Thread: Pacific Chorus Frog--Noise Level?

Frog Mom

Default Pacific Chorus Frog--Noise Level?

First off, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I tried looking around to double check, but I still wasn't sure.

Anyway, I have some young Pacific Chorus Frogs, seven of them to be exact. They are still too young, I'm assuming, to tell what sex they are. They just absorbed their tails about a month ago. I'm just starting to be concerned about how much noise they will make if I have a few males in the bunch. I know how loud they are outside, how much racket are they going to make inside? Is it noisy like a loud tv? Will they be loud even if one is in another room of the house with the door shut? Just trying to plan ahead for where they need to be in the house so they don't bug the rest of my family.

Thanks for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lnaminneci

Default Re: Pacific Chorus Frog--Noise Level?

Hi Frog Mom,

Pacific Chorus Frogs (PCF's) are treefrogs, so you can post in that category. But we can still find you if you accidently post elsewhere!

I have 12 PCF's, about half and half females/males. The mating season is from Nov.-July so my guys have been pretty quiet now that it is coming to a close. I also notice they really only croak when it rains outside as well. I have 4 adults and the rest are juvy's. For the most part mine are very quiet, when they croak it is only about 4 small gritty sounding croaks ( for lack of a better description) and sporatic. They do not disturb me at all, and I have them in the livingroom.

Check out the Care Article Pacific Chorus Frog Care if you haven't already.
    Good luck with your little guys, and gals. They are very fun, entertaining frogs!

~Lesley

4. This member thanks lnaminneci for this post:

Frog Mom

Lesley,

Thanks for the input. That puts my mind at ease. I have so much fun watching the frogs every day. My family thinks I'm a little nuts. I was just worried that they would become so loud that everyone else would be irritated by them. Sounds like they will just make a reasonable level of noise from what you described. And in my house, with 4 kids, that should be just fine.

I have been reading everything I can about them on this site. It has been such a help to me over the last couple of months. It's so great to be able ask questions and get answers from people with experience, because even the people at our local pet store really have no clue about frogs.

TheMaskedMan

I was able to breed about 200 tadpoles last year, I released most of them in my little pond and kept 12.....5 were males and 7 females. The males throat turned dark at about 6-7 months...and they started to croak around early April. When I separted the males I kept one and thats when he got really really loud....and trust me they are VERY loud. The 4 i released that night went crazy outside and croaked like maniacs for months until about a month ago it all got quiet for now...When I water the lawn at night and it's a cold night..i can sometims hear them croak a bit....they love the cold...go figure.

Frog Mom

Yikes! Sounds loud. Fortunately, we have a long house, so maybe they will be hanging out at the far end from the bedrooms next year.

TheMaskedMan

If you released them outside by now.....they may not muture this year until next year.....I fed my frogs alot so they matured fast and were croaking before they were a year old.... besdies they will look for a source of water.....like a puddle or non running water source to lay their eggs....do you have like a little pond in your yard?......and yes....man when they croak it's very very loud.

Thread Information