Thread: Grey tree frog behavior question ?????????

frog

Question Grey tree frog behavior question ?????????

My grey tree frog spends just about the same time in the water as out? I thought tree frogs stay in the trees and only come down to drink/absorb water through there skin when needed? He stays in this rock waterfall total submerged except for his eyes and nose for hours every day, it’s like his own personal Jacuzzi. Is this common behavior? Does anyone have any idea why he does this?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Grey tree frog behavior question ?????????

Soaking water can relax the bowel. So maybe he/she is constipated or impacted. Maybe its enviroment is too dry. There are a number of possiblities.

So let me ask you this, what do you feed it and what is the humidity level in its enclosure?

frog

I don’t think he’s constipated. Poops like every other day. I don’t know the humidity, but top of cage has water condensation on it. He eats mostly mealworms and sometimes crickets and moths as a treat when I catch them.

JeffX

You need to get a gauge so you can keep an eye on the humidity. They are fairly cheap at a local pet store. What's the temp in the cage as well?

Also you said moths and crickets when you catch them? I take it your feeding him insects that you catch out in the wild. That's usually not a good idea, since they could have pesticides on them that could harm the frog.

frog

He was caught outside. This is stuff he would have eaten in the wild, if I did not catch him. I don’t see how this would hurt him. It is his natural diet. The tank is at room temp.

frog

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought grey tree frogs don’t need high humidity and a temperature controlled tank. Room temp should be fine?

JeffX

It's still a good idea to keep an eye on the temp. I have a Grey Tree Frog and I have both gauges in my tank. I was asking since you said that there was moisture on the top of the cage. For that to happen it usually means its pretty humid in there.

As far as the feeding question. Pesticides aren't natural either. There is no way to know for sure, but why risk it? It's safer for your pet to feed it store bought crickets and worms.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Or he just enjoys it. Also aren't there two types and you don't know what kind yours is right? I heard that one of them enjoys staying lower and the other higher off the ground.

Kurt

Condensation is an indication of too much humidity. Remember treefrogs need good ventilation. Provide better ventilation and see what happens.

frog

After observing him for a while now, i think he just likes it. No health or eating issues and only slight condensation on the waterfall side of the tank not the whole tank.He has a vented screen top with only a 1/8 of blocked off to keep some humidity and warmth in.

Kurt

None of my treefrog enclosures have condensation.

Thread Information