Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting Started with Darts

Grrrit

Default Re: Getting Started with Darts

Sounds awesome! I'm exited to see as well!

And don't sound so tired about camping, I would love to go. But work is important I guess. 27 days straight I'm on. Whew 16 to go and I'll get one day off

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Guppygal (Kristi) is chomping at the bit waiting to stop by and help you finish it up. She's going to be bring some more plants, helping you with the landscaping and go over the whole fruit fly producing regimen. She will also of course be bringing the frog to this party. . I hope you enjoy your Cobalts as much as I enjoy mine. The more you observe them the more you will see that they too will have individual personalities. I want to see some pictures tomorrow night when said frog is bouncing around. Welcome to the dart side my young padawan.
    Funny how we all get excited even over someone elses project. I mean us readers, since Cheri, Kristi and MeTree are the active ingredients in this build and thread.
    Cobalts are so awesome and I can't wait to see the plants and landscape changes.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

guppygal

Tick tock, tick tock - which one will it be? They're both so fat n sassy n pretty, and ready for a new home.

By the way, whichever one that Stanton DOESN'T choose is still for sale
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow, they are beautiful. MeTree is one lucky new frog owner.

Nationality
    [United States]

They both look beautiful! How about the first one? I can't wait!

bshmerlie

So when are you guys doing this? The antisipation is killing me.

guppygal

An..ti..ci..pation.....sounds like an old song

I believe the due date is tomorrow around 3:00. We're looking forward to it. My mom used to live in a town not far from Livingston, but that's been at least 15yrs ago. I'm sure Livingston has changed drastically from the sleepy lil feedstore town to a bustling metropolis by now.

We have a care package almost ready to go. Stanton picked out the same frog that I picked for him, so this ought to be a match made in froggie heaven. I'm so tickled she's going to a good home. Now, if I can find a home for the other gal, she won't have to spend her days in a tank all alone <sniff>.

Hmmm, maybe I ought to bring my laptop and Skype you in...

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by guppygal

Hmmm, maybe I ought to bring my laptop and Skype you in...[/FONT]
    Id love to but im heading to the Big Bear Lake with my boat right about then, but I've got Stanton's number I can call when you show up. Just let me know the exact time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Who wouldn't want that beautful frog.
    If I were MeTree I would be mowing a lot of lawns fast to grab that one up too ;-)

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Who wouldn't want that beautful frog.
    If I were MeTree I would be mowing a lot of lawns fast to grab that one up too ;-)
    The problem is they are both girls. As soon as you introduce a male you would have a girl fight....not good. I've got a male lined up after the summer when it cools down. Stanton is going to have to be a little patient for a couple of months.

guppygal

Id love to but im heading to the Big Bear Lake with my boat right about then, but I've got Stanton's number I can call when you show up. Just let me know the exact time.
    Whoa, you got a boat, gerl? Fishing or other? Geez, I miss my boat...

Nationality
    [United States]

Well if you find the time while your up there stop by the Village Spa and Wellness Center for a massage, facial, or mani-pedi
    LOL
    I have to advertise it, my cousin owns it lol
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.1.0 Big Eyed Tree Frog's
    1.2.4 Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Azureus
    0.1.0 Mixed Breed Puppy <3
    Way too many fish

Nationality
    [United States]

Talking Re: Getting Started with Darts

I have a dart frog!!

Kristi and her husband came over afew hours ago. She is very sweet and she made she made sure that I had everything I needed. It was a really nice meeting. Thank you so much Kristi!

She has been happily exploring the tank. I will try to get some pictures up soon, but right now my internet is tied. I am so excited!!

bshmerlie

Im very excited for you Stanton. Im glad you like your frog. Aren't Cobalts amazing? Give her time to settle in and they are so much fun to watch. As soon as it cools down we'll get you a boy. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Thanks Kristi for all your help.

Cheri

guppygal

Stanton, it was such a genuine pleasure meeting you and your family. Your parents and siblings are wonderful, and we enjoyed our visit immensely.

As promised, here's the recipe for my fruitfly culture:

dry ingredients:
    8 cups plain potato flakes
    1 cup confectioner's sugar (or powdered sugar)
    1/2 cup brewer's yeast

liquid ingredients
    half vinegar, half water

measurement for a water bottle culture:
    1/4 cup dry mixture + 1/4 cup liquid

add excelsior - the wide stuff can be found at Hobby Lobby and it does go on sale sometimes -

If you prep extra cultures for later use, make sure you replace the bottle top so that wild fruitflies can't get in.

The plants I included are 1 bromeliad with a pup - remove the brom from the container, wash the dirt off the roots, and separate the pup as close to the original brom as possible; you can use the cat clay mixture to attach the broms to your background.

Also, you have several vine and fern cuttings: selagenella, ficus pumila, ficus pumila variegated, silver philodendron, and a small Anthurium. There is one cutting that does well in vivariums that's a reddish color, but I can't remember the name.

Bob says to remember to mist often so that the plants take root. Your new frog was accustomed to a pond and a humidifier, so she'll enjoy the misting as well. Don't forget to add a piece of fruit to keep the fruitflies in one place. As far as the substrate goes, you can add a layer of dried oak leaves - there are so many due to the drought. They'll break down quicker than the magnolia leaves but this is okay - it will enrich the substrate. I meant to bring out some springtails, but I forgot - maybe next time.

We dust our flies at every feeding, which may be contrary to what other hobbyists do. I've noticed that out of all the tadpoles we've had, we've never seen a case of SLS (spindly leg syndrome). It could be a coincidence, or there might be something to dusting every feeding. It's never hurt any of my frogs. Also, your new frog can eat pinhead crickets and the rule of thumb is that she can eat anything that is smaller than the distance between her eyes.

That's about all I can remember - if you think of anything else, let me know and I'll help.

cya!
    kristi and bob

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much for getting me the fruit fly recipe, Kristi!

Sorry for the disappearence and scare! I guess you could say I got...*cough*...grounded. LOL! I am back on now, and the dart frog is doing great! I am still trying to think of a name for her. She gobbled down so many fruit flies today, it was great! She has such a long, purple tounge!

I don't have a feeding video yet, but here is a video of her. She is doing well with over 80% consistant humidity.
    &#x202a;First Poison Dart Frog!&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube[/URL]

She has been so great! I love how bold she is becoming! She is quickly becoming more used to seeing me. It is so cute when she turns her head to stare at me!

guppygal

Uh, I guess mom told you I called, huh? I just wanted to make sure that your new Cobalt didn't make the 'great' escape and turn into frog jerky. If that ever happens, and I'm sure it won't, I still have the other gal to replace her.

Suggestion, shugar - go across the street and pull a bunch of those dried up oak leaves off the trees. Soak 'em or boil them in water, let 'em cool, then lay down a thick damp layer on your substrate. It will keep your frog clean and also provide a place for micro-fauna to grow. If you get any springtails, that's where they'll hang out.

If you want to hunt down your own springtails, you can try this - get a bag of Cowboy's All Natural Lump Charcoal 8.8lbs from Lowes and soak a few pieces in some dechlorinated water. After that, if you don't buy a culture, take the charcoal to the woods and place a couple of pieces under the leaves in moist area. Yeah, I know - it's a little hard to come by due to the drought. Check it after a few days and see if there are any signs of life. Springtails are tiny white critters and I meant to bring you a culture, darn it. Next time we're out, I'll give you a call and see if we can drop one off. You can always use several cultures of springtails.

Okay, here's how I use them, and there are other methods, so you pick what's easiest for you. I use a normal fruitfly culture cup with a tiny bit of water. Then, I pick up a piece of charcoal from the culture, turn it over, and use a spray water bottle to spritz the springtails into the cup. Once I get enough, I just dump the water and springtails onto the substrate. This will give your frog something to hunt between meals. Also, I feed my springs flake fish food, and they seem to thrive on it. Keep the cultures moist with about a 1/4" of water on the bottom of the container. Cover the container, but make sure they can breathe - poke some pin holes in the top. Don't let fruitflies get in, or the culture will die. I actually throw a towel over a couple of mine and they're producing very well. Apparently, they like dark places ~

One other thing - some of the cuttings I gave you are selagenella. If you keep them misted, they'll cover your background nicely.

Looks like you're on your way to being Dart Vader - yay! Holler if you need anything, okay?

kristi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information