Thread: Escape artist FBT!!

Firebelly love

Exclamation Escape artist FBT!!

I woke up this morning to find my new resident FBT gone!! I freaked out. So I decided to start searching, but to no avail. I went on the internet to see how long frogs could last out of water (I had left the door open to the computer room) and I luckily looked out the door, to see the missing frog hopping down the hall!! Relieved, I scooped him up, got the dust of his dry skin and immediately plopped him into the tank, into water! I was wondering if he would be ok, he had to have fallen pretty far, considering my tank is sitting on a table. I also don't know how long he had been out of the tank. Should I just watch him for the next few days, to see if he will be alright? And how can I reinforce the tank, so he can't escape again? Its a tank with just a screen top. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Firebelly love; July 1st, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kRiBBiTd

Default Re: Escape artist FBT!!

I don't know much about FBT but my bullfrog escaped while I was cleaning his take a few days ago. He spent about half a day out of water before I finally found him. He was so dry and weak he could hardly move. I put him in water like you did and he was good a new by morning! Can't say it will be the same for your FBT but it's likely he will be just fine...

4. This member thanks kRiBBiTd for this post:

bshmerlie

Fire Bellies are some of the strongest frogs out there. Chances are he will be just fine. Just keep him with plenty of clean fresh water and he'll likely bounce back. I also wouldn't be too worried about the fall they are pretty resilient. You should probably duck tape the screen lid down so they can't get out again. They are very persistent and will keep trying now that they know they can get out. They are pretty strong at pushing off lids even if you have objects on top of them or they get their limbs stuck in there. Be careful and make sure it is secure. I'm glad you found him and he's okay.

6. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Firebelly love

I hadn’t thought to duct tape the lid, but that’s a good idea. It will certainly keep him from getting out again. And so far he is doing fine! Thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

One of my gray tree frogs escaped earlier this week. I still have NO CLUE. I woke up to find her sitting on top of the screen staring at me when I went to check on them. She was a bit dry and very happy to go back in her viv. I had some leftover screen material from my viv build, so i put that over the top and wrapped it with packing tape. It has kept her in now, but it sure is a pita! Next week I can move her to the new viv though and that one should be totally escape proof!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Oops! Glad you caught your run away toad! Mine have had long falls before but never had a chance to run after wards!

How is he doing now? They cope very well with dry conditions, i left mine in the care of someone who forgot to mist their tank and change their water dish! When i got back they were avoiding the water and their land was very dry so they had just buried themselves in a row underneath a log that was damp on the underside. Pretty clever if you ask me

Froog

Post Re: Escape artist FBT!!

She/he will be just fine. Just keep her/his water clean and full! I wouldn't worry about the fall, FBTs are very harty. Good luck!

Thread Information