Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Started with Darts

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Talking Getting Started with Darts

Hey guys!

This is my first post in the dart frog section of this forum. I am really excited about getting to know a bunch of you guys who don't hang out at the Pacman Frog section LOL! I really can't wait to get started with Dart Frogs!

Before I continue, I have to thank Cheri for sponsering the 2011 Frog Forum Care Article Contest, because without that, I wouldn't be here right now. Cheri is providing everything I need to get started in this new part of the hobby. Thanks Cheri !! I am glad that I am looking into dart frogs instead of another fat frog like I had planned.

This is a thread that I will be updating alot hopefully. Cheri has shipped lots of stuff, and I will post pictures as the stuff comes in. I am expecting some plants tomorrow, so hopefully I can pictures of those up if they come in tomorrow. I will probably be purchasing the tank at PETCO around the 22nd of this month.

Cheri has already found a nice female Cobalt in my area that a breeder has for sale. She said she'd get a video up after I got this thread up, so I can't wait to see her!! I will be having some back-to-back camps, so I will probably be getting the female around July the 9th-ish. Cheri is going to try and pick up a male and ship him when the weather gets cooler (can't ship a frog in 100*F+ weather we are having in Texas!).

I really look foward to the experience of setting up a dart frog tank, and getting actual dart frogs!! 2 weeks ago I would have never thought... I will include plenty of pictures of what comes in the mail, and of the tank after I start with the DIY background and setup.

Again, I look foward to getting to know all of you! This is the same forum, but a whole new world for me. I am really excited about what will take place over the next few weeks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

artes

Default Re: Getting Started with Darts

I snuck over here from tree and pacman frog forum! Bwhahahah!

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see photos!! I've loved dart frogs ever since I was a very, very little girl, and will one day own them. But for now, looks like I'm about to live vicariously through you!

/popcorn

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post
    Hey guys!

This is my first post in the dart frog section of this forum. I am really excited about getting to know a bunch of you guys who don't hang out at the Pacman Frog section LOL! I really can't wait to get started with Dart Frogs!

Before I continue, I have to thank Cheri for sponsering the 2011 Frog Forum Care Article Contest, because without that, I wouldn't be here right now. Cheri is providing everything I need to get started in this new part of the hobby. Thanks Cheri !! I am glad that I am looking into dart frogs instead of another fat frog like I had planned.

This is a thread that I will be updating alot hopefully. Cheri has shipped lots of stuff, and I will post pictures as the stuff comes in. I am expecting some plants tomorrow, so hopefully I can pictures of those up if they come in tomorrow. I will probably be purchasing the tank at PETCO around the 22nd of this month.

Cheri has already found a nice female Cobalt in my area that a breeder has for sale. She said she'd get a video up after I got this thread up, so I can't wait to see her!! I will be having some back-to-back camps, so I will probably be getting the female around July the 9th-ish. Cheri is going to try and pick up a male and ship him when the weather gets cooler (can't ship a frog in 100*F+ weather we are having in Texas!).

I really look foward to the experience of setting up a dart frog tank, and getting actual dart frogs!! 2 weeks ago I would have never thought... I will include plenty of pictures of what comes in the mail, and of the tank after I start with the Do It Yourself background and setup.

Again, I look foward to getting to know all of you! This is the same forum, but a whole new world for me. I am really excited about what will take place over the next few weeks!
    Welcome to the Bright Side of Frog Keeping...eyeing all those pacman frog lovers!!! Darts are really cool. I know my 0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus' are really fun to watch. Very bold and stay active. The Cobalts are another really nice morph and I will get some in the future.

So what size tank are you looking for? Are you just going to have the pair? With the Petco tank sale coming it is a great opportunity to get a larger setup if you have the room. Be warned this can and is addictive and you may need help with all those other tanks your just gonna get "Just in Case"! By getting your tank as soon as you can this will allow you to take your time in the build and let it settle/grow in! I'm sure you will enjoy it greatly.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Nationality
    [United States]

Dear Stanton,

I hate you.

<3 KT

Firebelly love

Wow! I've heard keeping darts is a lot of fun and hard work!! I don't have the resources to keep them, but would love to someday. Can't wait to see pics!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey there!!

Welcome to the dart side of frogging!! =)

I am glad to hear you have taken an interest into the dart frogs as i have. A couple
    of months ago my world was taken by these frogs. I sat there gleaming with interest
    and desire for them! Needless to say, i finally finished my first vivarium not to long
    ago.Thank god for these forums or i would have made a billion mistakes building a
    dart home.Sadly, i am still sitting here without frogs waiting for my vivarium to grow in.
    I have it posted in the vivarium/terrarium section of the forums under 18x18x24 build
    if you would like to see. Bahh here i go rambling again!

Glad to see you have taken an interest in the cobalts! They are a very beautiful morph
    and from what i have read very bold and active! Hopefully, cobalts will be my second
    dart frog. You must update us on your frogs =). I cannot wait to see them!

Take care,

-Kevin

bshmerlie

The female Cobalt is located locally so Stanton can get her right away. A boy will be mailed once it is cool enough...ya know Texas. Cobalts are my favorite frogs...so bold and active all the time. I hope he enjoys his as much as I enjoy mine. Here is a picture of the wood I sent and a layout design possibility. Two fruit fly cultures will be provided by the lady with the female Cobalt and Joshs Frogs will be supplying all other Fruit Fly supplies, ABG soil, leaf litter, springtails, isopods, and misc other needed supplies. I sent five bags of the LECA so that should be enough for the 29 gallon although Stanton keeps going bigger. Its good to see someone venturing into a whole new world of the frog hobby.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh your both going to have much fun with this build and thread.
    Can't wait to watch as things transpire.
    Hey, did I spell transpire right... hmmmm
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

clownonfire

Dear Stanton,

Congratulations in winning the Care Sheet contest. You will now be the proud owner of a Dendrobate tinctorius "Cobalt". Wonderful! As these little creatures are very important to me, here are a few things you should know:

1. Tincts are from the Slytherin House of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
    2. When you sleep, they sit on your chest, and they will steal your breath.
    3. Tincts only speak Spanish. Or in Tongues.
    4. Little known fact: they are responsible for the Black Plague.
    5. Prone to paranoia, consider making aluminum foil helmets for them.
    6. Tincts are Keyser Soze.

So there, I hope these random facts will help you live in perfect harmony with your new frog.

Eric

Nationality
    [United States]

That is some very interesting information there, Eric (LOL).

I finally got the video of the Dart Frogs up and running! One of those females will be mine in less than a month hopefully!

Here is the video

YouTube - &#x202a;Special Project Revealed!&#x202c;&rlm;

Enjoy!

artes

Slytherin has the coolest mascot/colors, imo.

artes

Just as one more side note - I really want to see those little frogs in tinfoil hats. Seriously.

guppygal

Quote Originally Posted by Firebelly love View Post
    Wow! I've heard keeping darts is a lot of fun and hard work!! I don't have the resources to keep them, but would love to someday. Can't wait to see pics!!!
    But WAIT !! There are TWO parts to owning poison dart frogs. The first part is to create the most beautiful rain-forest environment possible for them in a fairly small area. The Cobalts will do well in a 20+ gal tank, IMO. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

The other part to keeping the frogs is culturing their food. Once you have your fruitfly cultures producing and reproducing, you're good to go. Unlike a lot of critters, you don't have to feed your frogs everyday. It's always a good thing to seed the tank with springtails so they'll have a snack and they like to hunt, and if you're going away for a week, place a culture with holes large enuf for fruitflies to escape and the frogs are self feeding.

I personally dust at every feeding, but it's not necessary. The dusting is necessary, but not at every feeding. I haven't seen any ill effects from dusting the flies each time I feed.

Also, another great food source, especially in East Texas, is termites. You can actually setup a homemade termite trap using very damp pieces of cardboard pressed tightly together between a couple of cheap plastic organizers ( the ones with the holes or slots on the sides). Bury it near a rotten log and check it a few weeks later (providing we get rain this year), and you should find a boatload of termites. Here's the deal, tho - termites are like candy to pdfs, so although they absolutely love them, the termites are very fattening and should not be substituted for fruitflies. You can safely keep them in an airtight container inside your house. Termites cannot survive loose in the house because the humidity is too low.

Other than that, poison dart frogs are very easy keepers, and putting the vivarium together is an artform unto itself. It an be as intricate as you like, or as simple, just as long as the frogs have plenty of hides and lots of plants.

Once a pdfer, always a pdfer, so watchout, Pacman.....!!

kristi

guppygal

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post
    That is some very interesting information there, Eric (LOL).

I finally got the video of the Dart Frogs up and running! One of those females will be mine in less than a month hopefully!

Here is the video

YouTube - &#x202a;Special Project Revealed!&#x202c;&rlm;

Enjoy!
    Geez, I didn't realize how blah that video is. The frogs are so much more colorful. I'll see if I can video with a different camera (or maybe different settings) and post it as well.

cya!

guppygal

Stanton, I wanted to point you to a video on YouTube of Cobalt courting behavior. In this case, it's actually quite funny, on the verge of hysterical. You'll enjoy ~

YouTube - &#x202a;cell phone 796&#x202c;&rlm;

Gees, I luvs my frogs....

kristi

Nationality
    [United States]

Talking Package arrived today!

LOL! Such a cute video! I can't wait to see similar behavior at my house.

The package frog Cheri arrived today! Everything looks fine. Here are some pictures of what she sent me:
    Name:  DSCN4019.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  DSCN4020.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  66.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN4023.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  81.3 KB

I am pretty sure everything got here fine. I got the 2 pieces of wood, the calcium powder, the digital thermometer/hygrometer, TONS of LECA, the gift cards, the substrate brick, and a nice little coconut hut (as well as some reciepts).

I can't wait to run to PETCO and get the 30 gallon tank!! This is going to be a great project!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys. I got back from PETCO with the 29g tank and lid. There was some questions about costs that are still being looked into. Hopefully we can get that cleared up.

Anyway, I have the tank and lid. Pictures tomorrow. Now I am going to need step-by-step instructions on what to add in what order.

I know that we have been talking about different background methods. I didn't know which one we were going to go with. I don't have a problem with clay, as long as it wont take much longer than foam. I am just wondering if we would be using cat litter or that benitite stuff (I know I spelled that wrong). My mom has agreed to run me to Lowe's tomorrow, so we can get started on all that tomorrow. I will get my camera ready. I guess after we get the substrate in, I can take pictures of how the wood can go in there.

The packages with the soil mix and culture items didn't arrive today. I am sure it will come tomorrow, though. I will definately post when that comes in.

Today was reall nice, it actually rained for the the first time in 33 days. We were in a really bad drought. It was actually under 90*F during parts of today. I love good weather.

Anyway, tomorrow is hopefully going to be a very exciting day! I really look foward to it!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Woohoo!!! Very exciting, I can't wait to see how your build goes!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

bshmerlie

Glad you got the tank. Let's put in the Leca and get an idea of how the wood is going to look in that size tank. How much background you have left above the hill will tell us which way to go...clay or greatstuff. Clay is actually quicker as it requires no dry time. Frogs can go in immediately. But if there is a lot of room above the wood then lets use the GS. You should get two more boxes tomorrow. Wet your brick of coco fiber....its going going to need to dry before we can use it on the background. Put that Texas heat to good use. So get those pictures of the wood in the tank so we can see where to go from here. Hopefully everyone gives us input.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys. Like I said earlier, I got the tank and lid last night.

Here are some pictures of the tank with the wood and LECA. I am going to be busy for the next, at least hour. Maybe this is enough to determine what kind of background we will be using? My mom is going to run me to Lowe's to get the supplies this morning.

This right here is progress! I can't wait to see this tank become a beautiful vivarium!!

Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information