Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Leopard Frog stopped eating!

kymillers

Default Northern Leopard Frog stopped eating!

My daughter has two N. Leopard frogs, raised from mail order tadpoles. The bigger of the two morphed about 6 months ago and has been eating dusted crickets very happily until about 18 days ago. We moved him into a new tank so that the newly-morphed smaller frog could have the smaller tank. I expected him to be stressed by the move, and took great pains to set it up exactly like his old tank, but he just hides in his coconut and will not even go into the water. His previous routine was to hide during the day, and out prowling and swimming all night. He completely ignores his crickets, even when they crawl over his head. I have tried meal worms and well with no luck. I have been using a turkey baster to keep his skin moist, but don't know what else to do for him. The only real difference in the two tanks is that the small one had a full hood with a flourescent bulb, and the new one has a screen cover. At first I had an incandescent bulb in a clamp lamp on him about 13 hours a day; I changed it to a UVB bulb as soon as I could get to town to get one. I keep part of the screen covered with a towel, and mist his tank frequently. The temp is about 75-76 degress during the day and drops to about 72 at night. He has plenty of moss to burrow in, and that's what he does; stays burrowed and will NOT eat. I am sure he is not eating or getting into the water, even at night, since I keep an accurate cricket count and the water is obviously not fouled (no moss or stool at all to clean up). He would take crickets from tweezers before, but not now. He used to sing at nigt (woke me up reguarly at 4 am!) and would answer my alarm clock, but he has been totally silent since his move. He looks fine - his eyes are bright and his skin looks nice with no obvious wounds or problems. He just won't move or eat! How much longer can he go without food? I'm worried he is dehydrated; should I force him into the water? I really don't want to lose this guy - he's such a nice frog. The new little guy is doing very well and eating like a horse. Any help is appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Northern Leopard Frog stopped eating!

if the temperature has dropped recently he could be attempting to hibernate i think but it could also be the water. if the waters hardness/ other compounds in the water have changed rapidly it could have shocked him.

kymillers

Nope, no difference in the water at all; we've used bottled Spring water from the beginning. We do a 1/3 water change 2 or maybe 3 times a week. The other tank measures about the same temperature as the one he's in now, so I don't think that's it either. The light issue is the only real difference, other than the more open top (screen versus full hood).

It's odd that he appears to be so healthy and bright eyed, but yet will not eat. I did notice a little while ago when I was misting him that his color is more brown today than his usual nice green. He also "jerked" a little bit when I misted him, and he usually doesn't move at all.

I'm sure worried about the little guy! Thanks for your reply.

Nationality
    [United States]

Maybe he misses his buddy

kymillers

They have not been together since they were tadpoles. The bigger frog morphed in about 8 weeks, but the second tad took over 8 months! I didn't think she was ever going to become a frog!

Hopper is about 2" long now - he ate so well and grew so fast! The newly-morphed frog is only about 3/4" long. I'm afraid he might decide to start eating again if I put them together - and eat her!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    Maybe he misses his buddy
    Frogs are not social animals - they do not miss each other or care for each other's company. The only times they willingly come into contact are at breeding time and if they happen to be sharing a favourable refuge.

Regarding Ky's problem, I think the frog is just stressed by the change in environment (that lid versus light "sky" is a big deal). Many classic Ranids are nervous and finicky. I think this is what you're encountering. Give the frog time. If he definitely doesn't eat then you may need to consider a vet visit - the stress may have caused him to become sick.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry i wasn't serious this is a thread that helps find good vets

http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...list-vets.html

kymillers

It's already been more than 18 days - how long can he safely go without eating before he starves? I'm trying desperately to find a full hood for his tank, but no luck so far. I'll keep trying. (This is turning into quite an expensive endeavor for two little tadpoles!) I appreciate all your help!

Oh, and Tom, I did pick up on the humor.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well i hope you enjoy the forum and expand on the hobby And that your N Leopard Frog will be better

coltiger

It sounds like he is going into hibernate mode. I had green frogs that were active and singing then suddenly became silent and inactive.

My experience with northern Leopards is limited but I did find they didnt like the water as much as my green frogs. They did prefer cover and were alittle skittish.

I hope your frog stays in good health

Nationality
    [United States]

I thought that they hibernated in water though

kymillers

No, I'm pretty sure they burrow to hibernate, and only when the temps are consistently dropping (ours are steady). We keep the lights on them the same number of hours daily, although we do have the blinds raised in the room during the day/evening. They are not very close to the window, but are in view of it.

Can ANYONE tell me how long he can go without eating before he starves?

Nationality
    [United States]

It matters how much he ate last time he did, his overall health, how much he has moved. But i believe he could almost last over a month.

Kurt

Well, I have a greater hatchet-faced treefrog that I bought back in April and it only started eating in August. I thought for sure that it would've starved long before August came around.

Nationality
    [United States]

Wow now i am not so worried about my Malaysian Leaf frog.

kymillers

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Well, I have a greater hatchet-faced treefrog that I bought back in April and it only started eating in August. I thought for sure that it would've starved long before August came around.
    Wow! I wonder if our little guy will last as long. He's not green anymore; his color is now a dull brown, although he is still green in his "crevices" such as the bends of his legs and under the edge of his belly. He still doesn't really look thin, but he's not as plump as he was. I've been "basting" him 3x a day with spring water from his tank, and keeping his spagnum moss moist. I just booted him into the water, and he's still there. That should help him stay hydrated. Before that I tried to feed him a wiggling cricket by tweezers again; again not interested.

He has his old background covering the back, and black construction paper on both ends, and half the front of the tank covered in vines. The screen top is also half-covered with a towel. I'm about to drive 100 miles roundtrip to the nearest pet store and get him a full hood for his tank. It's the absolute last thing I know to do to try to make him feel safe and secure enough in his now month-old home that he might start eating and singing again.

(He's beginning to make me mad! Can you tell?)

Nationality
    [United States]

ouch 100 miles. mines like 3 miles round trip. Well i hope that helps

Kurt

Is there any skin sloughing? In other words, if you handle him do bits of skin come off in your hand?

kymillers

Well, I don't really handle him - I know it's not good for him. I use the end of the baster and gently nudge him on the rear and he'll usually move away. I don't see any evidence of any skin sloughing - I'll go check.

Nope, nothing. He still looks healthy and bright eyed, except for his coloring no longer being bright green all over as he was before. Also, his respiration seems a little bit elevated, but that might be my imagination.

Kurt

Ok I think I have ruled out chytridiomycosis. My next thought is we may be dealing with a respiratory infection. In this exam you will need to pick the frog up, put it to your ear, and listen. Do this in a quiet room. What you don't want to hear is crackling when it breaths. Crackling indicates a respiratory infection and the animal needs to be put on antibiotics immediately if you hear it. Which means a trip to the vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information