Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Viv Build

FrogWag

Default 1st Viv Build

We started our Viv today, YEAH!!!! We welcome any thoughts/comments/questions. We are new and could use any help.

We are going to be housing a Red Eyed Tree Frog.

The plan is to build a false bottom that has a waterfall integrated. I've got this idea that I'm going to use a false bottom that will double as a filter/pump system.

I will post a picture soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FrogWag

Default Re: 1st Viv Build - First Picture

Attached is the first picture. The flower pots / foam combination up one back corner is coming along. great. More foam to even it out tomorrow.

Also, the skeleton of the false bottom is just sitting in there for fitment purposes. We have alot to do on that part.

More progress soon.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FrogWag

Default Re: 1st Viv Build - Spray Foam Tip(s)

WEAR GLOVES. WEAR GLOVES & MAKE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES. This stuff is a pain in the butt to get off your hands.

Get one of those pumpkin carving kits. Use the saw blade to carve the foam. It works like a champ.

Did I mention to wear gloves

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 1st Viv Build

Hi..Looking really good . will keep an eye out for updates.

OH! So do you recommend to wear gloves?

Grrrit

this remonds me of my first viv =] looks good!

Nationality
    [United States]

Frogwag,

Looks good. Nice to see you incorporating the different build techniques with this. Just a hint on the water feature. Make sure it flows where you want it to before final setup. I've run into issues with seepage going to places I did not want that wet. I'd recommend running it to fine tune the flow. I use gorilla glue to alter any location I need to adjust the water flow. When it hardens you can cut it with a sharp knife and cover the hard glue with silicone and peat or coconut fiber.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

FrogWag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    Frogwag,

Looks good. Nice to see you incorporating the different build techniques with this. Just a hint on the water feature. Make sure it flows where you want it to before final setup. I've run into issues with seepage going to places I did not want that wet. I'd recommend running it to fine tune the flow. I use gorilla glue to alter any location I need to adjust the water flow. When it hardens you can cut it with a sharp knife and cover the hard glue with silicone and peat or coconut fiber.
    Question: Can the water run through areas that have the peat/coconut fiber? My understanding was that you want to try and keep the running water away from those areas.

My plan was to make the water only run over and across areas that have aquarium rock, and to have the peat/coconut fiber areas get misted by the mister, but not have running water touching them. Thoughts??

Nationality
    [United States]

You don't want the coco fiber soaked and sitting in water. It will breakdown much faster this way. You want it moist but not overly wet. Water running over rocks, pebbles or clay is fine.
    If you use aquarium rock make sure it is larger then the frogs can swallow by accident.

To be honest building water features takes trial and error. I know as my first vivarium was taken apart due to the water soaking the coco fiber way too much. The one I just completed with a water fall going down a piece of wood needed areas to be sealed to prevent leakage and building up some edges. That is where I used the gorilla glue to make the features.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogWag View Post
    Question: Can the water run through areas that have the peat/coconut fiber? My understanding was that you want to try and keep the running water away from those areas.

My plan was to make the water only run over and across areas that have aquarium rock, and to have the peat/coconut fiber areas get misted by the mister, but not have running water touching them. Thoughts??
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

10. This member thanks MikeM670 for this post:

FrogWag

Good to hear, that is exactly what I"m thinking as far as the water and the coco fiber, etc..

I'm planning on securing the aquarium rock with glue, but I will definitely keep an eye out for small bits the frog could swallow....great tip!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    You don't want the coco fiber soaked and sitting in water. It will breakdown much faster this way. You want it moist but not overly wet. Water running over rocks, pebbles or clay is fine.
    If you use aquarium rock make sure it is larger then the frogs can swallow by accident.

To be honest building water features takes trial and error. I know as my first vivarium was taken apart due to the water soaking the coco fiber way too much. The one I just completed with a water fall going down a piece of wood needed areas to be sealed to prevent leakage and building up some edges. That is where I used the gorilla glue to make the features.

FrogWag

We changed the layout of the waterfall tower to better fit in the Viv. Then we added the foam for the water "control". We are going to carve the foam to direct the water, and to make the initial foundation for the pool at the top and bottom.

Grrrit

Looking good! when you put the false bottom in make sure you foam around the gap against the glass and eggcrate. Frogs like to "hide" and get trapped. I wrapped my false bottom in screen to keep then from getting underneath.
    Last edited by Grrrit; May 18th, 2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Typo

FrogWag

I was definitely planning on wrapping the entire structure in screen, not only to prevent stuff from getting in, but also as a medium for which to apply silicone.

As for the outside edges, I was going to push it against the back right wall so there was no gap. Then I was thinking of filling the gap of the front 2 open sides with aquarium rocks, topped with larger rocks. My thought was that the rocks would be a great filter, and would be easy to remove for complete cleaning.

Is this a bad idea because they will get stuck in there? Also, if I foam it in, is it permanent?

=rk

FrogWag

Made big progress on the structure in upper back right; the flower pots attached with foam. Covered them in silicone today then a layer of coconut husk. It looks fantastic, and I think it is going to work just perfect. I can't wait to see what that it looks like when it is humid and damp.

Still wondering about aquarium rocks for a couple inches around the outside of the false bottom and the outside of the tank.

FrogWag

3 pictures attached. One is of the feature from the post above, just rotated the picture correctly. The other is a test of covering the foam with silicone, then aquarium rocks. Looks like that will work perfect. Third picture is of the water fall / pool structure. We decided to cover the whole thing in foam. It is a great combination that worked well in our other feature.

FrogWag

Default Finally More Progress

We had a few days off, but we are back at it. We finished shaping the filter/waterfall/pool assembly. We trial fitted it in this picture. We also put the plants and logs in for trial fit. It looks really cool.

We are wondering.....Should we put in a little less stuff? Do they like tons of cover, or just a few hiding spots??

bshmerlie

Default Re: Finally More Progress

Quote Originally Posted by FrogWag View Post
    We are wondering.....Should we put in a little less stuff? Do they like tons of cover, or just a few hiding spots??
    Funny you should ask....we have a thread going on right now about that very thing.
    Http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...look-like.html

FrogWag

Thanks for the point out. I already went through that thread. I must admit that I'm REALLY enjoying this whole process. I took the girl (its her viv) to the pet store and we both held crickets and frogs to make sure it was cool. We both loved it. Too much fun.

I did a test run with silicone and aquarium rock for the waterfall (see attached pic). However, the rocks will come out with some diligence. Should they be completely fixed and not removable, or just reasonably planted?? I don't want the frog going for some water and getting a rock!@##($(#%(%$

Rat The Unloved

If the rocks are coming free, I'd suggest sort of "grouting" with silicone. Perhaps a mix of silicone and sand. Really pack it in, one small area at a time, then wipe back to expose the tops of the pebbles. It should provide more stability. Of course, it'll take a spell to dry, but nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

FrogWag

Quote Originally Posted by Rat The Unloved View Post

......, but nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
    That is probably one of the main reasons I'm having so much fun.

Thats a great idea with "grouting" the rocks. That should work well. I will test it out and see tonight.

FrogWag

Well "nothing good happens fast in this hobby" couldn't have been more true...

However, we did finish the Viv, and here is a picture.

Name:  IMG_0051.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  103.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information