Thread: Does tank size matter? Proof it does

Wolfx

Default Does tank size matter? Proof it does

These are before an after pics of Bully my GABF, this is the growth he has had in 1 month, the 2 other GABF that were for sale with bully, are the same size they were. i know the ones in the pet store are kept in very small under 5 gallon glass display tanks. So IMO get ya frogs into a big natural envirment, tupperware is not natural...

Proof? would you say so? Bully is getting fed once a day. aprox 15 minutes of feeding, with crickets/nightcrawlers as a staple, with butterworms/phonix worms as treats
    p.s. Bully is starting to get orange spots above his arms..yay coloring time!
    Rember you can always watch Bully live right now
    http://www.livestream.com/wolfieseyes after 930pm its lights out so might be hard to see. feeding time is anywhere between 7-9 pm
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Does tank size matter? Proof it does

Thanks Wolfx.
    Live stream... nice.

Beautiful Frog.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Wolfx

Ty Don , I love to monitor Bully when im at work with my iphone, also i show him off to my customers lol
    I also have a motion activated cam, on the mist system,canister filter an electrical area, located on the floor if anything happens, it send me a warning to my phone, while taking snap shots( also have this on my security cams for home) an i can view the cam an see if there is any danger . my cat loves to walk into the cams sight an get her pic taken.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow, nice. Maybe you can do a small article for everyone on how to do this the video part of your system? That would be way cool.

Wolfx

I deff would , if people are intreasted, i would want to ask John first see what he thought.
    just would need someone to proof read it , my spelling is poopy lmao

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That would be cool! I'd love to be able to check my frogs during the day or when I'm out of town for a day or two!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfx View Post
    I deff would , if people are intreasted, i would want to ask John first see what he thought.
    just would need someone to proof read it , my spelling is poopy lmao
    Since it would be frog related and would go perfectly in the Vivarium Construction area of the forum, I bet Cheri and John would definitely say go for it and I would send to Cheri for proof reading.

The the whole idea behind this forum, learning, sharing, and having fun :-)

Eel Noob

Let me get this right, you're saying your frog is growing faster than the two still at the store? If so how is this proof? Are the frogs at the store fed same amount and at same time? I know alot of petshops don't feed their animals and if they do it's only once a week or so. And what if you're frog is a male and the two at the shop are females? What I'm trying to say is alot of factors could play into growth and wellness.

A little confuse here, what I don't get is how is your setup more natural than tupperware? Yours is a glass setup which is still confining the animal.

Wolfx

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    Let me get this right, you're saying your frog is growing faster than the two still at the store? If so how is this proof? Are the frogs at the store fed same amount and at same time? I know alot of petshops don't feed their animals and if they do it's only once a week or so. And what if you're frog is a male and the two at the shop are females? What I'm trying to say is alot of factors could play into growth and wellness.

A little confuse here, what I don't get is how is your setup more natural than tupperware? Yours is a glass setup which is still confining the animal.
    The size of my Bully was a quarter a month ago( first pic). the tank hes in is 18x18x24, this is a huge tank, for a frog this size. The Guys at the pet store also are baffled, an do feed there frogs as often as i do. the Big major diffrence imo is there lil cage. an Bullys Africa, recreation lol.
    An infact they had just lost the 9 inch monster GABF the owner used in shows, so hes trying to bulk one up. An i agree an hope ya right hes Male alot of factors, but Bully could eat his 2 lil siblings at this point. food is the same, even if they were female, there still the same size bully was a month ago . Also check some pics on the forum. Pyxie bobs 2 guys in a month havent seemed to grow very much, but not sure what he keeps them in, just happen to see his pics from a month ago, an his recent post of new pics.

Wolfx

Just came from the Pet store an was able to get a pic of the cage an size of Bullys siblings. keep in mind, the first 2 pics of this tread is of bully when i got him a month ago,the seconds 2 are recent. an here is the pic of the tank an frog at the petstore
    Attached Images Attached Images   

spencerburgo

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfx View Post
    Just came from the Pet store an was able to get a pic of the cage an size of Bullys siblings. keep in mind, the first 2 pics of this tread is of bully when i got him a month ago,the seconds 2 are recent. an here is the pic of the tank an frog at the petstore
    i think the biggest enclosure you can offer a frog the better, but i would put it down to quality and quantity of food, pet shops give young african bullfrogs no were near the food they require to grow at the rate they can grow at, i dont think they actually realize how much they eat but its food not enclosure for getting them big,

cheers spencer.............

Kevin1

I agree. Food and temperature are the two main growth factors and I'm pretty sure it's the lack of food causing the stunt in growth.

SkeletalFrog

Technically, it's impossible to draw any conclusions from the sample sizes you have (1 at home, 2 in the store). What if yours is just unusually large, and would have grown this rapidly regardless? It's not likely, but you can't be sure. That's why actual experiments need dozens or even hundreds of individuals or tests to be sure - with small numbers, it could just be luck.

sflyingcow

Hey i've got a 50/50 set up and use that same duetto filter in the photo you ever find the water getting dirty quick? i fell like i change water/clean filter off coconut every other day.

Can't tell your tank size but mine is a 40 gallon breeder and my water i would guess is about a 5 gallons

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Yes please go for it!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Wolfx

Quote Originally Posted by sflyingcow View Post
    Hey i've got a 50/50 set up and use that same duetto filter in the photo you ever find the water getting dirty quick? i fell like i change water/clean filter off coconut every other day.

Can't tell your tank size but mine is a 40 gallon breeder and my water i would guess is about a 5 gallons
    I use a canister filter setup outside the tank a pen-plax 500 cascade, my tank holds ruffly 3-4 gallons, i clean the filter once a week. just as precaution. this week im probably going to let it go, water is clear, no algae. sub straight does clog the basket at the end of the tube. i use a small net to just shake it off an fish it out. my girl is swearing she saw a small water vacume , runs on batteries. to just suck out the sub straight quick..ill let ya know if we find one.

Wolfx

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    I agree. Food and temperature are the two main growth factors and I'm pretty sure it's the lack of food causing the stunt in growth.
    I had said it earlier, the reptile store is also trying to grow a large male , so as to replace there GABF male they were using in shows. they keep him in a small container an feed it heartily. hes not much bigger then the photos i showed with the quarter. same age as my Bully
    im on the fence about gettting the little guy in the photo, i feel bad for him every week. lol

Kevin1

All right so I'm assuming you KNOW how much they are being fed(at the store) and by know I mean see with your own eyes day by day?
    I forgot one thing genetics..but the engine doesn't go if it has no fuel.

scottsolar

Default Does tank size matter? NOPE

I once raised a goldfish in a one gallon container. In six months the fish was approaching 12" total length and was such a large volume of the container he could no longer turn around. He grew so fast because I fed often and as much as he'd eat. Maybe three times a day! The water was warm at 76-78F

How did I do this?

The container was made of hard plastic mesh and was hung inside a 60 gallon fish tank with continuously clean and filtered water.

The size of the container limits nothing in the growth of an animal. The quantity and quality of food is first and foremost, after that the cleanliness of the environment is tantamount. Had my fish been raised in 1 gallon of water he would have fouled the water so badly his kidneys would have failed and he would have died long before 6 month!

21. This member thanks scottsolar for this post:

Thread Information