Thread: Springtails??

Dizzl

Default Springtails??

So, since I joined this forum I see a lot of posts talking about spring tails. So I have a few questions. First what exactly are springtails? What are the benefits to adding them to my terrarium? And what do they do exactly? I think I have read that they help with the break down of the things and process them for the plants to utilize!? And that they eat mold!? If that is right where do I find some and how many do I need? Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Springtails??

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzl View Post
    So, since I joined this forum I see a lot of posts talking about spring tails. So I have a few questions. First what exactly are springtails? What are the benefits to adding them to my terrarium? And what do they do exactly? I think I have read that they help with the break down of the things and process them for the plants to utilize!? And that they eat mold!? If that is right where do I find some and how many do I need? Thanks!!
    Springtails are you enclosure's best friend.

Basically, they are a microfauna that will live and breed in the substrate. They indeed will help you clean out your tank by feeding on dead fecal matters, and leaves, and dead feeders, but will also be part of the diet of smaller frogs, like thumbnail frogs and some dart frogs (not exclusively). They are fairly inexpensive, and are easy to keep and breed.

Eric

dtfleming

Tiny insects basically, and there are different kinds. Tropical and temperate. Very easy to culture and make great food for frogs. What kind of terrarium would they be going into? Dart Frogs? yes they will help clean some, but isopods would be better cleaners for your terrarium.

Dizzl

Cool thanks! Any Ideas on where to buy them? I'm going to do a search right now to see if I can find some.

clownonfire

Contact Josh's Frogs. Or Black Jungle Terrarium supply. They are quite easy to find. Some breeders on this board usually sell some too.

Eric

Dizzl

Quote Originally Posted by dtfleming View Post
    Tiny insects basically, and there are different kinds. Tropical and temperate. Very easy to culture and make great food for frogs. What kind of terrarium would they be going into? Dart Frogs? yes they will help clean some, but isopods would be better cleaners for your terrarium.
    They would be used for my american green tree frog terrarium. About 50/50.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tropicok

Definitely get some springtails. I keep mine in a plastic shoebox with holes in the lid. One side has the charcoal they came in and the other side has coco fiber, both moistened but not dripping. There are thousands now from the first batch I ordered and I just put a handful of the cocofiber in a tank substrate from time to time. Mist every so often and I feed rice and/or yeast flakes.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm new and getting around to reading older posts... let me get this straight, springtails eat frog poo??? So are these the same springtails I've been fighting in my African violets? I am a small hobbiest and raise AV's in the house; I propagate by leaf cutting and these darn springtails like to nibble up the newly sprouted plantlings-- grr! It's being said here that springtails are beneficial in a planted viv, but I known they nibble not only baby plants but roots too I believe? I guess if I want them introduced to a future viv/live planted terrarium set up all I need to do is add a pot or two of my African violets... lol? Now if I want to get RID of them in my AV's, however, what is that isopod that was mentioned? Does it eat springtails? I don't want anything else eating my African violets! D:

Default Springtails??

I don't think you have springs eating your violets. I keep violets and prop them in tanks loaded with springs and never have an issue.

No, Isopods do not eat springtails, they eat detritus, like springs do.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri