Thread: How Much to Feed my little toad.

globug

Default How Much to Feed my little toad.

Mongo is very happy to hide away in his leaves and grasses I got him so the environment is good I think. He comes out in the evening and mornings to scout around. He loves his meal worms but I realize if I put 100 in there he's eat them all. How to judge how much to feed him? He is the size of a ......hard to say how big he is. About 2 inches long maybe about the size of a 1/4 of a small banana. Ha ha ha.

I give him 4 or 5 when I see him hopping around and eats them all up. I realize too that meal worms are very high in protein and wonder if I should feed less. I know crickets are the best food but here in China it's hard for me to find a place near by to get crickets. i can buy and keep meal worms easier.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How Much to Feed my little toad.

Can you do roaches maybe? The problem with mealworms is that they are high in fat, low in nutritional value, and can cause impaction. As for the amount, I'm not sure because I've never fed them. Good luck!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Jace

Hmmm, China. Interesting. I am not sure what type of food sources would be available. Roaches are an option, or grasshoppers, earthworms....these items have a great protein/low fat ratio and would definitely be better than mealworms. When I give mealworms to any of my pets (whether it be frogs or reptiles) I give a max of 3-4 and only every other day if that. I always make sure they poop after getting mealworms before I give them any more the next time. Best of luck!

globug

Okay....I have heard of the impaction thing with feeding meal worms. Darn. All these other things are difficult to come across. There are two pet market fairly near my home but neither have anything but meal worms. There is a pet market across town that I know in the past I have seen crickets. Darn darn darn.

I have a break now from teaching and might ride my motorcycle near that market to watch one of my teachers classes. Hmmm, I wonder if I should just try to make it over there too. Not an easy trip on limited time. Gone are the days when you can get things easily.

I'm glad I have a market near me but they are still behind-the-times when it comes to proper care for almost any pet.

I'll see how my timing goes and if I can pick some crickets up. Now I need to learn about how to care for crickets long term as next week I'm going to Shang Hai for a week and I know my boyfriend won't be going across town to buy crickets. Any cricket care instructions? Ha ha ha.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wonder if you could order them anywhere in China and have them shipped to you? Then you could even start your own breeding lol Good luck!! It must be frustrating not having that all on hand!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

globug

The road was all torn up from construction between that school and that market so I didn't have time to find a way to get all around. Too bad. About starting a business it wouldn't be worth it. I'm sure I could get dozens of crickets for 1 or 2 yuan. Ha ha ha. Not worth the food to feed them. even to get a scoop of meal worms which is about 2 to 3 table spoons is only 1 yuan. Things are cheap and awesome here but a business is based on selling TONS of stuff and making very little profit off all of it.

I guess if I get my own crickets one day I should be able to breed them and continue the line????? Is it easy or do they die off and cannibalize each other?

Thread Information