Thread: Gray Tree Frog

CamLemieux

Default Gray Tree Frog

I caught a wild gray tree frog and I've heard of people have them and catching them to keep.
    I just have two questions about this:
    1) Is there anyway to disinfect them, like take any sort of virus/bacteria/parasite it had with it when it was wild? (like the water it was near had something bad in it)
    2) Does't it seem fair? You take a wild frog out of his natural, large environment and you stick him in a 12x12x18 terrarium? (does that seem like a good size)

This is a very urgent question.
    Last edited by CamLemieux; June 13th, 2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Important, debating if I should let him go or not

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog

Urgent as it may be, I'd wait to hear from one of the more experienced members. However I am pretty sure that generally keeping wild caught animals of any species is not the best idea. Not just because they may carry bacteria/diseases, but because the frog is not used to having boundaries, or any of the other aspects of caged life, so it may not react well to being in confinement.

In my area of the country the only things that are present the opportunity to be caught are standard American toads, or the occasional bullfrog. I'll usually catch them put them in a temporary viv, snap some pictures and throw in a few crickets, then let them go. The longest I have ever had a captive animal was a week or so (bullfrog) and it wanted no parts of it. I kept him until I could take him far away from my house as he kept jumping in the pool, and I'm thinking chlorine is no bueno for frogs.

Hope this helps.

Tony

The vast majority of gray tree frogs, and other North American Hylids, in the hobby are wild caught and typically adjust well to captivity. I prefer to give as much space as possible but a 12x12x18 should be adequate, bigger is better if you are able.

There are several medications available to treat parasite infestation and bacterial infection, but they should be used under veterinary guidance. Since you collected the frog locally it has been spared the stress of passing through the hands of collectors, wholesalers, dealers, and shops. That reduction in stress will likely speed up the acclimation process and you may not need to medicate. Observe the frog to see if it is eating and defecating regularly, maintaining body weight and acting normally. If you have any concerns you should consult a vet, typically the first test to be done is a fecal exam and medication for the parasites found if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The vast majority of gray tree frogs, and other North American Hylids, in the hobby are wild caught and typically adjust well to captivity. I prefer to give as much space as possible but a 12x12x18 should be adequate, bigger is better if you are able.

There are several medications available to treat parasite infestation and bacterial infection, but they should be used under veterinary guidance. Since you collected the frog locally it has been spared the stress of passing through the hands of collectors, wholesalers, dealers, and shops. That reduction in stress will likely speed up the acclimation process and you may not need to medicate. Observe the frog to see if it is eating and defecating regularly, maintaining body weight and acting normally. If you have any concerns you should consult a vet, typically the first test to be done is a fecal exam and medication for the parasites found if necessary.

I had no idea! obviously. Good luck with your frog!

CamLemieux

Thanks guys!
    So it's okay to keep him even though he's wild.

Update.
    I got him Saturday, and he hasn't eaten yet I gave him small cricks and small meal worms and he wouldn't budge.
    Is he just getting used to where he is?

night crawler

hey! hows your frog doing? has he started eating yet? It is normal for them to take some time to get used to the new environment...a fews days to a week to start eating. Just let it be, make sure not to stress her out if at all possible. They start off very timid but after a little while they'll start to notice who it is that gives out all the tasty crickets and take quite a liking to you.
    Feel free to ask any other questions you may have

-Kevin

Thread Information