Thread: Question about humidity

DogRetepCow

Default Question about humidity

All right, here me out on this one- this question will probably make everyone roll their eyes, but bear with me: I've read that American Green Tree frogs need no less than 65% humidity. With other frogs I read about it says they need 50%, 70%, whatever.... But what does that exactly mean? How does one measure the percentage of humidity? I mist my American Green Tree frogs' cage thouroughly at least three times a day, including mornings and evenings. Is that enough? I just don't understand what it means to put a percentage on humidity and how that translates into misting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Question about humidity

Relative humidity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tool used to measure relative humidity is called a hygrometer. Don't bother with the ones sold at the pet shop, they are typically inaccurate and in my opinion present a greater danger than any help they may provide because of the false readings. Digital hygrometers are usually better, but they can be expensive, especially as a collection grows. I just eyeball humidity values based on frog behavior, plant growth, and visual cues like condensation on the glass. Trying to hit the "magic number" on a hygrometer is a pointless exercise in frustration.

clownonfire

Tony, you were busy last night...

What Tony says is right. Basically, everything you will find at a pet supplier store will cost more, and might not even be the best products (thermometer, hygrometer, lights, etc). Try your hardware store... You'll find equivalent products for much less.

Eric

DogRetepCow

Thanks for the responses. Is it crucial to own a hygrometer, or will I be ok just with misting the cage regulary?

DogRetepCow

Huh. So I just read a post on this messagboard that said if you have a screen lid, then you should cover 2/3rds of it with glass to prevent humidity from escaping. Is that true? I have a screen lid, but it's small, as the tops of the zoo med naturalistic terrariums are small. And I have a good portion already covered with a hood: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3756450

I use that hood to hold a bulb for UVB lighting on my American Green Tree frog, and it takes up a good portion of space on my screen lid. I know many people, including John Clare say that frogs don't need any UVB lighting, but I have also read several reports from people saying that it is beneficial to frogs, provides calcium for their bones, and can't hurt. I want what is best for my frog, so I am using UVB lighting. I currently am not using any heating, as the house temperature is good for now. However, when it gets colder I may have to put another hood on the lid for heating. Then the whole screen lid will be covered with two hoods for UVB light and heat. I guess that would trap the humidity inside the cage, but then the whole lid would be covered- Wouldn't that block out my frog's ventilation and kill it? If I need extra heat than do I just have to take away the UVB bulb and put in a heat bulb, in order to only use one hood on the lid? And what about putting glass on the lid-is that true or what? I've been all panicky ever since I got this frog. Frogs are complicated.

Tony

Your setup should be fine the way it is. Humidity is one of those things people tend to over-think, most species of tree frogs can thrive in a pretty wide range. Proper ventilation is much more important than hitting a specific number on a hygrometer.

DogRetepCow

Thank you! I just have one more question, not related to humidity, but to ventilation: If I have two hoods on my lid (for UVB and heat), it would cover the entire lid-wouldn't that completely block out the frog's air coming through the lid? It seems to me if I need heat I should just keep one hood on and use heat instead of UVB.

Tony

How cold does it get during the winter?

DogRetepCow

Well, I just moved from out of state to Boston, (well, Needham-its right by Boston)-so I haven't personally experienced winters yet, but I hear it can get as cold as 3 degrees F. So anywhere from about 32 degrees F. to down in the single digits in the winter.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by DogRetepCow View Post
    Well, I just moved from out of state to Boston, (well, Needham-its right by Boston)-so I haven't personally experienced winters yet, but I hear it can get as cold as 3 degrees F. So anywhere from about 32 degrees F. to down in the single digits in the winter.
    Are you keeping the frog outside?

DogRetepCow

No, I keep the frog in my bedroom.

Thread Information