Thread: Hello from Ohio!

LisaG

Smile Hello from Ohio!

After hearing the strangest chirping around our house for the last week or so, I finally found the source: A Gray Tree Frog! I was able to catch it and was wondering if it was a good idea to make it a pet. I was able to set up a temporary home in an aquarium with some soil, bark pieces for climbing and a water bowl. Any thoughts as to whether it would be a good idea to make more a permanent home? I would appreciate input!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello from Ohio!

They make cute and interesting pets, and they can become reasonably tame. It's really up to you. They tend to be very common where they are found so don't feel bad keeping one as a pet, provided it is legal to collect them where you live. You can learn more about keeping them here:

FrogForum.net - Gray Tree Frog Care
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

LisaG

Thank you John for your quick response. I will check into the legal aspect. He is pretty cute and my children are eager to make his accommodations permanent. It will likely be a question of whether my husband finds him equally lovable and also whether we are able to give him an ideal habitat. I would not think it fair to keep him unless we can provide him with the best home possible. LisaG (PS - This is a wonderful website and a terrific resource!)

Kurt

Welcome aboard. Grays make awesome captives, I used have a pair and reluctantly gave them away. I have regretted that ever since.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Lisa, thanks for the compliments.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information