Thread: My White's Tree Frog died :(

brnbear

Default My White's Tree Frog died :(

I have had two whites for about 8 months or so. The one just died today. A couple of days ago little green spots appeared on her head. I didn't think anything of it. Today I saw her just lying there and I thought it was weird so I picked her up. And she is dead. Does anyone have any idea what may have happened? And do I need to do anything to ensure the other one will stay healthy? I'm really sad

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My White's Tree Frog died :(

Could you have a vet look at her to make sure it was nothing contagious?

So sorry for your loss That is terrible
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

brnbear

I already buried her, plus I don't even know where a vet around here is that would deal with exotic species :/ My mom asked me if I think I should get another one. I don't know if I should? Any suggestions? I guess I probably should just keep the one by himself for a little to make sure that he isn't sick too...

novawuff

I would def. wait to find out more about what happened before you throw another frog in there.
    If things were fine for 8 months and then he suddenly died, is there anything you can think of that might have changed?

brnbear

I did change one thing...I got a new bowl for their water. The one that I had before was too small and the water in it would evaporate within an hour so I bought a bigger one. Today the water in it had been looking rather dirty...I hadn't cleaned it since I changed the water bowl (a week ago). Maybe that was the problem...the other bowl always evaporated so I would bring it out and clean it and put fresh water in, and this one I didn't have to do the same so maybe bacteria grew in it and infected my frog. Does that seem plausible? And as far as getting another frog goes, I was probably going to go down to the pet store sometime this week and get another one and put him in my 10 gal tank and isolate him so I can watch him and make sure he is healthy for a couple of weeks. Would my current frog (about the size of my thumb when fully stretched) be able to eat a smaller frog? (say the size of my thumb from the first joint to the tip).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You should be quarantining a new one for 30 days anyways to make sure it is healthy before introducing it to the new one. Also, you should be changing the water daily to avoid problems if you don't have a filter system. I would personally do research to try to figure out what the other frog died from. If your next frog passes too, I would definitely do a total clean out of your current tank. Have you looked into fungal infections?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

brnbear

I looked up a list of common illnesses among whites tree frogs and I think that it was a fungal infection. If that is the case what is the next step I should take to make sure my other frog doesn't get sick, and what may I have done wrong?

Dizzl

Quote Originally Posted by brnbear View Post
    I looked up a list of common illnesses among whites tree frogs and I think that it was a fungal infection. If that is the case what is the next step I should take to make sure my other frog doesn't get sick, and what may I have done wrong?
    I personally would take out your other frog and put it on quarantine by it's self. And tear apart your tank and trow out any thing that can not be cleaned with bleach, any wood I would soak in a bleach water solution for a few hours then bake it at 200* F for an hour or two. And clean the tank its self with the water bleach solution. And call every vet in town and elsewhere and tell them what happened to your other frog and get the one you still have looked at. Make sure you ask if they have a vet that knows about frogs. Sorry for your loss and good luck.

Thread Information