Thread: Xenopus muelleri

TommyBoi

Default Xenopus muelleri

Hey everyone, I uploaded a videoclip of my male X. muelleri, calling to the female...I wanted to upload it, because the call is very interesting, and very different than the laevis & borealis... to me, it sounds like a ticking timebomb, or one of those manual timers you set when u have something in the oven lol! I hope you like! - DJ Def

YouTube - Xenopus muelleri Clip 5-8-2011

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Xenopus muelleri

love it!!! great video!

Thanks for sharing, definitely an interesting call.

clownonfire

What an interesting call! You are right, it does sound like a timer.

TommyBoi

Glad u guys enjoyed it!! I will of course be keeping you posted on my next breeding success, hopefully within the next week or so ;o) Wish me luck!

chris michaels

Hi Tommy

Thanks for uploading the clip - my male sounded similar when he was calling. What conditions do you have them under? My male stopped calling over the winter and hasn't started again really, yet.

Mine are at about 23C with 12:12 lighting and are fed every three days on earthworm chunks.

All the best

Chris

TommyBoi

Well, I try to make sure they are fed, so they're not concentrating too heavily on "foraging" for food, etc...I have a tank pre-set up with several bushy plants, and during the morning/afternoon, I take the male out from the rest of the colony, and place him in the set-up/breeding tank by himself, and I will wait til the "FOLLOWING" evening, before placing the female in with him, and let nature do the rest, lol...
    However, I tend to be impatient at times, and when I don't isolate the male by himself long enough, he doesnt do the persistent calling ;o( So, with a lil patience, things usually go a LOT better, as far as breeding. In the past 2 weeks, I had a VERY successful X. borealis breeding (over 225 tads hatched, and still doing great) And this morning, all the tads from the albino male/retic female, are hatched (there's around 90 or so tads), but it was such a short spawning, the male let go, about an hour or so into the breeding ;o( But at least I have some albinos, and hopefully, some Retics!
    So, try the method I use, and let me know if it works! Some of my males are easier to get "conditioned", and others just don't feel like mating/calling at all lol.

chris michaels

Thanks for the information. What temperatures are you using? Do you cool the breeding tank as some people do with X. laevis?

Nice one with the borealis and other breedings. I hope the tads do well for you, although 200 odd froglets will be something to contend with!

C

TommyBoi

Currently, all my tanks are room temps between 69-77 degrees. I don't do any additional heating or cooling of the waters. A couple of my local pet shops said they'll take some of the froglets for store credit, so that'll be nice ;o) I really hope to breed my x muelleri pair, once these tads are grown & I have the tanks back, lol.

Angus

Wow! sorry. i'm new here.and i cant believe that there are so many of us who love keeping Xenopus frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Angus:

There are a lot of Xenopus fans on the form. Welcome and enjoy your stay. Please check out the Aquatic frog threads, you will find some interesting stuff
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Angus

i have 13 X. muelleri, 10 X. leavis all at 6 months old and have already starded singing. hey do your guys muelleri's also have 4 clawes instead of 3 like the leavis's do?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

As I understand, X. muelleri has 3 claws on toes 3,4, and 5. There is also a horny tubercle one one toe that looks like a claw. The only species I can think of 4 claws is X. tropicalis of western Africa.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Tommyboi - - def have to let me know when you are selling some offspring! I would love to get my hands on some in the future!
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Thread Information