Thread: Over-dusting crickets?

yates

Default Over-dusting crickets?

I just purchased 2 red-spotted toads and picked up a dozen crickets for their next feeding in about 2 days.

I applied some of the vitamin dust to the crickets but more of it came out than i had anticipated. The crickets are all white now. I am wondering if this is too much dust? Will they eat some of it in the time until the next feeding? Is this much dust harmful to toads if they eat a white cricket? There was no exact amount specified in the instructions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Over-dusting crickets?

My reptocal says to coat them in dust completely. BUT my tree frog absolutely hated when I did that. So now I just dip them in it and get a little on them. I would think it's okay if the reptocal says to coat them though.

Sierra

I do them completely, but if you put the dust in a plastic baggy, its easier to control how much you put on them, that way you can put how much you want into the bag, and then shake and bake them! Hope that helps!

DogRetepCow

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    I do them completely, but if you put the dust in a plastic baggy, its easier to control how much you put on them, that way you can put how much you want into the bag, and then shake and bake them! Hope that helps!
    This is what I do with my American Green Tree frog-put the calcium dust in a plastic bag, put the crickets in it and shake. I usually try to coat the crickets completely and my frog doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Mattdw18

They are supposed to be completely white

Nationality
    [United States]

I actually get a more aggressive feeding response with completely dusted insects, maybe because they stand out more against the coco fiber?
    Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

JMDaniels

Quote Originally Posted by DogRetepCow View Post
    This is what I do with my American Green Tree frog-put the calcium dust in a plastic bag, put the crickets in it and shake. I usually try to coat the crickets completely and my frog doesn't seem to have a problem with that.
    Yep, I too am a fan of the plastic baggie method! It allows you to dust with as much powder as you want. The crickets should be fully covered but with a thin layer. Kudos.

deeishealthy

I bought a tall plastic container at the loonie store for transferring the crickets from the keeper area to Froggieville (my vivarium). I take one of the tubes out of the keeper and bang it down in the container and it makes the crickets fall out of the tube into the container. I will then use a baby spoon (again, purchased at the loonie store) to dip into the dust container and add the dust to the crickets, then hold the lid down and "shake n bake" them. I find this process to be quite smooth AND it means I never have to touch the crickets! I can just pour them right into the glass dish in the vivarium.

Thread Information