Thread: Heat waves and frogs

clownonfire

Default Heat waves and frogs

Well, for some of us, Summer is here. And with Summer comes heat. Some of our frogs will handle heat better. Some others, less. I'm think Phyllobates terribilis, a good number of Mantellidae... And much more.

By this time, I'm hoping most of you have removed your heat pads. I'm reminded here of an article by Cheri. But that still might not be enough to fight against heat, and extreme heat during very hot days. Here's what I do.

In some of my tanks, I use jerry-rigged computer fans. Basically, a fan spliced and attached to a power cord. It's very easy to do, as long as you get the same voltage for both the power cord and the computer fan:

1. Cut the two computer wires (usually one red and one black).
    2. Cut your power cord and split the two wires.
    3. Connect one of the power cord wires to one of the computer wires.
    4. Repeat for the other wire
    5. Use electrical tape to make sure all wires are secured together (see picture 1).

And there you have it, your air circulation/air cooling tank device.

Now. because I keep frogs who need high humidity, my enclosures have hand-made covers. I have a screen mesh, and I have custom-fit acrylic tops over the mesh.

1. The screen mesh will help the tank get some air circulation, and prevent the feeders from getting out.
    2. The acrylic will help keep the humidity in. It's always cut so that it leaves 2-3 inches of uncovered screen mesh (see picture 2)

This is obviously my technique, and it works for me, but I like to keep the computer fan outside of the tank. I know some that drill the computer fan to the glass of the vivarium. I don't have that talent.

I personally keep the computer fan lying on the screen mesh, and cover all possible exits with loose pieces of acrylic. The idea is to let the air circulate in your tank, and not exit the tank, which will decrease the humidity (see picture 3). This took me a while to understand, and I must thank Corey for the explanation: the vacuum effect created by air flowing in and exiting will take the humidity with it. So make sure you cover well any exiting space when using a fan.

Also, because you will be blocking all other airways, if you keep your lights on, you will basically be letting energy in which will create a small green house effect. So during really hot days, don't hesitate to turn your lights off. They are mostly for your plants, and for their growth. See it as a cloudy day. Your plants will survive.

In a nutshell:

1. Make sure you know the temperature comfort zone of your frog.
    2. Remove all heat pads/heating lamps.
    3. Promote air circulation using a computer fan, or any other device that works for you.
    4. Keep track of the humidity and the temperature of your tanks using digital thermometers and hydrometers.
    5. Sleep well.

I encourage you to share your air cooling techniques on this thread, and help save a few frogs!

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heat waves and frogs

Great information Eric. Besides helping with temps, the air circulation is great for your plants.

I presently have a similar top with glass over the screen so I can change the size of available screen openning at the top.
    I have the air conditioner in my room set to push air towards the vivs. This air flows across the glass top to allow some air to enter the viv through the open screen area. So far so good ,with temps staying around 75 degrees for the Darts. Night time temps drop to about 71 - 72.

Humidity hasn't been an issue as I thought it would be with the air conditioner and knock on frogs, I hope it stays that way.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

bshmerlie

Last summer I moved my light cycle to 3am to 12 noon. That way my lights would shut offbefore the day got too hot.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thats a good idea Cheri. I should change the timers... wonder if the lights coming on when I am sleeping will wake me up. hmmmmm

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Last summer I moved my light cycle to 3am to 12 noon. That way my lights would shut offbefore the day got too hot.
    I like the idea, but having mostly diurnal frogs, wouldn't the light cycle starting at 3am mess with their natural sleep/awake cycle?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Turning on the A/C made for a huge humidity drop for me! So I put glad press and seal on the top of the screen leaving just an opening around her lamp. That seems to have made a huge improvement.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Baelari

I would worry about the press and seal melting with the heat lamp, but I haven't tested how hot the lamp gets. I'm using foil until I can get a nice looking piece of glass.

WalyLama

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    I like the idea, but having mostly diurnal frogs, wouldn't the light cycle starting at 3am mess with their natural sleep/awake cycle?
    You can cange their sleep pattern just like you can change yours. The natural cycle is altered unless your light moves and sets with the sun. The plants are in tune with moon cycle more than anything so you run the risk of sending them into a premature flowerng even hermaphradidic sex changes. I know little about keeping darts so that might kill them from what I read. If you are gunna change the light do it over a weeks time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Turning on the A/C made for a huge humidity drop for me! So I put glad press and seal on the top of the screen leaving just an opening around her lamp. That seems to have made a huge improvement.

Yep, an all screen top won't help retain humidity so covering 2/3 of the top will help keep the humidity up on a tree frog tank. Darts on the other hand usually have almost all the top covered and humidity above 90 percent all the time.

The Glad Press & Seal will create the same results. Just what I will be doing on my Crested Gecko's Screen fronts (which will be poor for the view).

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by WalyLama View Post
    You can cange their sleep pattern just like you can change yours. The natural cycle is altered unless your light moves and sets with the sun. The plants are in tune with moon cycle more than anything so you run the risk of sending them into a premature flowerng even hermaphradidic sex changes. I know little about keeping darts so that might kill them from what I read. If you are gunna change the light do it over a weeks time.
    Yes start changing the light setting over a 2-3 week span. Hmmm....I didn't notice any sex changes going on with my plants, but you never know. My room is also completely dark so they (frogs or plants) cant tell when its light outside. And no they are not in my bedroom. I did it last year starting in July and went through September. Even with only 9 hours of light it didn't have any drastic effect on my plants and the frogs didn't seem affected at all. Then I slowly changed it back when the temps cooled down. It just saves a little bit off of the electricity bill when I'm trying to keep the house cool. I can leave the house thermostat just a few degrees higher and it helps. I am also in an area that really cools off at night so when I get home at 6:00pm I can open up all the windows of the house and it really cool off.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baelari View Post
    I would worry about the press and seal melting with the heat lamp, but I haven't tested how hot the lamp gets. I'm using foil until I can get a nice looking piece of glass.
    I have it open about an inch around the edges of the lamp so nothing is touching. No problems at all with it, the plastic isn't even warm when I touch it.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

clownonfire

Today, we had temperature that reached 34°C (93.2°F), and this:

Computer fans were at full throttle. And mistings were made more frequent. I personally was circling my vivs like a mad man (my neurotic levels were in the Woody Allen spheres).

Eric

bshmerlie

This is when everyone needs to leave the AC on at home while they go to work. Frogs love high electric bills. This is also why I'm switching over to LED lights. I know it will only knock off 3-5 degrees but if I can leave my home AC set at a higher temp hopefully I won't have to have such a huge electric bill this summer. Every degree counts.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Today, we had temperature that reached 34°C (93.2°F)
    It does not get that warm in Canada, all your igloos would melt if it did.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It does not get that warm in Canada, all your igloos would melt if it did.
    Hence why I'm having issues with the frogs; they can't swim.

bshmerlie

Its global warming melting the glaciers.

Nationality
    [United States]

i am here in texas and we are already topping out in the 100+ so my ac in the frogroom is working overtime just keeping the room around 80 degrees going to add more insulation this weekend my frogroom is in a small 10'x10' room i built in my garage

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

We had a heatwave here as well today and yesterday. It's not like your crazy temperatures, but we live in an apartment that easily warms up, because it's directly under a tinroof. So our snakes terrarium where about 27C where it's supposed to be 22-24C. So I had to make some adjustment to the setup:

Placing 2 bottles of cool water in the tank, with a towel wrapped around it (creating a local cooling place, like a reverese basketing spot). This morning, I took them out to replace the now lukewarm water with new, cool water. When I unwrapped the towel, this is what I found:

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/4d...a_IMG_3245.JPG

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/4d...a_IMG_3246.JPG

Seems like I am not the only one hating hot weather...

Thread Information