Thread: Wild Caught Care

clownonfire

Default Wild Caught Care

Hi all,

Being that I will be receiving some Wild Caught (WC) Atelopus spumarius next week, I have been researching what are the best practices when it comes to WC frogs. So much of this information has been valuable to me. I'm very happy to share it back with you. From the information I have gathered, here are the three main challenges:

1. Quarantine
    2. Potential diseases
    3. Treatment

1. Quarantine

WC frogs should be kept away from the rest of your collection. Basically, you want to make sure there is no cross contamination. Bio security and diligence are important so to not expose the rest of your frogs to potential threats. There's always a risk of Chytrid, of course. But other bacterial infections and parasites shouldn't be neglected. As Mark Pepper puts it: "Wild caught can be tricky, and ailments can arise even several months after acquisition." A quarantine tank should be simple. When a frog is in quarantine, and if treatment is given to that frog, the quarantine tank will need to be sterilized each time the frogs is introduced back after treatment. That means bleaching the tank and rinsing it with pure water. The tank should also be functional so the frog feels secure in it.

For example, for the Atelopus quarantine tank, a wet paper towel will be used to keep the tank moist. But as frogs dislike the color white, I will add some leaf litter over the paper towel, which I will change each day after the treatment. Everything in that tank will need to be bleached, even the plastic plants I will use.

Anything you use during the time these frogs are in quarantine should either be thrown after, or disinfected and sterilized after usage.

Finally, the quarantine tank should be kept in another room, away from your collection.

2. Potential diseases

When in quarantine, you will want to observe your frog. From what I have read, some infections/diseases are easy to spot, like nose rub. Some less. This is why I suggest that your WC frog should be seen by a vet when you first get it, especially when it comes from an importer. I am not saying all importers are bad people. I'm just saying that it is hard to know how the animal was treated, and how/where/with whom the animal was kept. Again, one word: Chytrid.

3. Treatment

Anti-fungal/ringers solution bath, topical antibiotic, regular antibiotic... Depending on where you live, some treatments are available over the counter (ex. Lamasil AT -Terbinafine Hydrochloride 1% - for Chytrid in the US and Maracyn as a systemic antibiotic in pet shops). Some others will require a prescription, again depending where you live (Silver sulfadiazine for nose rubs or Itraconazole for Chytrid).

Before any treatment, make sure you have enough information on what you are doing. Talk to hobbyists, consult a vet. Read, ask questions. Do it for your frog.

I have found a great article on how to treat your frog for Chytrid, using Lamasil AT: Lamisil Treament for Chytridiomycosis in African Dwarf Frogs.

This is simply a summary of all the information I have gathered within the last weeks. It is incomplete, and should only be used as a starter point.

I also need to thank everyone who has provided all this valuable information: Ed Kowalski, Corey Wickliffe, Shawn Harrington, Michael Lawrence and Mark Pepper, to name just a few.

Eric

2. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Wild Caught Care

Another procedure that I use when I have animals in quarantine is to do all your feeding or cleaning with all your other animals first and the last thing you do is feed and care for the quarantined animals. And do NOT go back to the originals. Put a sign on your original tanks reminding you to avoid cross contamination.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This is very good information Eric, Great thread.
    I would also be interested in the behavior of wild caught frogs as apposed to captive bred. I have not kept a wild caught frog before and wondered if they show any more stress than a captive bred frog and how much longer it might take them to settle to their new environment. I realize it may just depend on the frog and the actual environment they are put into but I would like to know how your guys settle in. I know its stressful time for any change to a frogs environment but just wondered if there was any noticeable difference. Its just something I have often wondered.

I will be waiting for the photo's of these guys as Ive seen pic's of them and I think they are simply beautiful frogs. Roll on next week

clownonfire

That's a good point, Ebony. Once I get my Atelopus, I'll start a thread on them. I was very lucky that mine already passed the quarantine period and treatment at my friend's place. Definitely makes it easier to welcome them.

Thread Information