Thread: Trouble with plants

nekomeh

Default Trouble with plants

I am building a dart frog tank in a 55 gallon. I am looking to try to figure out what plants to get for it so any suggestions would be appreciated. Want the to be some color in there besides just green lol. I am having trouble findings good reliable place to buy them though. I had wanted to buy from josh's frogs but he seems to be out of most of his bromiliads and I also waned some tillandsias which he doesn't seem to have. Thanks for any help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Trouble with plants

Quote Originally Posted by nekomeh View Post
    I am building a dart frog tank in a 55 gallon. I am looking to try to figure out what plants to get for it so any suggestions would be appreciated. Want the to be some color in there besides just green lol. I am having trouble findings good reliable place to buy them though. I had wanted to buy from josh's frogs but he seems to be out of most of his bromiliads and I also waned some tillandsias which he doesn't seem to have. Thanks for any help
    Well the most common plants in Dart frog vivs are Bromeliads. If you want to know where to get some good ones our frog guru Kurt will be able to help you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I like to use ferns, creeping fig which grows pretty quickly, small bromeliads, earth stars or Cryptanthus, and Ficus. Many of the online frogs dealers will also have dart frog friendly plants.

Check out the dealers who have running here on the forum for some good examples.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Leefrogs

Walmart, loses. Whatever around you. The only thing is that they were fertilized and need a good soak and cleaning.

guppygal

Lowes usually has an excellent selection of vivarium-sized plants, including some nice bromeliads. Make sure you clean them with 5 to 10% bleach mixed with water and rinse thoroughly.

Frogs love lots of plants. I carry pictures of my frogs so that I can show the sales person and I usually get great markdowns on plants. Bromeliads past their prime can be had for a buck or two, so look for those that have pups and do a little bit of bargaining. It usually works out nicely ~

kristi

Nationality
    [Ireland]

In the USA, the big box hardware stores and even regular supermarkets sell a lot of house plants which make great terrarium plants. The broms they sell though tend to be a bit on the large side for terrariums.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

I get most of my plants from either Home Depot or Lowes. Lowes usually has the plants in different sizes if you look around. That way you can see what the plant will look like when it gets bigger. Sometimes biweekly pruning will help you keep the plants the right size for your viv.

nekomeh

I really appreciate all the responses. My wife anger mother were at Lowes today andshe came home with a nice looking brom. It doesn't say what kind it is and I have no clue so I don't know how big it'll get. Guess I'll just hope for the best on tha one

nekomeh

Wow. Lots of spelling mistakes in that last post there lol. Oh well. I meant to ask if anyone had got anything from New England Herpetoculture - Home. they seem to have a nice selection

Wow. Lots of spelling mistakes in that last post there lol.
    ...My wife anger mother...
    If this wasn't one of those spelling mistakes, I feel for you man...

Check your local nurseries and garden centres as well. Some will stock a variety of tropical house plants, others nothing at all (calling around first doesn't hurt). You can also learn to embrace green and enjoy the different shapes and textures you can get green plants in.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is a question I am hope someone can answer. Can you trim back the center leaves on a Bromeliad or Cryptanthus when they are getting too big for the viv? I have one Cryptanthus pushing the lid off and although it was coming straight out of the background, it has turned up in the center and is getting huge.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

guppygal

I look at it this way - what are your options? You can pull the plant and put it in a pot or a larger vivarium, or you can try trimming the leaves and see if that will help keep it under control. If not, you can pull the plant and put in a pot...................

Besides, you can expect pups after it flowers, and they'll be small enuf for your tank, at least for a little while.

I'm sure someone has a better answer ~

nekomeh

Yeah i will definitely be using mostly green but i just wanted to add a little color throughout to break it up. I'll post some pics of my tank so far to see what you guys think. Still have to finish putting the coconut fiber on the background, but the waterfall, the mayan-ish type carving, and the tree which isnt showing up very well in the pics. Looks kinda just like a brown blob) are done. Still have to finish the little stream that goes to the hole in the false bottom in the middle. Any suggestions or critiques? And if anyone can tell me what kind of bromeliad that is i would be very greatful. Although i dont think i am as happy with the way my tank looks in these pics. Looks better in person lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Freebird11

LivePlants

With live plants, one consideration is whether the plant itself is compatible and appropriate for the living conditons required by your frog. Plants, just as frogs, require certain conditions to thrive in so it is important that your frog's ideal environment matches the plant's ideal conditions. You also need to take into consideration the size and weight of the frog in comparison to the size, sturdiness and hardiness of the plant. You can also match plants from a frog's natural geographical habitat if you wish.
    Artificial Plants
    Different plastic plants have different textures. Some are plastic with very slick and smooth leaves and others are fabric which are more rough. Some frogs have preferences and dislikes when it comes to texture, so if your frog avoids a plant, you could try a different type.

Thread Information