Thread: New Member and I need help!

TearsOfRain07

Default New Member and I need help!

First off, hello everyone, I'm glad to be a member!
    Second. I have a what I believe is a White's Tree Frog. And a couple of days ago, my room mate was in the living room where I keep (I also believe she is a female because she doesn't sing) her cage. He said she was hopping around pretty crazy and I think she was hunting fruit flies that were inside her cage. Well the next day or so we noticed that she had a rather large bump on her lip/chin. I had been meaning to clean out her cage, get her new crickets and everything, then I became really ill. Well today I did all of that, and picked her up and she seems fine, but when I VERY gently touched her bump, she didn't flinch or anything, but it was rather hard. I haven't really been able to keep on eye on her eating. Because I said before, I became very ill was not able to go get her any more crickets until today. I have taken a few pictures that I would like to post, and I would be super grateful for any advice at all She's about 3-4 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Member and I need help!

It could just be a bruise from jumping after the small fruit flies and banging into the surface. Were you able to get a look inside the mouth and see if there is a corresponding wound where the bump is located? If so that might indicated another issue. Keep a close eye on the situation.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

TearsOfRain07

No, I have not been able to get a look inside her mouth. But my room mate said when he first looked at her after he heard her thumping around, there was a small red bump on the same side just above that large bump, but it went away after a day or so. Could she have gotten bitten by a fruit fly? And are those okay to have the cage? I added a few more plants in her cage then I maybe should have, and so now it's a little hard to find her. But ever since I put her back, it seems like she's been on the hunt for the new crickets I put in there. Which I think is a good sign?
    Thanks yet again for all of the help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Firstly, that is NOT a white's tree frog. I have little experience in ID'ing frogs, but it looks like a big-eyed tree frog, or Leptopelis vermiculatus, I could be wrong on that, if I am, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Secondly, there are 2 bumps that look similar in that picture, which would lead me to believe it's some kind of cysts or infection. I would take her to the vet as soon as you can to get a good diagnosis and treatment plan.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

5. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That bump does not look like it coordinates with an injury in my opinion, especially since there are 2 there. It's good that she is still eating, but I'd take her to the vet before things get worse and you're dealing with a dead tree frog rather than a possibly ill one.

scstewart20

I agree with Amy. Looks like a big eyed tree frog. Not that I'm an expert or anything. Just been looking at a lot of frog pics lately. I. Would also have a vet look at it. Keep us updated and I hope everything works out with the little froggy . S/He's a cutie!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    That bump does not look like it coordinates with an injury in my opinion, especially since there are 2 there. It's good that she is still eating, but I'd take her to the vet before things get worse and you're dealing with a dead tree frog rather than a possibly ill one.
    I did not see the smaller one until you said something as my eyes were only drawn to the one under the chin. Yep that looks like a cyst to me.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

mommyof4froglovers

As an owner of a Whites I know that that isnt a whites tree frog. I would go with what others tell you as I cant tell you what kind. I hope the vet can tell you what is wrong. She is pretty..

Froog

Yep, this is a Leptopelis Vermiculatus and it look exactly like your frog.

TearsOfRain07

Thank you guys for all of your help so well. And I just said a Whites since it was the closest I could find on this website. But yes, I'm not sure she is a Big Eye. I'm also about 85% sure that vets around here don't treat frogs. Any home treatments you guys can suggest?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You need to start calling vets in your area and figure out if there is someone that treats amphibians. When I started calling, I was shocked to find that the 2nd vet I called in my immediate area specialized in herps. You should really know your species of pet instead of just guessing, they each have their own varied needs, and chances are your frog is sick because you didn't provide it with the specific needs of a Big eyed tree frog. This is what I found about cysts in the skin of a frog...I can't say that's what it is, but this is what I've found.

Batrachochytrium Dendrobatidis

• Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis is the chytrid fungus currently wiping out frog populations worldwide. Infection begins with cysts underneath the skin and leads to a disease called chytridiomycosis that breaks the skin down, causing injury and secondary infections. It affects tadpoles and adults and is highly contagious among amphibians.

Kurt

I would like to point out that the problem with the jaw can be a case of hypocalcemia or metabollic bone disease, which is common in captive amphibians. The cyst or blister I cannot explain so easily.
    In the case of hypocalcemia, treatment is to increase calcium and vitamin D intake. Exposure to UV light will help a lot. Also, if this is hypocalcemia, it will be slow to cure.

artgirl77

hi....i have two of these frogs for sure big eye....i found alot of information under peacock frog if this helps.....

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

This isn't a very good "welcome", but I would probably get your frog to the vet if I were you, just in case there's a risk it might get out of hand. But welcome to the forum!
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I would like to point out that the problem with the jaw can be a case of hypocalcemia or metabollic bone disease, which is common in captive amphibians. The cyst or blister I cannot explain so easily.
    In the case of hypocalcemia, treatment is to increase calcium and vitamin D intake. Exposure to UV light will help a lot. Also, if this is hypocalcemia, it will be slow to cure.
    I read that you generally have to have calcium injections done if it is MBD or they won't recover because their bodies cannot process enough calcium at a time to rebuild it. Is this true?

Thread Information