Thread: Just Sayin Hi!

kRiBBiTd

Post Just Sayin Hi!

Hey everyone!
    My name is Kristin. I've been a frog lover for my entire life but only recently was able to keep one as a pet. I have one American Bullfrog, Jeremiah. I raised him from a tadpole and he is now a young froglet. I'm having trouble getting him to eat so if anyone has suggestions let me know please.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Just Sayin Hi!

Hello and welcome!! I have no experience with bullfrogs, but a few things that might help out the others... what is the temperature and humidity? What kind of vivarium is he in? What have you been feeding him?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

3. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Fae

Welcome to the forum! I have some bronze frogs (one of them named Jeremiah ) that I raised from babies... and I feed them with feeding tweezers. You could try that maybe with a wax worm or a small red wiggler. Crickets may work as well. You will need to kind of tease him with it (wiggle it) because they like live things. Typically it takes them a few days to eat after they turn into lil froggies. I hope feeding him works out for you. Good luck.

5. This member thanks Fae for this post:

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Welcome to the forum Kristin. The food needs to move to attract him. If he only recently lost a tail there will be a lag time before he starts to eat food. Crickets are an excellent choice.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

7. This member thanks John for this post:

kRiBBiTd

Thanks for the suggestions... I don't know much about raising frogs as I'm a beginner and I've heard many different things on what to feed and what temp the tank should be. I had been keeping the tank between 72-80 degrees. I live in Oklahoma so it is easy to maintain this temp without even lighting the tank and it is also humid here so no need for humidity regulation lol.
    I originally bought some freeze dried crickets and mealworms to feed him but I soon found out that wouldn't work. I have even tried to hand feed him a night crawler but that was obviously too big. In desperation I caught a house fly and took the wings off for him last night. I think he ate that but I don't want to rely on that because house flies can carry diseases.
    My main issue is that I don't have alot of money to spend so I have find the least expensive way to get him to eat. I really like the idea of trying to feed him with tweezers so I think I will try that first before I have to resort to more expensive live food.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Crickets aren't that expensive. I usually buy 50-75 at a time and only spend $4-$6 depending where I am getting them from (the two cheap stores are sometimes sold out of small crickets so I have to go elsewhere!) From what I've seen, that's cheaper than the freeze dried bugs, healthier, and much more enticing for them. So I would definitely go the live food route.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

kRiBBiTd

Thanks I'll see if I can find a place to get some close to where I live

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi there Kristin. Welcome to the forum . You certainly have the dedication..taking the wings off the flies . Well done. When you get your Crickets you might want to read this.. Cricket glass bowl trick???? ( 1 2 3)

12. This member thanks Ebony for this post:

kRiBBiTd

Thanks Ebony! I'm going to have to get a little bowl. That was a great idea and and my water will stay clean!

Thread Information