Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started with Darts

Grrrit

Default Re: Getting Started with Darts

Looking good brother! Non toxic acrylic paint can be applied just as well instead of the silicon to hide the GS. I used that in a few of mine. Its going to look a little tacky, but I have to go back and cover some of the already done tanks from the outside.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Thank you guys all so much for the comments, imput, and suggestions! You have all helped me get into a hobby that seemed way too diffecult a month ago. I am really looking foward to getting some dart frogs jumping around the tank. This has been such a neat project.

Thank you SO MUCH Cheri for funding this project also! I never would have made it here without it, and I greatly appreciate it!

Here are some pictures of the pretty-much-finished vivarium. It looks very, very nice, though it may be a little bit hard to see from the pictures (I couldn't find my camera so I used a web-cam). It is my own piece of a beautiful tropical jungle.

bshmerlie

Ok im definately going to have to send you some more soil. Obviously didnt have enough to get the hillside look. We'll work on plants more when you get back from your trip. Something taller on the sides. Broms will be coming from Joshs maybe i'll get some others from there as well. Have fun on your trip and we'll talk plants when you get back. More soil and lights are on there way. Looks good Stanton...can't wait for the frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much Cheri! I really appreciate it!

guppygal

Very nice, Stanton, especially for your first vivarium. May I suggest about a half dozen more plants? Darts get a bit nervous if they don't have enuf places to hide. Lowes usually has a lot of terrarium/vivarium sized plants. Show 'em a pix of your new frog and they'll be like putty in your hands - you might be able to get the plants cheap. I've been able to pick up some spike moss, silver philodendron, bunches of already-flowered bromeliads and others. I'll put together a care package for you when we come to visit and deliver your frog.

Bromeliads are very popular with pdfs. I've seen mine tuck themselves between the leaves for the night. You can attach a bare-root brom to the background with silicone or anchor it with toothpicks. They're pretty forgiving. Also, if you have one of those big nursery stores nearby, check in the back for a big piece of dried bamboo. Cut some of it down to 4" - 6" inches and bury part of it in the substrate at an angle. My frogs love the bamboo hides.

One thing to remember about the plants. I love orchids and I would love to put one of those moth orchids in a vivarium, but the frogs think the broad leaves are a great place to poop. Not too pretty after awhile. If you ever locate a mini-oncidium, it might work out okay, tho they require a bit of air movement. I found several at Lowe's, and so far, so good.

One more thing about the plants, in case someone hasn't mentioned it before. You will want to clean them with water mixed with 5-10% bleach. It kills all the nasties that might be on the the plants. You'll always want to remove the plants from their original containers because of the fertilizer and other soil additives used by garden centers. We can't have our frogs ingesting anything that might not come out the other end....

Holler if I can help or if I need to clarify something, okay?

kristi

bshmerlie

I get most of my plants at Lowes too. Kristi would you be willing to make a plant package for him? Ill of course compensate you for them. I'll have Joshs send some broms for the back wall. Anything else you can think of? When you drop off the frog maybe you could help him with plant layout. I'd appreciate it.

guppygal

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I get most of my plants at Lowes too. Kristi would you be willing to make a plant package for him? Ill of course compensate you for them. I'll have Joshs send some broms for the back wall. Anything else you can think of? When you drop off the frog maybe you could help him with plant layout. I'd appreciate it.
    You betcha!! We'll get him fixed up. We went to the Repticon this past Saturday and added to our already over-stocked supply of frog-related stuff, so no problem there at all. I like to go to those things because I get to hold the BIG snakes. Can't have one, tho - hubby's motto is 'wife bring home little snake, lose large husband'. Oh well, at least I have my priorities somewhat in order.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guppygal View Post
    You betcha!! We'll get him fixed up. We went to the Repticon this past Saturday and added to our already over-stocked supply of frog-related stuff, so no problem there at all. I like to go to those things because I get to hold the BIG snakes. Can't have one, tho - hubby's motto is 'wife bring home little snake, lose large husband'. Oh well, at least I have my priorities somewhat in order.
    What a nice viv. Will be some luck frogs going into there. Will be pretty sweet with some Bromeliads coming off the background. Well done.

As for the BIG snakes.... oh yeah, I'm with you there. Can't have them where I currently live, but a lemon Ball is on my list for someday.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Firebelly love

This is a really cool project!! Can't wait for even more updates!!

Leefrogs

Where have I been! Congratulations!! Building is fun and messy. The dartside, I've got FF going, and on the brink myself. Maybe some tinks on monday, and Brazilian yellow head and some bicolor (maybe next month)

But I have a total of 9 tanks going now. One might be for a blue cobalt tarrantula. (maybe today)

bshmerlie

"Once you cross over to the Dart side forever will it dominate your destiny".

YODA (well sort of)

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys! Just got back from my long week of camp. Now things will slow down for the rest of the day...actually, not really. I am going to leave for an even longer camp in Oklahoma tomorrow at 6 in the morning. I am *so* tired. Oh well. Glad to be back.

Nothing arrived while I was gone. I can work on what I need to when I get back from the next camp. Other than the dirt and lights, I think it is at a functional level, although I certainly wouldn't mind afew more plants (thank you Cheri! ).

The water level in the LECA has dropped almost all the way. Do I need to refill it before I leave again?

I will be pretty busy putting together fish food baggies with labeled instructions for my mom or sister. I also have to run to the LFS to get crickets because while I was gone there was a colony crash. But I will definately try to be on here afew more times today. It is nice to be back for a little while.

p.s. my personal favorite BIG snake is an albino burmese python LOL. My father wont let me get a snake, though, even a small corn.

p.s.s. congrats Leefrogs on finding a Cobalt T (assuming you did)! I love those Ts. Taranchulas are another pet my parents won't let me keep.

Grrrit

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    Where have I been! Congratulations!! Building is fun and messy. The dartside, I've got FF going, and on the brink myself. Maybe some tinks on monday, and Brazilian yellow head and some bicolor (maybe next month)

But I have a total of 9 tanks going now. One might be for a blue cobalt tarrantula. (maybe today)
    Tincs monday!? What kind?

I dig those yellowhead's. And I really like the mini bicolors, p. vaillanti. They look jusy like then but more slender bodied and 1/2 - 3/4 the size.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post

The water level in the LECA has dropped almost all the way. Do I need to refill it before I leave again?

I would give your tank a very good watering before you leave. You don't want it drying out. Depending how long your gone you might want to get someone to water at least once while you are gone. Do you have the tank cover well to minimize the loss of water due to evaporation?
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

kRiBBiTd

The viv is looking great! Hope you enjoy your visit to my state

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, I certainly will give it a watering. Thanks Mike!

I went to Oklahoma last year for scout summer camp, although I was one of only a couple scouts that could go. Many scouts from my troop are going for the first time this week. I love Oklahoma, it is Ok!

kRiBBiTd

Lol thanks! I'm pretty proud of my state!

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm off. See you guys next week!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey guys, I am back from another exausting week of camp. Thankfully it is the last week. It has been great, but I am so glad to be home again.

I recieved the 2 packages with the light fixtures and more substrate and everything else I was supposed to get. Thank you Cheri!

I'll be online again tomorrow, or maybe even tonight. It's good to be back.

bshmerlie

Guppygal (Kristi) is chomping at the bit waiting to stop by and help you finish it up. She's going to be bring some more plants, helping you with the landscaping and go over the whole fruit fly producing regimen. She will also of course be bringing the frog to this party. . I hope you enjoy your Cobalts as much as I enjoy mine. The more you observe them the more you will see that they too will have individual personalities. I want to see some pictures tomorrow night when said frog is bouncing around. Welcome to the dart side my young padawan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information