Thread: How to feed your baby pac large cickets

frogmike

Default How to feed your baby pac large cickets

I recently ordered a baby albino pac through Petco, and when it arrived I was shocked to see that it was a bit smaller than a penny. So,for the first time, I bought 2 dozen small crickets, which were the same price as large. It went through them in 4 days, and was not satisfied because it had doubled in size already. I went and got 2 dozen large crickets and it spotted them in the bag that I had placed near its tank. Before I could dust a couple in calcium it had started jumping toward them against the glass. When the first one hit the ground in the tank, it was actually chased down and attacked! I thought that it could handle the cricket, so I left the room. When I returned, the cricket had gotten away using its strong jumping legs. This might sound bad, but I have been taking the time to remove the last section of their jumping legs. They are the toughest part of the cricket and have been known to cause impaction in small pacman frogs anyway. They are are a little wetter so the calcium sticks better, and they crawl much slower making it easy for capture. My baby albino is putting away 2 to 3 large crickets a day with ease, and is growing rapidly!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How to feed your baby pac large cickets

I just got me a baby ornate today and he is about the size of your baby and he ate 3 superworms today you should try superworms my baby like them already going to grow to be a happy beast like my female ornate

frogmike

I have tried super worms in the past with a few of my first pacman frogs, and as most pacman frog owners know, they do cause impaction. It is ok to give them a few(3 or 4) every month, but they are made up of mostly a tough exosceleton which is hard to digest. If you don't ease up on the super worms, your frog will get blocked up and become sick or possibly die. I would stick to crickets and a live pinky mouse every once in a while for small pacman frogs. Once they get around baseball size they can handle super worms a little better, but prolly won't want to eat anything besides large dubia roaches and adult mice.

frogmike

Where did you get the ornate? I have been searching every where for one. I know of five websites that sell them, but i'm not so sure that UPS can get them to my house safely. For God's sake, they can't even get my new skate shoes to me without crushing the box every time! Plus it costs $40 to $50 to have a frog shipped! If there are any well known pet shops that have them or can order them please let me know.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

You can put the crickets in the fridge before feeding them, if your pac has a hard time catching them. That slows them down.

tukmol

Quote Originally Posted by Raya View Post
    You can put the crickets in the fridge before feeding them, if your pac has a hard time catching them. That slows them down.
    you mean, the crickets are cold... but still alive? or do they have to be dead before feeding them using this method?

would a cold prey have any negative effect in their stomachs?

thanks.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

They are still alive. They can look dead if you have them in too long but once out in roomtemperature they slowly start moving again. But they are much easier to catch.

I doubt fridgetemperature would be bad for the frog. At least in Sweden, the temps in the fridege is something like +8 degres celsius.

Used to feed my Firebellies this way.

9. This member thanks Raya for this post:

frogmike

My bay albino has no trouble catching large crickets. It has problems with the cricket using its powerful back legs to kick and escape when my frog tries to choke it the rest of the way down. Removing these legs has solved that problem. Kind of the reason for this whole thing.

tukmol

Quote Originally Posted by frogmike View Post
    My bay albino has no trouble catching large crickets. It has problems with the cricket using its powerful back legs to kick and escape when my frog tries to choke it the rest of the way down. Removing these legs has solved that problem. Kind of the reason for this whole thing.
    just wondering... do you just pluck them kickers off the cricket or you cut them of using scissors?

crilund

my albino is the size of an american quarter, what size crickets should i feed him. I put two medium crickets in his tank three days ago and he still has not eaten them. I dont know if i have my temperatures wrong the temp is at 75F im not sure about humidity.

Thread Information