Thread: So.........I was thinking poison dart frogs(:

froglover27

Talking So.........I was thinking poison dart frogs(:

Hi, Im impressed with all of the great advice I have gotten so far and hope for LOTS more I am Interested, no VERY INTERESTED in keeping poison dart frogs i was wondering what type of poison dart frog is hardy, not to small, easy to care for, and can eat crickets Thanks a bunch

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Baelari

Default Re: So.........I was thinking poison dart frogs(:

P. Terribilis might be good. They're probably what I will get when I build my next vivarium.

4. This member thanks Baelari for this post:

froglover27

Talking Re: So.........I was thinking poison dart frogs(:

Quote Originally Posted by Baelari View Post
    P. Terribilis might be good. They're probably what I will get when I build my next vivarium.

Hmmm...I really like their look!! Thanks!! Do you have any ideas on plants to use??

Kurt

Plants that like a humid enviroment. I personally like ferns and ficus.

froglover27

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Plants that like a humid enviroment. I personally like ferns and ficus.

Hmmm. I like ferns.....I have heard about bromeliads, orchids, etc....

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

In terms of beginner dart species I would say the following:

Dendrobates leucomelas - big, bold and good in groups
    Dendrobates azureus - big, bold and good in sexed pairs or male dominated trios
    Epipedobates anthonyi- smaller species but very bold and active and great in groups
    Phyllobates terribilis or bicolor - big, bold and good in groups

Dendrobates auratus is also hardy too but I have never kept these and I do hear they generally are much shyer than the above species.

All the above will eat hatchling and 1st instar crickets but personally I prefer to feed mine on fruit flies, bean and grain weevils, whiteworms, aphids, springtails and tropical woodlice. Im not a fan of crickets - they can bite your frogs (had a black one bite an azureus), munch on your plants and if not eaten can grow to full size in your viv. Having said that I know a lot of people use them but I suppose its all down to your preference. I have started breeding milkweed bugs as an alternative - the first 4 instars are readily taken by frogs and they dont smell like crickets.

In terms of plants bromeliads are standard plants in most my vivs - either mounted on coco fibre background or mounted on branches as well as orchids (Phalaenopsis mainly). For climbing plants I use ficus pumila (although this can be a bit of a beast if not trimmed), ficus quercifolia (less rampant than pumila), cissus amazonica, philodendron scandens, scindapsus pictus and also various tradescantia species. Begonia shulzei is also great climber - lovely leaves, does very well in the warm humid environments and will produce lovely little pink flowers all year round.
    You can use lots of other foliage plants like asplenium nidus, peperomia, pilea cadierei, fittonia, syngonium and soleirolia soleirolii. Riccia flutans is also great for covering moist rocks and any water areas.
    Plus you can use various mosses for the bottom of your tank but it looks just as good with leaf litter and tropical seedpods.

When setting up your viv I would seed your substrate with springtails and tropical woodlice - they will breed in the tank and keep down any mould and debris plus will be a snack for the frogs!

Hope that has helped
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

froglover27

Quote Originally Posted by berksmike View Post

Epipedobates anthonyi- smaller species but very bold and active and great in groups

Dendrobates auratus is also hardy too but I have never kept these and I do hear they generally are much shyer than the above species.

All the above will eat hatchling and 1st instar crickets but personally I prefer to feed mine on fruit flies, bean and grain weevils, whiteworms, aphids, springtails and tropical woodlice. Im not a fan of crickets - they can bite your frogs (had a black one bite an azureus), munch on your plants and if not eaten can grow to full size in your viv. Having said that I know a lot of people use them but I suppose its all down to your preference. I have started breeding milkweed bugs as an alternative - the first 4 instars are readily taken by frogs and they dont smell like crickets.

In terms of plants bromeliads are standard plants in most my vivs - either mounted on coco fibre background or mounted on branches as well as orchids (Phalaenopsis mainly). For climbing plants I use ficus pumila (although this can be a bit of a beast if not trimmed), ficus quercifolia (less rampant than pumila), cissus amazonica, philodendron scandens, scindapsus pictus and also various tradescantia species. Begonia shulzei is also great climber - lovely leaves, does very well in the warm humid environments and will produce lovely little pink flowers all year round.
    You can use lots of other foliage plants like asplenium nidus, peperomia, pilea cadierei, fittonia, syngonium and soleirolia soleirolii. Riccia flutans is also great for covering moist rocks and any water areas.
    Plus you can use various mosses for the bottom of your tank but it looks just as good with leaf litter and tropical seedpods.

When setting up your viv I would seed your substrate with springtails and tropical woodlice - they will breed in the tank and keep down any mould and debris plus will be a snack for the frogs!

Hope that has helped

Thanks for ALL of that GREAT advice berksmike

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hope that has helped
    I really liked your information of the plants. Great info for beginner or the more experiences vivarium keeper!
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Nationality
    [United States]

The only thing that I would add to Berkmike's advice (very good and concise) is to emphasize that a thicker leaf litter (3+ inches deep) will facilitate sustaining healthy populations of springtails, isopods/woodlice, and other microfauna. Not only do they provide a variety of food, but springtails feed on fungi and isos/woodlice will act as an effective cleanup crew - even consuming the frog droppings.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

12. This member thanks JimO for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Cheers guys.
    Just to reiterate the point about leaf litter - not only does it provide great place for springs and isopods I have also found it can help increase boldness in shy frogs (particularly thumbnails). I use a mixture of oak leaves, which break down relatively quickly, as well as dried magnolia leaves which last a very long time and are very popular with springtails. Tropical seed pods also great - I use almond pods, savu pods and sapucuja shells
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

froglover27

Cheers guys.
    Just to reiterate the point about leaf litter - not only does it provide great place for springs and isopods I have also found it can help increase boldness in shy frogs (particularly thumbnails). I use a mixture of oak leaves, which break down relatively quickly, as well as dried magnolia leaves which last a very long time and are very popular with springtails. Tropical seed pods also great - I use almond pods, savu pods and sapucuja shells

Thanks for your help!! Anywho does anyone know a cheap, easy, reliable place to buy springtails, etc? Also, can they be the staple diet for darts?? Thanks a bunch

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I found this supplier (although being in the UK I have never used them myself):
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/food-nutri...ringtails.html

You would just need this starter culture - you can add some direct to your viv but i think its always a good idea to culture them outside too. I use unventilated 9L RUBs to culture mine and you can get great numbers. I raise them on 50/50 coir and orchid bark and feed them tropical fish flake and vegetable peelings. I have found tropical springtails (seira sp) the best all rounder in terms of a feeder species and custodian. The folsomia species are excellent custodians but are slower than the seira and I have found that they elicit a slightly less vigorous feeding response as they are slower.

I always think a varied diet is advised with any frog so I just use springtails as part of the diet along with the other species I mentioned in my post earlier.
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Josh's Frogs is one of our sponsors. I've met Josh too, and I occasionally buy hard to find supplies from there.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

froglover27

Hmmm....I will have to check out Josh's frog So, a varied diet is better?? Thanks everyone for the great advice and info

rcteem

Quote Originally Posted by froglover27 View Post
    Hmmm....I will have to check out Josh's frog So, a varied diet is better?? Thanks everyone for the great advice and info
    Everyone has given you great advice and if you follow it, odds are you'll be way on your way to success. If you have any questions dont hesitate to contact us and feel free to ask question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. This member thanks rcteem for this post:

poison beauties

Hope that has helped

I'd toss all Tinctorius morphs into this list of great starter darts.

As for Micro Fauna Josh isnt the greatest place to go as he had very limited species for sale. If you need it now I'd try Doug or ''Pumilio'' on DB as hes doing well and has a larger variety at a better price.

Michael

froglover27

Cool(: Any idea which ones would probably be the cheapest?? And/or most reliable and hardy? Thanks SOOOO MUCH for all the advice everyone has given(:

Thread Information