Thread: Lighting and heating Questions

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Lighting and heating Questions

I'm working on getting supplies for building my viv in my hex tank. I'm stumped with lighting and heating though.

I will have many live plants, so I will need a UV light to help keep them healthy right? What will work best (without costing a fortune)? I also would like a nocturnal light, I want to see what they're up to when it is dark out! What will work for that?

Now for heating, with a longer tank, it is easy to heat half of it, with the cool side having the water in it...how do I heat half of it when it's a tall narrow tank (35 gal hex tank) ??

Thanks guys!!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DogRetepCow

Default Re: Lighting and heating Questions

I'm a beginner with frogs and I don't know about plant lights requirements. I keep fake plants in my Green Tree Frog's terrarium. As for the night lights, I had the same question and I remember people saying that a low wattage red or blue light would be best if you don't need additional heat:
    <A href="http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-terrarium-enclosure-discussion/8220-question-about-bulbs-night-time.html" target=_blank>http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ight-time.html

I might be trying a low watt red or blue bulb, as I too would like to be able to view my frog at night, but I don't want to make his cage too hot at night. I need to do more research but I think some have said that one color of the lightbulb is better for a frog's vison, than the other... Mabye some of the more experienced posters can provide some insight (I'd be learning too).

Sorry I can't help with the other questions-I'm new to frog keeping too, and you're definately ahead of me-I haven't even considered keeping live plants

Tony

Plants do not need UV, a standard fluorescent will do the trick. Look for one with a color temperature of 6500K (typically labeled as "Daylight"), those give the best quality light for viewing and plant growth.

As Pete said, a low wattage blue or red light will work for night viewing.

There should be no need for supplemental heat, if they can survive the cold temperatures outside they will have no trouble with room temperatures inside.

clownonfire

Amy,

Here's an older thread with lots of relevant info on lighting: http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...art-frogs.html

Eric

Thread Information