Thread: Whites tree frog baby is not eating: took him to a vet who said that he looks just fine

Pond Lilly

Default Whites tree frog baby is not eating: took him to a vet who said that he looks just fine

Hello,

I am a new member, and unfortunately already have some issues with my baby whites tree frog. I got him March 15 from Petsmart, the guy at the store told me he has not been growing much compared to others, but I took him anyway. He has been eating just fine up until 2 weeks or so ago. I fed him crickets, butterworms, wax worms and some wild moth, like carpenter moth I got with my Zoo Med Napper. I have another frog same age, in separate enclosure who has been getting same things and he is just fine.
    So about 2 weeks ago he started to shed and stopped eating completely. He looks fine and active, and two days ago tried to get a cricket but was too clumsy. But he refuses to eat from tongs (which he did before by the way) and i general has not been eating.

I soak him 2x a day in pedialite and honey for 15 minutes and finally took him to the vet today. She told me that she could not see anything wrong with him, he weights 6 grams, looks good, no evidence of any fungus, red leg, etc, his bones feel fine and in general he looks good but with empty belly which is expected. She suspected parasites and gave me ivermecin and panacur, but she sounded like she really has no clue what is going on.
    What can I do to make him eat and what could be wrong with him?
    I keep temp 80 and humidity 50+.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites tree frog baby is not eating: took him to a vet who said that he looks just fine

The picture show a pretty good looking frog. Are you finding any poop in his/her home?

Try bringing humidity up a little and let temps drop at night to about 70 degrees.
    I would also try the cricket bowl feeding method so s/he can hunt them. Heres a link to info on using the cricket bowl,
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html

Let us know how things are doing too.
    Also pics of the viv would help others attempt to help.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Leefrogs

Default Re: Whites tree frog baby is not eating: took him to a vet who said that he looks just fine

Ya, looks nice and chubby yet. Sometimes when my whites eat a big meal, or continually eat, they take a break for a few days. He could have trouble pooping, maybe a warm bath. You probably had done that(kind of) with the honey/pedialite, recomended temps of 75-80. Hopefully he made a poo.

Good luck!

Pond Lilly

Thank you very much for all replies! I will try a candy bowl, but I really doubt it will help. He had crickets crawling all over him and he did not care. I offered him crickets, wax worms, butterworms, moth, he just squirms and refuses to take any. He also moves his little arms, like "I do not want it! Take it away!" I can clearly see he is hungry as he sometimes has this "alert frog"look, but something seems to preventing him from actually getting it.
    Here are the pictures of his enclosure, he lives in a bin, but it has a screen lid, so the ventilation should be good, I also change water once a day and clean it all once a week. In the picture he is taking his pedialite bath.
    This is very stressful and I am very upset I could not figure out what is wrong. I will get the humidity up as has been suggested. Thank you!

The last time he pooped was a few days after he stopped eating, since then no poop, but the vet said she does not think he has anything in there, he is empty all the way.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Leefrogs

He's probably really stressed in that bin. Height is an issue, privacy another. Mine like heavy plant cover, places to hide, and like to climb up to the top corner to sleep. I would look into getting a 20 gallon and doing a conversion(door kit) to make him more comfortable. I did a home conversion for 12$, photos are in my alblum.

Thread Information