Thread: Pacific Chorus Frog Feeding & Breeding Questions

Toitle

Default Pacific Chorus Frog Feeding & Breeding Questions

I have some questions about the Pacific Chorus Frog...

Currently they are still tads, but once they're finished morphing, can I feed them small pinhead crickets or will they not be able to swallow them? If I can't feed them that, what should I feed them when young?

I know this is jumping ahead, but I would really like to breed these guys, hopefully by this time next year. The water in the tank is a little over 1" deep. In the tightest areas, the water is 1" wide, while in the largest areas, the water is over 2" wide. I've read that Pacific Chorus Frogs breed in waters 6" deep or more. Is that true? Would there be any chance of getting them to lay eggs in the water in my viv? If they wouldn't, would they lay eggs if I put a deep cup of water in, around 6"+ deep and 4" or more wide?

Thanks for any help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ibbigpapa

Default Re: Pacific Chorus Frog Feeding & Breeding Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Toitle View Post
    I have some questions about the Pacific Chorus Frog...

Currently they are still tads, but once they're finished morphing, can I feed them small pinhead crickets or will they not be able to swallow them? If I can't feed them that, what should I feed them when young?

I know this is jumping ahead, but I would really like to breed these guys, hopefully by this time next year. The water in the tank is a little over 1" deep. In the tightest areas, the water is 1" wide, while in the largest areas, the water is over 2" wide. I've read that Pacific Chorus Frogs breed in waters 6" deep or more. Is that true? Would there be any chance of getting them to lay eggs in the water in my viv? If they wouldn't, would they lay eggs if I put a deep cup of water in, around 6"+ deep and 4" or more wide?

Thanks for any help!
    Hello. You are not moving to fast its a good thing your starting to ask these question ahead of time. I to am a beginner but I didn't look that far in to the future and when they start morphing it goes pretty quick as I'm finding out. I to have pcf or a sub specie I think they might be baja californian treefrogs. Anyways when mine were tads I just fed them lettuce which had been boiled for about 10 minutes in the micro and I've had almost all of them starting to morph. I've learned that they don't really eat while absorbing there tails and I've tried everything dead at first bloodworm,crickets,froggy pellets as I had no response from them I switched to live foods pin heads were still to big cause they are tiny after they morph I did get some of them to go after some type small larve worm I caugt in the bacyard but I have gang loads turning so that was not going to work . What finally worked is flight less fruit flies Which is why its good your looking ahead cuz to get some pretty good #s of them it takes awhile to culture them about 10 to14 days. I didn't look that far ahead so its costing me extra cash to get enough to feed them and get the cultures going. And that's basically what I've learned so far let me know how it goes. Or if you have any tid bits of info to share please feel free you can never have to much info. So good luck I hope this was helpful. Bye

Toitle

Quote Originally Posted by ibbigpapa View Post
    Hello. You are not moving to fast its a good thing your starting to ask these question ahead of time. I to am a beginner but I didn't look that far in to the future and when they start morphing it goes pretty quick as I'm finding out. I to have pcf or a sub specie I think they might be baja californian treefrogs. Anyways when mine were tads I just fed them lettuce which had been boiled for about 10 minutes in the micro and I've had almost all of them starting to morph. I've learned that they don't really eat while absorbing there tails and I've tried everything dead at first bloodworm,crickets,froggy pellets as I had no response from them I switched to live foods pin heads were still to big cause they are tiny after they morph I did get some of them to go after some type small larve worm I caugt in the bacyard but I have gang loads turning so that was not going to work . What finally worked is flight less fruit flies Which is why its good your looking ahead cuz to get some pretty good #s of them it takes awhile to culture them about 10 to14 days. I didn't look that far ahead so its costing me extra cash to get enough to feed them and get the cultures going. And that's basically what I've learned so far let me know how it goes. Or if you have any tid bits of info to share please feel free you can never have to much info. So good luck I hope this was helpful. Bye
    Thanks for the info. When I was 5-9 years old I would catch Pacific Tree Frogs every year. I didn't know anything about keeping them so I put them in a container with dirt and want and fed them small pinhead crickets from the very beginning and they were able to swallow them. My vivarium has a netting cover and I don't want fruit flies crawling around my house. I'm not sure if springtails can climb, but if they can't I'll get them at my local vivarium store. My pet store cultures pinhead crickets and they have some extremely small ones that froglets can eat.

ibbigpapa

I wasn't to keen on the fly thing either but when I saw that they were flight less I thought what the heck.My froglets are all only simi captive the only really intervention by me was feeding them. There parents found a wheel barrow and a 10 gallon fish tank in our backyard. During a 5 day rain storm we had a couple of months back suitable to breed in . So most of the ones in the wheel barrow are just kinda wondering off and hopefully finding food I haven't yet seen any dead. But there is a lip on the fish tank so they really can't just hop off. I have also set up bog wood for the morphing tads so they can get up out of the water but like I said once they get strong enough or big enough to jump 4 to5 inchs they to will wonder off. That's where first off pinheads were to big and they were small and also surrounded by water a lot of them drowned .But the flightless flies have pretty good legs on them and cruz around the wood and don't fall in to the water and drown and were suprizingly easy to put in tank and stayed there till all were eaten no escapies. I think after all is said and done I may just keep several of them to breed next year but. The rest once there full n ready will be released and hope some keep coming back. Each situation is different but they sure did gobble up those flies n I had tried many other things . If you try out sping tails and the gobblem up let me know. Thanks bye

Toitle

One is out of the water. He is currently eating pinheads.

Anyone know the answer to my second question in my main post?

ibbigpapa

Hey toitle! How's it been going? Sounds like its been going well.Glad to hear your tads have started there morphing process and that there eating pinheads.On my end things are going pretty good to but am still having a couple of problems here and there.Here's one of my problems as I've said before my frogs are pretty much free to roam away when there feeling up to it.which is a problem on its own but some of my little friends have meet untimly deathes by jumping out of the wheel barrow a little to soon or maybe just to wet.ONce they make there leap of faith and they hit the concrete it sucks them dry and if I don't find them quick enough there turned in to froglet chips.It has been a little hectic as this can happen in a matter of minutes.So I've been trying to keep it moist and I do a lot of checks day an night. I have also done a couple of releases of 25 to30 froglets down by the creek bed.I have also picked them off the lawn and spread them out all around the front and backyard where there's stuff for them to eat.So needless to say I've been quite busy with these frogs and probably still have 200 maybe 300 hundred left to morph but were getting close. I think I'm might keep 4 of them for next years spawn. Goodluck with your froglets thanks for listening.It nice to have a place to unload. Lol

Thread Information