    enough to nail down the ID between the two species. Guess I'll have to wait until they grow
    some more to know for sure what they are, because right now they are so little that I can't
    get a close enough look at their head/neck to see any of that stuff. I am still sticking with
    my original guess for the moment, as it fits everything I have seen so far the best.

Lacibeth

Quote Originally Posted by nicodimus22 View Post
    Gah. I thought the multiple warts in the dark patches of skin and the daytime activity were
    enough to nail down the ID between the two species. Guess I'll have to wait until they grow
    some more to know for sure what they are, because right now they are so little that I can't
    get a close enough look at their head/neck to see any of that stuff. I am still sticking with
    my original guess for the moment, as it fits everything I have seen so far the best.

It all adds up for a positive ID. If it's any consolation I had a handful of freshly morphed toadlets the other day that were about the size of my thumbnail and the kids wanted an iron-clad definitive identification. Eek!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you Lesley, they are too cute! Which is why I got suckered in (despite releasing the tadpoles in the first place because I DIDN'T want toads) Their personalities amaze me though, and I'm really happy we have them.

Nicodimus, the Eastern American toad can have multiple warts, but generally no more than two in the patches, so if you have 3+ in those patches, you likely have Fowler's, but like you said, growth and time will only help to secure a good id. I'm pretty sure myself though because of the thousand of Eastern American adult toads living in my yard.

nicodimus22

After letting my toads grow for a while and making some observations recently, I now think I have American toadlets.

-Parotid glands seem moderately far away from the eyes. I can't see a cranial crest yet, but even if it was there, it looks like
    there would still be space between the gland and the crest. You can see in this pic that there is a lot of space there:

-Speckled belly points to American. Fowler's have either a completely white belly, or 1 dark spot in the center:

-It looks like most dark patches of skin only have 1 or 2 warts in them. The first toadlet has some larger markings on its
    back that are still a little questionable, but other than that it seems conclusive. Also, American toads have some
    prominent warts on the back legs, but on a Fowler's toad, the leg warts are all uniform size:

I probably should have waited for them to grow a little bit at first before proclaiming them to be Fowler's,
    but at the time I saw things that made me think I had a match, and they do look incredibly similar when they're so small.

Thread Information