Thread: When is my tree frog an "adult" (i.e. When to stop feeding very frequently?)

Mystictrust

Question When is my tree frog an "adult" (i.e. When to stop feeding very frequently?)

I was under the impression that juvenile frogs need to be fed daily which is what I've done - for the most part - since I got the frog in late December. We basically feed him one cricket per day. I have the feeling, however, that it's time to start feeding him less - not that he looks fat or unhealthy or anything, just a feeling that he's old enough to be fed less frequently, say a cricket every other day and a mealworm every week (we usually give him a mealwork only once a week anyway, I know they're high in fat content).

Seeing as how I got him in late December from Petsmart and have no idea how old he is, would you think that by now he's old enough to be fed every other day or on some other, less frequent feeding schedule?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: When is my tree frog an "adult" (i.e. When to stop feeding very frequently?)

Hi there Mystictrust , Would you be able to give us some more details on your tree frog? What is the species and size, A photo would be good. With my tree frogs while they are juvenile I feed them as much as they will eat and when adults in about two years I feed them as much as they can eat every 2-3 days. But some species of tree frog can over eat so determining the species would be best first.

Mystictrust

Default Re: When is my tree frog an "adult" (i.e. When to stop feeding very frequently?)

Well, he's a dumpy so I believe that makes him Litoria caerulea. I've read that this species does tend to overeat in captivity - though he still doesn't appear to be extra large (or dumpy).

I've attached a few pics, a front view, side view, and then the same side view but with my finger in it for size reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mommyof4froglovers

He still looks little. My daughters is 2 1/2 inches and still need feed lots of crickets. We feed 4 to 5 small crickets every other day.

Thread Information