Thread: Releasing pac tree frog in outdoor pond?

Zero138

Default Releasing pac tree frog in outdoor pond?

So my frogs were just forced into a smaller enclosure than I would like them to be in, rather than buying a new one I was wondering if they could survive outside? We, honestly don't pay them the proper attention. They were born wild and raised from tadpoles in captivitiy. My coworker has an outdoor pond where frogs have been seen. Besides all legal aspects of this question, hypothetically if a frog who has been captive for it's whole life of 6 months was released into it's natural and native habitat would it survive? Again I know what the laws are this is being asked hypothetically. They would be released in a similar pond to the one they were snagged from. In the same city and same state. If this were going to happen.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

night crawler

Default Re: Releasing pac tree frog in outdoor pond?

Hi there,
    Releasing a captive frog is certainly not something I would recommend for a few simple reasons;
    They are not used to the conditions, so a change from a small tank to the open world would be a very stressful switch for the frog.
    Feeding; this is the biggest problem...in captivity your frog was given food directly therefore would not have the skills needed to move around, locate, and hunt down its own food.
    So the simple answer is no, most likely the frog would not make it...

You mentioned you are unable to give it the proper care, if this is the case I am sure there are many people on this site who would love to adopt a new frog...hopefully someone local will volunteer on this thread. If not I would post in the buy/sell forum and make adds for a free frog.

Hope this helps
    -Kevin

Thread Information