Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman frog tadpoles

Question Pacman frog tadpoles

Hi
    I have been wondering for quite some time now why nobody seems to have pacman frog tadpoles. Does anyone here have them? Please could you post pics if you do because I would love to see them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Pacman frog tadpoles

Pacman frogs are bred by only a few major producers using hormone treatment. Breeding by hobbyists is a fairly rare event so there just aren't many tads to show.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I plan on breeding my pacs next year so keep on the watch froglets and tadpoles for sale

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

There are a few more breeders over here in the UK breeding their pacmans without hormone treatment.
    This does involve a period of aestivation to condition the frogs for breeding which itself has its own risks but quite a few have had great successes.
    0.0.2 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.0.3 Dendrobates azureus
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius "Alanis" (tads)
    3.3.0 Epipedobates anthonyi (+tads!)
    0.0.1 Lepidobatrachus laevis
    0.0.4 Pyllobates terribilis
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya imitator "Chazuta"
    0.0.3 Ranitomeya vanzolini
    0.0.6 Xenopus laevis

Iratus ranunculus

On the plus side, you can order the necessary chemicals for hormone treatment. None of them are controlled. On the other hand, I would not recommend that for the average hobbyist (That means you) without training and the equipment to get the dosages right.

Nationality
    [United States]

Where can you get hormones from i dont wont none but i was wondering where can you get some from

Iratus ranunculus

Quote Originally Posted by pac View Post
    Where can you get hormones from i dont wont none but i was wondering where can you get some from
    Chemical supply companies. The most successful combination is a form of synthetic leutenizing hormone and a dopamine antagonist in a DMSO carrier. But... to keep people from Trying This At Home I wont say the exact combination (doses, administration methods, which specific stuff you want, which supply company has the best stuff etc)

Thanks for your replies everybody. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get on for 3 days. I really wish your average jo could breed them it would be great to breed them without chemicals.

Nationality
    [United States]

That what im doing natural breeding way i know this couple they have awebsite called ivory reptiles they breed there horned frogs the natual way and they being doing it for 3yrs the natural this is the only people i know that breed them natural and they have babys for sale now so good check out the website

Iratus ranunculus

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    Thanks for your replies everybody. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get on for 3 days. I really wish your average jo could breed them it would be great to breed them without chemicals.
    To be fair:

If someone here wanted to set up a commercial breeding operation (there are certainly people here experienced enough to do it), and had a trained herp vet willing to assist them, I would be happy to tell them the dosage, chemical, and supplier details. Anything that takes pressure from wild populations is a good thing. I just wont do it on a public forum because of ethical concerns. Botched breeding attempts could injure or kill a lot of frogs.

From what I've read the wild population is taking quite hit so if anyone here could breed them that would be awesome. I just wish I could get Pacman frogs in NZ but unfortunately we can only keep 3 species of frogs here. Green and Golden Bell frogs, Southern Bell frogs and Whistling tree frogs (Brown Tree frogs).

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry to hear that but what month should i wait my frogs im thinking of putting them down in december then wake them up in march or may or wait in till june to wake them up

England Frog

Talking Re: Pacman frog tadpoles

Usually when someone is interested in a pac man frog(s) they want baby or adult and they buy them from a pet store or from someone who bought them(it) at a pet store who breed them with hormones. But there is a possibility of breeding them without the hormones. If you want you can look on the internet and there will be an article and maybe some pictures about it. You could even do it your self if you wanted to, you just need the frogs and the supplies needed to breed and you can use no hormones what so ever. Just remember that it may or may not work, the frogs have to want to mate. So if your looking for pic on pac man tadpoles some hobbyists have websites and they'll put pics of the babies on them or just browse on Google and see what you can find.

IvoryReptiles

Wow.....thanks for the shout out Pac!

We have been breeding the pacs (C.cranwelli) for 3 years successfully with NO hormone treatments. We rarely eastivate them due to the risks involved.
    Luckily here in South Texas, the rainy season gets them in the mood (too bad we are experiencing a drought right now!!).

We currently have froglets available and will have tadpoles available soon. We had planned on vending at the San Antonio Expo but it looks like it has been canceled for August, so we will be there in November instead.

I know I have been MIA for a while, and I apologize, but life took us on a detour and we are back on track now! Please feel free to ask any questions you like and I will answer if I can!

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Your welcome we bieng talking about breeding ornates on youtube my name is devonte151

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by pac View Post
    Your welcome we bieng talking about breeding ornates on youtube my name is devonte151
    I figured as much! Good to see you here. Keep us posted on your breeding project, it is so awesome when it goes right and you can literally watch the eggs metamorphose into tadpoles in a 27 hour period.

Nationality
    [United States]

All have to do is buy the rainchamber and buy some deli cups anybody know a good supplier

frogmike

I have been breeding them for e few years now, and I have to say that its not that hard to do. The hard thing is keeping the babies from eating one another! I don't think breeding them is a good idea if you don't have a lot of time and money. It has been a lot of work and stress doing it out of my home and I made about $15 each year. That was after subtracting all the supplies and tank equipment. I don't know if I'm even doing it this year. last year I was stck in the house with a totaly destroyed right knee from racing super cross. Now that I'm back on the bike, I think I'll just enjoy my monsterous eating machines!

Nationality
    [United States]

I may try this once with ornates

pacsack

Sure I'll tell you where the clutch, gas, and brakes are on a cbr1000 super sport. Hell I'll even explain how they work! But that doesn't mean you should hop on for a test ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information