Thread: Hello! 1st time frogger with some questions

ibbigpapa

Red face Hello! 1st time frogger with some questions

Hello everyone let me start off by saying I have never really owned or cared for frogs. So here is the story we live in california and a month or two ago
    we had a big rain storm that lasted for 5 to 6 days none stop. During this rain storm the frogs were croaking none stop and I had noticed that some of the frogs were in a wheel barrow in the backyard . After the rain I noticed the egg sac's coating the wheel barrow. We have a 4 year old daughter and when she found out about them she wanted to keep them my wife on the other hand did not want them . My daughter made a good case that she could bring some to school so we hatched them. Once they started hatching we were amazed at how many there were approximately 300 to 400 hundred in the wheel barrow and we noticed another 100 or so in a 10 gallon fish tank. Needless to say we keep feeding them boiled lettuce and now here comes my questions they are starting to morph in to frogs. Q1 when they have all four limbs and tail is it normal for them not to eat. Q2 once they have lost there tail what is best to feed them. I've been trying to feed them dead bloodworms but they don't seam interested in them I've also tried dead two week old crickets but there to big for them to eat. Q3 I think that they are baja california treefrogs do they fall in to the sub specie of the pacific chores frog? .Q4 seeing as they have kinda been captive should I just let them wonder away from there home or should I release them down by a creek bed. Q5 will there instinct kick in and will they be able to feed themselves . Well sorry I gave you guys a life history ill save some for my next post .lol. Any feedback would be great thanks for listening.

Leefrogs

Default Re: Hello! 1st time frogger with some questions

They won't eat until tails are disolved, when they do eat, it will have to be live and moving. Yes, instinct will kick in and they will venture off to find food. You could get some solar lights(yard stake type) that will attract bugs to their level. I don't know about species, but posting will help bump this up!!

ibbigpapa

Default Re: Hello! 1st time frogger with some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    They won't eat until tails are disolved, when they do eat, it will have to be live and moving. Yes, instinct will kick in and they will venture off to find food. You could get some solar lights(yard stake type) that will attract bugs to their level. I don't know about species, but posting will help bump this up!!
    Hey Ginger,N,Lee thank you so very much for your help I never even thought about putting out lights closer to the ground to attract bugs at there level. I have been turning on all the porch lights for them. Excellent idea I will do just that. I have also started to have some success with getting some of them to eat. I first tried pin head crickets but they were still to large I guess. So then I went to flightless fruit flies and bingo we had quite a few takers I was so pleased to finially see some of them eating.I just wish I would have been a little more prepared so I could have been culturing the flies ahead of time because they went througe two vials right off the bat. I guess you live an learn. Once I figure out how to get a photo album going I will post some photos of the little guys. Once again thank you for your response your the first to respond to this post and I will be sure and lower some lighting for them. If you or anyone else has any ideas please post them .I sure could use all the help I can get. Also if anyone would like some and are any where close by let me know they are free. Thanks

Thread Information