Thread: Deformed Tree frogs

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Deformed Tree frogs

Its the time of year where all my frogs go into hibernation.

I have been wondering whether or not to put My deformed Southern bell frog's (Inshallah & Philomenia) into hibernation or not. They are now over a year old and in good condition. Last year they did not hibernate as I felt they needed more of a chance to grow considering their deformity. Im wondering what you guys think? The frogs that I breed only tend to breed when they have been in hibernation. Im not planning on breeding Inshallah & Philomenia so is it necessary to have them hibernate? I have always thought it best to simulate there natural life if out in the wild. I have also enclosed photo's of their progress. I came across them in a pet shop where they were being bitten by normally formed frogs and had to be separated so my heart went out to them and brought them home. I would really like some advise.

I do miss my frogs when they Hibernate so it would be nice to have these too to around.

I have enclosed a few of photo's of when I got them and now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ibbigpapa

Default Re: Deformed Tree frogs

What type of deformity are we talking about. They look pretty happy and health .I also think its a great thing you did .To take them and love them even knowing there's something not right with them.We kinda did the same thing with our corgi puppy she was the runtist little thing and everybody was paying attention to her siblings and not her and we felt bad for her and we couldn't be any more happy with her. So I take my hat off to you. Someones got to love them might as well be you. Also once again thanks for your response on one of my other threads. Bye

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi bigpapa, They have deformed back legs. They are looking much better now than when I first brought them home.
    This is the thread from then...What to do...deformed Tree frogs Like you with your Corgi I have had so much enjoyment from these guys and they have just the coolest personalities.

ibbigpapa

Yes she definitely landed at the right place. As she to is quite the character I think that there situations are what gives them there uniqueness and a great personality. Well keep me post thanks

lnaminneci

Hey Ebony!

I remember when you first got Inshallah and Philomenia. They are looking Wonderful, happy, and healthy, even with the leg abnormalities. It is amazing how frogs can adapt, and still live a happy life with a kind hearted person like you who cares and gives them that chance.

I don't know much about hibernation, but if you're not planning on breeding them it maybe ok to let them stay awake, and have all of your attentions!

Great photos, they are beautiful frogs!

~Lesley

Kurt

I wouldn't bother hibernating them.

How do you put them into hibernation any specific things?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Quote Originally Posted by lnaminneci View Post
    Hey Ebony!

I remember when you first got Inshallah and Philomenia. They are looking Wonderful, happy, and healthy, even with the leg abnormalities. It is amazing how frogs can adapt, and still live a happy life with a kind hearted person like you who cares and gives them that chance.

I don't know much about hibernation, but if you're not planning on breeding them it maybe ok to let them stay awake, and have all of your attentions!

Great photos, they are beautiful frogs!

~Lesley
    Thanks Lesley, These guys have a real special spot in my heart. Im glad they made it. They are male and female and Inshallah (male greener frog) has been croaking so theres nothing wrong in that area...lol.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I wouldn't bother hibernating them.
    Ok, Thanks Kurt..I will take yours and Lesley's advise and have there company this winter.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    How do you put them into hibernation any specific things?

Hi Luke..As Inshallah & Phillomenia are Southern Bells and can actually handle the cold here in Christchurch, but since they have never lived outside I was thinking if I did hibernate them I would do as I do for the Green and Goldens as they cannot handle the winters here. I put them in an unheated room for the winter. They slow down with eating till eventually they dont eat at all. In reference to your frogs (Green & Goldens)..they dont generally bury down..in fact they can sit out as normal but just eventually dont move around. I find the females tend to sit out more but the males will sit behind or under things. I dont disturb them or clean the enclosure at all during the hibernation period. (make sure you give a thorough clean out before they hibernate). If they are in a room that you need to turn on the light then cover the enclosure at night.
    My adult Southern bell frogs live in an outdoor froggery (see Southern Bell frog Album) so they just automatically go into hibernation along with my Whistlers. They have always lived outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Hi Luke..As Inshallah & Phillomenia are Southern Bells and can actually handle the cold here in Christchurch, but since they have never lived outside I was thinking if I did hibernate them I would do as I do for the Green and Goldens as they cannot handle the winters here. I put them in an unheated room for the winter. They slow down with eating till eventually they dont eat at all. In reference to your frogs (Green & Goldens)..they dont generally bury down..in fact they can sit out as normal but just eventually dont move around. I find the females tend to sit out more but the males will sit behind or under things. I dont disturb them or clean the enclosure at all during the hibernation period. (make sure you give a thorough clean out before they hibernate). If they are in a room that you need to turn on the light then cover the enclosure at night.
    My adult Southern bell frogs live in an outdoor froggery (see Southern Bell frog Album) so they just automatically go into hibernation along with my Whistlers. They have always lived outside.
    Thanks Ebony I haven't cleaned them out as I put some big bits of bark in and made like a cave with it, the gap between the bark and the floor is about 5cm and Jabba has been under there for just over a week Camo has been there for nearly a week and Tim Tam is still moving around and ate a massive moth I found 2 days ago and is still fat and is currently sat on a stick. Should I clean out the tank my worry is disturbing Camo and Jabba.

clownonfire

Ebony, I'm not surprised one bit by the amazing care you give your frogs. Lucky little amphibians, that's for sure.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thank you Eric

@ Luke..When did you last clean it out? Did you sort the wet soil?

I did sort it but I haven't been able to find any safe silicones so the water proof bag I've put over the stones has a few holes in it which the water has leaked back into the soil from It's not as wet as it was but it's still damp. I cleaned it out about 3 months ago now but I take out any poo and mouldy/rotting stuff that occasionally crops up.

Thread Information