Thread: Freaked out for a minute

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Freaked out for a minute

I was sitting on the couch when I noticed my GTF being really active in her tank (she doesnt normally move at all during the day) so I went over to check it out. She kept puffing out all weird and had something gooey hanging out of her mouth.

Then I realized it, she was eating her shed!! I hadn't seen her doing any shedding at all, I figured she must be eating it during the night when she is awake.

She looked really weird though because she was trying to get it off her belly and kept stretching and puffing, looked like she was going to throw up or something LOL

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mommyof4froglovers

Default Re: Freaked out for a minute

That is crazy. I would have freaked out also.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I caught her eating her shed again tonight, it was cool because my kids were home this time and got to watch!

Dizzl

Thats pretty sweet! I wold guess that they eat their sheds for the same reason that some small lizards do. Kind of as a way to not be tracked by predators, by not leaving any sighs that they are around, not to mention the benefits from the nutrients that they get from it! Just a thought.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzl View Post
    Thats pretty sweet! I wold guess that they eat their sheds for the same reason that some small lizards do. Kind of as a way to not be tracked by predators, by not leaving any sighs that they are around, not to mention the benefits from the nutrients that they get from it! Just a thought.
    I had heard that they do eat their sheds, but you pretty much never see it because it goes so fast. It really DOES go fast, but we're so lucky to have caught it twice now!

Fae

I see my tree frogs, especially the gray one eating it all the time. The first time I saw it was years ago with my fire bellied toads. I thought he was choking! But, eventually I saw the skin go into his mouth and figured it out.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I was sitting on the couch when I noticed my American Green Tree Frog being really active in her tank (she doesnt normally move at all during the day) so I went over to check it out. She kept puffing out all weird and had something gooey hanging out of her mouth.

Then I realized it, she was eating her shed!! I hadn't seen her doing any shedding at all, I figured she must be eating it during the night when she is awake.

She looked really weird though because she was trying to get it off her belly and kept stretching and puffing, looked like she was going to throw up or something LOL
    I went to edit that but I cant...Supposed to be Gray Tree Frog...I wont do A_T_F anymore since it changes it! I forget that Green tree frogs have the same letters lol

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Amy..your not alone. I think just about every body who sees there frog shed for the first time thinks something is wrong.

Thread Information